Singapore Expats

Stupid news articles

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Stupid news articles

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 31 May 2023 5:16 pm

tiktok wrote:
Wed, 31 May 2023 2:56 pm
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/ma ... st-3525066

Headline: Malaysian girl hospitalised after eating cannabis-laced biscuits, dad arrested

OMG this is exactly the dangers we have been warned about! This dangerous narcotic is killing children. We are so lucky that we hang people who try to bring in this drug to our safe clean country.

Yes, these will be the thoughts of the average PAP supporter. But let's look at the facts:

- The biscuits have not been tested for cannabis
- The girl has not been tested to see if she consumed cannabis
- The father tested positive for cannabis

It's a pretty amazing feat of logic to get from these facts to "cannabis-laced biscuits".

After the sensational and misleading headline, CNA closes the article with the advice "not to make any speculations about the case". Too bad they didn't follow this advice.
Must've been a slow news day.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 31 May 2023 5:21 pm

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 31 May 2023 4:36 pm
tiktok wrote:
Wed, 31 May 2023 2:56 pm
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/ma ... st-3525066

Headline: Malaysian girl hospitalised after eating cannabis-laced biscuits, dad arrested

OMG this is exactly the dangers we have been warned about! This dangerous narcotic is killing children. We are so lucky that we hang people who try to bring in this drug to our safe clean country.

Yes, these will be the thoughts of the average PAP supporter. But let's look at the facts:

- The biscuits have not been tested for cannabis
- The girl has not been tested to see if she consumed cannabis
- The father tested positive for cannabis

It's a pretty amazing feat of logic to get from these facts to "cannabis-laced biscuits".

After the sensational and misleading headline, CNA closes the article with the advice "not to make any speculations about the case". Too bad they didn't follow this advice.
It is a copy of the same article doing the rounds in the Malaysian media. Word for word.

The highlighted portion - the reading comprehension is not very strong here. Either that or you deliberately chose to twist the facts to suit your narrative. Hint - they quoted the Perak police chief, it's not CNA telling you that. Big difference.
I do think that they are guilty of it too, it's a well-known fact that news outlets are selective about the information and quotes that they include in order to further their own agendas, whatever they may be.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Mon, 05 Jun 2023 12:14 pm

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... fma-orders

The Singapore government has blocked internet access to the news site The Asia Sentinel.

Asia Sentinel published an article about Singapore's unreasonable treatment of dissent. The Singapore government issued a POFMA order on the site. However, Asia Sentinel stands by the facts in the article and, as a US based site, refused to comply. So the site has been blocked in Singapore, although it's still available to anyone with a VPN or preexisting email subscription. The Sentinel have posted a follow up article with extra evidence to back up their claims, no less compelling than the assertions in the POFMA order.

This is only going to backfire on Singapore as now the whole world will see how the government uses heavy handed laws to impose its own version of the truth on its citizens.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Post by jalanjalan » Mon, 05 Jun 2023 3:23 pm

"MHA added: “If Asia Sentinel truly believes in free speech, it should be happy for its readers to read both the article and the correction notice, and make up their own minds which is true.”"

ps. never heard of this site til now. Dare say I won't miss it.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Mon, 05 Jun 2023 7:27 pm

And Asia Sentinel did display the POFMA notice at the top of the disputed article. I just checked and it's still there. So that statement by the MHA is nonsense.

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jalanjalan » Mon, 05 Jun 2023 10:53 pm

So, they thought better of their claims and did as MHA asked? Wise move.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Mon, 05 Jun 2023 11:00 pm

Here's what LKY's other son thinks about it: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tid=Nif5oz

My money's on the PAP losing the next election.

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jalanjalan » Tue, 06 Jun 2023 11:06 am

You do realise there are no other viable parties to form a government at this point, and Singaporeans are, above all, practical, and don't vote on single issues, especially ones involving personal clashes that have nothing to do with our everyday lives. Much less on the opinions of people based overseas. It is a mistake to assume someone who runs away and launches barbs at Singapore from afar has any appreciable local support.

Even if by some fluke a new party did manage to form the government next election, they'd have to become very much like the old one instantly, or they'd be turfed out by voters. If you don't understand this, you haven't been paying attention during your time in Singapore (if you've even actually been here).

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Tue, 06 Jun 2023 11:22 am

Who says there are no viable opposition parties?
Who says voters want a replica of the PAP?

Oh, only the mainstream media say that.

Check comments on the CNA and ST Facebook pages, then you'll see what the prevailing public opinion is. People are sick of the PAP. E.g.
https://www.facebook.com/129011692114/p ... l/?app=fbl
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tid=Nif5oz

If you're suggesting Lee Hsien Yang "ran away" that's funny. He left because he feared for his safety. Seeing how other government opponents have been imprisoned and sued to bankruptcy, that's a reasonable fear.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 06 Jun 2023 12:03 pm

From my interactions with Singaporeans I’d say the split is roughly 1/3 are “whole heartedly for” the current regime, at least another 1/3 “simply accept” the currently regime and at most 1/3 (or less) are “whole heartedly for” regime change, no matter the cost.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jalanjalan » Tue, 06 Jun 2023 12:37 pm

Singaporeans are champion complainers, that doesn't mean we want "regime change", as we can see for ourselves how that generally works out in other countries. Can you imagine a new, inexperienced govt making sudden changes to policy? How do you think Singaporeans would react when these changes hit home? Anyone who has lived in Singapore knows and probably cringes at the very thought. Opposition parties know this too, I'm pretty sure, at least the most experienced one does. What's their nickname? ;)

There are many reasons why there isn't a viable opposition to form the govt at this time. I can give you one simple example. Opposition parties focus almost exclusively on local issues, within Singapore's borders, affecting only SCs. This is, ironically, possible because the current govt has done all the heavy lifting internationally to give us a place in the world. It is remarkable how big a voice tiny SG has in international venues, and this takes years of relationship building with other countries, and opposition politicians simply don't have that. It's not exactly their fault, as they haven't had the chance, but it is a fact. As a Singaporean, I want the best person for the job.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 06 Jun 2023 9:37 pm

When I ask people who are for regime change what specific policy changes they want to see, they usually come up blank. Mostly they just want power out of current hands.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 06 Jun 2023 11:36 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 06 Jun 2023 9:37 pm
When I ask people who are for regime change what specific policy changes they want to see, they usually come up blank. Mostly they just want power out of current hands.
My 2c - the opposition doesn't really have many ideas. Whatever issues they seem to rake up are populist ones. Hard to picture some of these guys as worthy alternatives.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Wed, 07 Jun 2023 7:55 am

Could it be that those ideas get no coverage in the press? Here's the SDPs policy on healthcare reform for example. It might not be the best idea but at least you can't say they have none.
https://yoursdp.org/2019/05/11/sdp_39_s ... stainable/

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Jun 2023 11:19 am

It might not be the best idea but at least you can't say they have none.
From where I sit, a bad idea that doesn't come up to what is already in existence isn't any different than none. Back to tilting at windmills and general trolling, are we?
tiltwindmill.GIF
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers