Singapore Expats

Stupid news articles

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Stupid news articles

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 21 Mar 2023 3:05 am

jalanjalan wrote:
Mon, 20 Mar 2023 3:50 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 19 Mar 2023 9:58 pm
jalanjalan wrote:
Sun, 19 Mar 2023 2:53 pm

or maybe because it's more relevant to our lives. All I know is I'm not inheriting anything from the estate so why worry about it :wink:
Just very unsettling to see firsthand how some of the family members who are supposed to be upstanding and law-abiding manipulate the law for their own agendas.
The whole affair doesn't unsettle me, as I'm not privy to who really did what. I believe investigations are ongoing and I dare say they'll get to the bottom of it.
If they do get to the bottom of it, and don't like what comes up, I'm not sure the information will ever be made public.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 21 Mar 2023 3:06 am

tiktok wrote:
Mon, 20 Mar 2023 5:37 pm
jalanjalan wrote:
Sun, 19 Mar 2023 2:53 pm
or maybe because it's more relevant to our lives. All I know is I'm not inheriting anything from the estate so why worry about it :wink:
LHL is desperate for popularity. The Merdeka generation are dying off and getting diluted by immigrants. He has the charisma of a stone.
His best bet is to to milk his father's legacy for all it's worth.

But unfortunately for him, LKY left no statues, memorials, parks or roads named after him, not even a grave. People are forgetting about him. What's needed is to preserve the Lee family home, make into a kind of shrine to Singapore's founders, and a focus for the idea that the Lee family and the PAP are rightful rulers for eternity. Don't forget LHL's son is being groomed to take over - 3 generations of Lee's anyone?

That's what's really behind this drama. Every Singaporean should be aware how they are being manipulated.
Yeah, he needs to stop relying on his father's legacy for legitimacy.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Tue, 21 Mar 2023 2:12 pm

jalanjalan wrote:
Mon, 20 Mar 2023 8:44 pm
Oh, I'm sure we'll be ok.
And why do you think that exactly? Because that's what the government has been telling you your whole life?
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Post by jalanjalan » Tue, 21 Mar 2023 9:29 pm

tiktok wrote:
Tue, 21 Mar 2023 2:12 pm
jalanjalan wrote:
And why do you think that exactly? Because that's what the government has been telling you your whole life?
Yup that must be it. I had to listen to someone and it was either them or random people on the internet :wink:

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Tue, 21 Mar 2023 9:38 pm

jalanjalan wrote:
Tue, 21 Mar 2023 9:29 pm
tiktok wrote:
jalanjalan wrote:
Yup that must be it. I had to listen to someone and it was either them or random people on the internet :wink:
Yup don't listen to anyone on this forum for sure, but do read sources of news other than the government mouthpieces CNA and SPH, although this being a rather small country you may have to search a little for in-depth reporting.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jalanjalan » Tue, 21 Mar 2023 10:17 pm

tiktok wrote:
Tue, 21 Mar 2023 9:38 pm
jalanjalan wrote:
tiktok wrote:

Yup don't listen to anyone on this forum for sure, but do read sources of news other than the government mouthpieces CNA and SPH, although this being a rather small country you may have to search a little for in-depth reporting.

So, I should think critically, read widely and be aware of biases? now there's an idea.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 22 Mar 2023 12:46 am

tiktok wrote:
jalanjalan wrote:
As the older generation dies out we're bound to experience a political shift. In fact, it's already begun. The WP is catching up quickly.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 22 Mar 2023 12:47 am

jalanjalan wrote:
tiktok wrote:
jalanjalan wrote:
LOL

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 22 Mar 2023 12:48 am

tiktok wrote:
Tue, 21 Mar 2023 9:38 pm
jalanjalan wrote:
tiktok wrote:

Pretty sure most of us here are perceptive enough to look past propaganda.

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jalanjalan » Wed, 22 Mar 2023 11:53 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 22 Mar 2023 12:46 am
tiktok wrote:
jalanjalan wrote:
As the older generation dies out we're bound to experience a political shift. In fact, it's already begun. The WP is catching up quickly.
They are learning, and serving a useful purpose. However they are mostly inward looking, and SG politics is not all domestic. My hope for the younger generation is to have a good understanding of the historical context of SG, and SEA, so they understand why certain decisions were made, and why they still matter (this is pretty recent history after all). There is an excellent series of lectures by Prof Wang Gungwu at IPS, available on youtube. Well worth a watch.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Mar 2023 1:34 am

Will give them a look. And yes, what the younger generation has in terms of fresh ideas, they tend to lack in historical understanding.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Mar 2023 5:51 pm

I believe someone said 'he who ignores history is doomed to repeat it'. The new generation already doesn't know squat about the local history and I think, if there isn't a major shift in the mind-set the little red will not survive to see 2050. Even my own country is well on the way to self-implosion, I fear.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 24 Mar 2023 12:12 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 23 Mar 2023 5:51 pm
I believe someone said 'he who ignores history is doomed to repeat it'. The new generation already doesn't know squat about the local history and I think, if there isn't a major shift in the mind-set the little red will not survive to see 2050. Even my own country is well on the way to self-implosion, I fear.
Why do you say that? I actually think that in many ways, the new generation is very conscious of the past, and is careful to make a change for the future. We see this in the crazy amount of openness and persistent efforts for inclusivity.

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jalanjalan » Fri, 24 Mar 2023 1:02 pm

To be fair, young people with a deep interest in history are few wherever you go, but Singapore does have its fair share of history enthusiasts who are 30s and under. I know of ones active in natural history, geography, archeology, arts and culture, politics, architecture, genealogy, you name it. I think there is still interest there, I just wish youngsters had more time and encouragement to explore it.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 25 Mar 2023 3:17 am

Most youngsters have interests that they care deeply about, but the number who are interested in topics of the past are dwindling, understandably so as they shift their focus to the future.