Singapore Expats

Now which Cigarette in SG is the cheapest?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Now which Cigarette in SG is the cheapest?

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 19 Feb 2023 2:43 am

SGBoyxxx wrote:
Tue, 14 Feb 2023 11:45 pm
SO today budget day ,

so far property tax , luxury car tax increase....also for cigarettes....

I a smoker currently smoking LD Red last few days I bought from my neighbourhood shop cost me 12 bucks. Now I wonder how much it will cost?
I am actually curious how most Singaporeans, smoker or not, feel about this. Personally, I've never smoked a stick in my life, just never was my thing. I think it would be smarter to ban smoking altogether like in New Zealand, though I can see how that would be hard for many people. I just think cigarettes are terrible for the environment and for those who have to inhale the secondhand smoke. This last point is especially unfortunate because ironically it is those who choose not to smoke that end up getting the brunt of the effects.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:35 am

so currently which Red at least affordable fellow smoker? Or Vape? I know is illegal to vape now even own it. I used to vape try before in another country but end up prefer smoking. :) I know for health purpose but for me. Is just like drinking but I never drink , I only smoke.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:37 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 19 Feb 2023 2:39 am
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 16 Feb 2023 9:14 pm
I smoked my last cigarette on 14 Dec 2004 at 14:30 hours. Took two drags and stubbed it out and crumpled half a pack of Marlboro Lights. Have never had one since.
You really seem to have a military level of discipline.
Lisa, that actually caused a belly-laugh. Had I really had a military level of discipline I would have never started smoking. I didn't start smoking until almost 2 years after I came back from the NAM. I guess I was around 22 years of age when I started. I didn't start drinking until I was 27. But yes, I do have military level of discipline once I make up my mind. Flying a chopper in the NAM you better have discipline or your didn't come home. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 20 Feb 2023 12:40 am

SGBoyxxx wrote:
Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:35 am
so currently which Red at least affordable fellow smoker? Or Vape? I know is illegal to vape now even own it. I used to vape try before in another country but end up prefer smoking. :) I know for health purpose but for me. Is just like drinking but I never drink , I only smoke.
Affordability is relative. The tax applies to all cigarettes sold in Singapore. The only way you could bypass this is to buy cigarettes from illegitimate sources, which you would do at your own risk. Other than that, I guess the only affordable one would be what was previously the cheapest one as it would have experienced the smallest price increase.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 20 Feb 2023 12:41 am

Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:37 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 16 Feb 2023 9:14 pm
I smoked my last cigarette on 14 Dec 2004 at 14:30 hours. Took two drags and stubbed it out and crumpled half a pack of Marlboro Lights. Have never had one since.
Lisa, that actually caused a belly-laugh. Had I really had a military level of discipline I would have never started smoking. I didn't start smoking until almost 2 years after I came back from the NAM. I guess I was around 22 years of age when I started. I didn't start drinking until I was 27. But yes, I do have military level of discipline once I make up my mind. Flying a chopper in the NAM you better have discipline or your didn't come home. :wink:
Well yes, but smoking was huge back in the day. To quit cold turkey one random day and truly never come back to it takes commitment.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Mon, 20 Feb 2023 1:37 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 20 Feb 2023 12:40 am

Affordability is relative. The tax applies to all cigarettes sold in Singapore. The only way you could bypass this is to buy cigarettes from illegitimate sources, which you would do at your own risk. Other than that, I guess the only affordable one would be what was previously the cheapest one as it would have experienced the smallest price increase.
I wonder which red is the cheapest now. Partly usually lOL I forget to ask the counter ..

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:30 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 20 Feb 2023 12:41 am
Lisafuller wrote:

Well yes, but smoking was huge back in the day. To quit cold turkey one random day and truly never come back to it takes commitment.
I don't know if this will make any sense but there was a definite thought process when I quit smoking. Around 1989 or 1990 I stopped smoking for about 18 months. Until I have my first major gout attack while on a drilling rig off the coast of Balikpapan. I was flown back to Singapore later that morning and was sent to the company's diving doctor who took a blood sample and then gave me an injection and informed me that I probably had gout. Well, it was gout and I spent the next 2 weeks sitting on the couch unable to walk and after 14 days it was "give me a goddam cigarette!" I actually stopped smoking due to pressure from the wife, kids, government, etc. etc. stayed clean for 18 months till then. Took me about a dozen more years before I decided to quit smoking.

There are two operative words to that story (it is all true). One is stop and the other is quit. The first is the reason I stopped the first time. (For all the wrong reasons). I liken it to driving a car. When you pull up to a traffic junction if the light is red you stop. Full Stop! But the instance the light turn green away you go again.

The 2nd instance I QUIT smoking. I actually quit in my mind before I stubbed it out after only two drags. Not for anybody else' reason but purely because "I" wanted to. To go back to my other simile it's like pulling up to a lot, parking the car and taking the keys out of the ignition and throwing them away. Stopping is temporary and is usually followed by go. Quit is a bit more final. It's a mind game I know but one I'm pretty good at.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:39 pm

Smoke Beedie's. About as cheap as you can get. I think you might be able to still find them on Carousell. https://www.carousell.sg/p/smokes-bidi- ... 217451775/

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:49 pm

I have learned from personal experience that quitting takes a special approach. If you think that you'll quit after you finish your last cigarette in your current pack, you'll never quit. You'll just buy another pack.

When you're ready, buy a brand new fresh pack... and a new lighter as well. Smoke one cigarette from your new pack. Then throw away the remaining pack and the lighter... somewhere where you can't retrieve them. Throwing away a brand new pack creates a finality that you can live with.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:56 pm

SE I was half way through a pack of marlboro lights and I actually crumpled the remainder of the pack. after stubbing out a 1/3rd smoked one. I agree with you 100%.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:47 pm

SGBoyxxx wrote:
Mon, 20 Feb 2023 1:37 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 20 Feb 2023 12:40 am

I wonder which red is the cheapest now. Partly usually lOL I forget to ask the counter ..
Hahaha, I'd like to say that the extra 2 bucks doesn't make a difference, but I know that if you're spending this regularly, it adds up.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:50 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:49 pm
I have learned from personal experience that quitting takes a special approach. If you think that you'll quit after you finish your last cigarette in your current pack, you'll never quit. You'll just buy another pack.

When you're ready, buy a brand new fresh pack... and a new lighter as well. Smoke one cigarette from your new pack. Then throw away the remaining pack and the lighter... somewhere where you can't retrieve them. Throwing away a brand new pack creates a finality that you can live with.
Oddly enough, I get it.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:52 pm

Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:30 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 20 Feb 2023 12:41 am

I don't know if this will make any sense but there was a definite thought process when I quit smoking. Around 1989 or 1990 I stopped smoking for about 18 months. Until I have my first major gout attack while on a drilling rig off the coast of Balikpapan. I was flown back to Singapore later that morning and was sent to the company's diving doctor who took a blood sample and then gave me an injection and informed me that I probably had gout. Well, it was gout and I spent the next 2 weeks sitting on the couch unable to walk and after 14 days it was "give me a goddam cigarette!" I actually stopped smoking due to pressure from the wife, kids, government, etc. etc. stayed clean for 18 months till then. Took me about a dozen more years before I decided to quit smoking.

There are two operative words to that story (it is all true). One is stop and the other is quit. The first is the reason I stopped the first time. (For all the wrong reasons). I liken it to driving a car. When you pull up to a traffic junction if the light is red you stop. Full Stop! But the instance the light turn green away you go again.

The 2nd instance I QUIT smoking. I actually quit in my mind before I stubbed it out after only two drags. Not for anybody else' reason but purely because "I" wanted to. To go back to my other simile it's like pulling up to a lot, parking the car and taking the keys out of the ignition and throwing them away. Stopping is temporary and is usually followed by go. Quit is a bit more final. It's a mind game I know but one I'm pretty good at.
What do you think clicked for you the second time?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:52 pm

Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:39 pm
Smoke Beedie's. About as cheap as you can get. I think you might be able to still find them on Carousell. https://www.carousell.sg/p/smokes-bidi- ... 217451775/
Those look real suspicious...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 12:33 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:52 pm
Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:39 pm
Those look real suspicious...
I read somewhere that there are 6 m Indians rolling those things. Huge industry all over India. One of my BiL's smoked them when he was broke or between gigs with his band. (Indian). This over 25 years ago and easily found here in Singapore. These things are worse than unfiltered kretek cigarettes from Indonesia.
Having said that, I've smoked my fair share of them during the 12 years I working in Indonesia. They are loaded with clove and have a nice flavour but are strong and snap, crackle & pop. You definitely do NOT smoke the unfiltered ones while driving a car as more times than not when they pop the red embers fall in your lap.