Singapore Expats

Deed of separation

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Deed of separation

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 18 Feb 2023 3:47 pm

My apologies and I stand corrected.

I confused myself with the difference between Decree Nisi (which doesn't required signatures of both parties-my route in my first 2 marriages) and Deed Of Separation (a completely different kettle of fish). The difference being the difference between Deed and Decree and how they are handled and what the Deed is used for. The following link will give the OP lot more information why one should be agreed to or not and the advantages/disadvantages of both.

https://www.tembusulaw.com/expertise/fa ... eparation/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Feb 2023 9:02 pm

Addadude wrote:
Thu, 16 Feb 2023 9:13 am
sevenKNIGHTS wrote:
Wed, 15 Feb 2023 7:34 pm
I see. Need lawyer just to reply I do not wish to sign any deed of separation at all?

Or is it for other purpose?

Thanks
Sorry - I have to ask. Are you cognitively impaired in some way?

Your wife has engaged a lawyer and has begun what are effectively divorce proceedings. You will also need a lawyer to represent your interests or you are going to be screwed. It's that simple. This is not something that will go away because you don't agree with it.
Harsh Addadude... but funny.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Feb 2023 9:07 pm

sevenKNIGHTS wrote:
Thu, 16 Feb 2023 1:49 pm
I am ok to divorce but now my question is about this deed of separation which I don't want to accept or sign. I can go straight to divorce procedure if that allows or needed but that is another topic.

So my question is still on this deed of separation. Do I need a lawyer to tell them I do not want to accept? Or even such simple reply will still need a lawyer in Singapore law. Or cannot even give an NO answer since letter is out, which I don't think so.
I believe that in SG a divorce can only happen after 3 years of separation, unless certain conditions are met. This means that either way, if your wife wants a divorce, you will NEED to separate first.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 28 Feb 2023 12:02 am

sevenKNIGHTS wrote:
I am ok to divorce but now my question is about this deed of separation which I don't want to accept or sign. I can go straight to divorce procedure if that allows or needed but that is another topic.

So my question is still on this deed of separation. Do I need a lawyer to tell them I do not want to accept? Or even such simple reply will still need a lawyer in Singapore law. Or cannot even give an NO answer since letter is out, which I don't think so.
Are you attempting to delay the divorce? If you tell us what you are trying to do we may be able to help.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Feb 2023 1:00 am

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 28 Feb 2023 12:02 am
sevenKNIGHTS wrote:

Are you attempting to delay the divorce? If you tell us what you are trying to do we may be able to help.
Doubt it as OP says he is willing to divorce and would prefer to do so immediately. He just seems to be avoiding separation for some reason.