Singapore Expats

"We associate your Google Account with a country"; do I need a VPN and why?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
musical box
Regular
Regular

"We associate your Google Account with a country"; do I need a VPN and why?

Post by musical box » Thu, 12 Jan 2023 12:28 pm

We associate your Google Account with a country (or region) so that we can better provide our services to you. This association is used to determine two things:
The Google company that provides the services, processes your information and is responsible for complying with applicable privacy laws
The version of the Terms of Service that governs our relationship, which can vary depending on local laws
Your country association will change within 30 days:
from United Kingdom
to Singapore

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: "We associate your Google Account with a country"; do I need a VPN and why?

Post by malcontent » Thu, 12 Jan 2023 1:08 pm

That looks new. Never seen such a thing. Maybe it is due to the stricter privacy laws in the UK and Google is happy to reduce their compliance risk by switching you to Singapore?

If you are using Google TV for streaming shows/movies, that kind of notice wouldn’t surprise me. Normally I only use VPN for streaming media when I want to access US content that is not available in SG.

VPN also comes in handy with certain websites that block all foreign IP addresses. Recently I was doing some renovations on a home that I own in the US and the Home Depot website was completely blocked from here - VPN punched right through that.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 14 Jan 2023 1:40 am

you do not need a vpn. you can create as many google accounts are your needs require.

or you can pay for your own g suite and administer it however you like (works with G content and subs and purchases).
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Danial Braine

Post by Danial Braine » Sat, 04 Feb 2023 4:25 pm

It depends on the reason why your Google account is associated with a particular country. If the country is your actual location, then a VPN may not be necessary. However, if you are trying to access content that is restricted in your location, a VPN can allow you to appear as if you are located in another country, thereby bypassing regional restrictions.

For example, some websites or online services may only be available in certain countries, and using a VPN can make it appear as if you are located in a country where the service is available. In such a scenario, a VPN can provide a solution.

In general, the use of a VPN is a personal choice, and whether or not you need one depends on your individual circumstances and requirements. It's important to remember that using a VPN can have privacy and security implications, so it's important to carefully consider the potential risks and benefits before making a decision.

oilivia

Post by oilivia » Tue, 02 Apr 2024 7:35 pm

No need to VPN to create a google account.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 02 Apr 2024 11:57 pm

Thanks for the tip =D>
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr