Singapore Expats

Shopee experience

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Shopee experience

Post by abbby » Thu, 29 Dec 2022 9:43 am

Would like to share my buying experience at Shopee, bought an item that was faulty and returned it to Merchant, however the Merchant disputed the item that it was not faulty. Shopee then sends their standard template reply and say they will investigate. Money collected, item received and merchant refusing to refund..?

I thought I should stick to shopping at Lazada.

Has anyone been in such similar situation with Shopee?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

luckycricket

Re: Shopee experience

Post by luckycricket » Thu, 29 Dec 2022 12:05 pm

It is partially your fault also. You might have selected "order received" before checking the product. Once you select "order received", Shopee releases the payment to the marchant. I have returned the products few times and got the refund without any issue.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Thu, 29 Dec 2022 5:00 pm

I did not click order received, but I returned the item via popstation but seller raised a dispute to dispute that item was not faulty. I thought the SOP was that Shopee would have reasonably refunded me since I have already given evidence of the faulty item. However, seller was also given the opportunity to raise disputes. So, there's no customer protection.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 29 Dec 2022 8:23 pm

abbby wrote:
Thu, 29 Dec 2022 9:43 am
Would like to share my buying experience at Shopee, bought an item that was faulty and returned it to Merchant, however the Merchant disputed the item that it was not faulty. Shopee then sends their standard template reply and say they will investigate. Money collected, item received and merchant refusing to refund..?

I thought I should stick to shopping at Lazada.

Has anyone been in such similar situation with Shopee?
Has also happened to me before, very frustrating. Awful customer service.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 29 Dec 2022 8:24 pm

luckycricket wrote:
Thu, 29 Dec 2022 12:05 pm
It is partially your fault also. You might have selected "order received" before checking the product. Once you select "order received", Shopee releases the payment to the marchant. I have returned the products few times and got the refund without any issue.
Depends on the merchant. They have the option to dispute the return, and once they do the money will not be refunded.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 29 Dec 2022 8:25 pm

abbby wrote:
Thu, 29 Dec 2022 5:00 pm
I did not click order received, but I returned the item via popstation but seller raised a dispute to dispute that item was not faulty. I thought the SOP was that Shopee would have reasonably refunded me since I have already given evidence of the faulty item. However, seller was also given the opportunity to raise disputes. So, there's no customer protection.
This is awful! Now you have no refund and no item??? In my case I ordered a cerave moisturizer from a local seller but when the product arrived I instantly could tell it was a counterfeit (packaging was off, smell was weird). Opted for a return but seller disputed it and I was never refunded. Now I use the moisturizer on my hands as I dare not use it on my face.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 30 Dec 2022 8:39 am

No extensive experience with Shopee but heard some similar stories before. Lazada is far from anything I would consider good but in respect of returns no major complaints based on my experience.

One thing: buying from local sellers and returning the goods could be challenging also with Lazada. Firstly, many of them are not any better than those from China, meaning selling no stock items, cancelling orders, delivering part of the orders only, not adhering to the delivery timeline etc etc. All for higher price. At the same time they have much stronger protection comparing to overseas sellers. They have to agree to accept your return. From my experience, even if their fault is very obvious they would use maximum time Lazada gave them to respond. You can very easily end up in the situation you wait long time for something, it finally arrives, problems with items, you do return request and you are stuck another few days because unethical seller dos not bother to respond. Only later, Lazada CS can step in. No such problems so far for the returns concerning overseas sellers.
So depending on the goods it is sometimes less risky and faster to order from overseas.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 30 Dec 2022 11:14 am

In my experience the sellers from China are actually pretty great - super efficient, very cheap products, fast shipping. In comparison local sellers tend to be slower, maybe because the stock is already in SG they have no sense of urgency.

YYCole
Regular
Regular

Post by YYCole » Sun, 08 Jan 2023 5:44 pm

very interesting to hear feedback here. I always tend to go with local sellers vs China sellers cos i was always worried of the quality of goods delivered and the post purchase experience. Seems like im wrong, i should try overseas sellers (whoever cheapest) for my next purchase! Thanks all!

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Sun, 08 Jan 2023 6:35 pm

For some items I would stick to local sellers, but usually items that local sellers do not carry I would buy from overseas sellers. For electronics, I would stick to local sellers.

And since Lazada has overseas sellers nowadays, I have stopped buying from Aliexpress because they take too long to deliver, difficult to seek refunds and they do have quality issues at times.

I think my experience with Lazada is quite good, I returned and item which was sent in the wrong color, and they picked up the items from me, plus points for that. I recently noticed they have the LivUp program, i tried signing up for it and it's been great so far, you get rebates of 10% per orders and the rebate amounts, you could offset in your next purchases.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 11 Jan 2023 4:28 pm

my wife shops on shoppee but most of the time we use amazon.

returns are easy (except for items with lion batts).

even when buying from amazon.com and item is shipped from family in the US to sg, i can return from sg and for lion items, i get reimbursed for my postage as long as i provide a receipt.

amazon.sg now (partially) includes their .jp vendors which is great.

whatever we buy from shoppee or aliexpress etc, we assume it’s a gamble and we cannot return - so we use it only if not available elsewhere or if they seem to have very very good savings.

even buying from a local distributor’s e-commerce site is a big pain when it comes to warranty (spectra gold dual motor breast pump).

i’d rather pay half the price on amazon (or wherever) without warranty and be able to get another when the first breaks.

so… yeah. amazon has been good for us. $3 a month. we buy items mostly one at a time. i can imagine they’ll run redmart out of business at some point and start voraciously eating into fairprice/giant’s fmcg marketshare sooner or later.

checking out my cart is easy on amazon vs shoppee (otp etc). i don’t use the app, my wife and i use our phones - some features on shoppee are missing on mobile website.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

oliverhen

Post by oliverhen » Sun, 17 Mar 2024 1:57 am

Sorry to hear about your experience. It's frustrating when merchants dispute faults. I've had similar issues with Shopee. Communication with customer service can help, but it's understandable if you switch to Lazada for better reliability.

blackstonesilent

Post by blackstonesilent » Mon, 18 Mar 2024 4:24 pm

Document the Issue: Make sure you have clear documentation of the faulty item, including photos or videos showing the problem. This evidence will be crucial when communicating with Shopee's customer service team.
Communicate with Shopee: Reach out to Shopee's customer service through their website or app. Provide them with all the relevant details of your purchase, including the dispute with the merchant and any evidence you have regarding the faulty item. Be clear and concise in explaining the situation.
Follow Up: If you don't receive a satisfactory response from Shopee initially, don't hesitate to follow up with them. Politely but persistently inquire about the status of your case and request updates on their investigation.
Consider Payment Methods: If you paid for the item using a credit card or other payment method that offers buyer protection, you may have additional recourse through your payment provider. Contact them to inquire about options for disputing the transaction and seeking a refund.
Review Shopee's Policies: Familiarize yourself with Shopee's policies regarding refunds and dispute resolution. Understanding their guidelines can help you navigate the process more effectively and advocate for your rights as a consumer.
Consider Alternatives: If you continue to encounter issues with Shopee, you may indeed decide to explore alternative online shopping platforms like Lazada or others that you feel more comfortable with. Each platform may have its own strengths and weaknesses, so it's worth researching and comparing your options.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 18 Mar 2024 11:42 pm

I approved this post but it reeks of AI garbage. Not trying to be censorious but does this kind of crap deserve a forum?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Mar 2024 6:59 pm

SE, you getting mellow in your later years. I would have whacked it asap had I not been under the weather the past couple of weeks. LOL.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers