Singapore Expats

Ex-PR on EP reapplying for PR

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
astraroad

Ex-PR on EP reapplying for PR

Post by astraroad » Thu, 29 Dec 2022 4:56 am

Hi everyone. Hope to shed some light on my situation and get some feedback.

I am an EP holder at 27 year old. I have held EP across 3 companies the last 4 years. Before that, I have been on Student Pass for ~20 years from Primary school to Local University.

The complication comes that I was once a PR at 1 years old when my family migrated here. A year later, they left with an exit permit, and our PR expired. I returned years later to study primary school on a Student Pass. Throughout my studies, I was never able to reapply for PR, nor was I invited, as the student scheme was not available then. I never received any benefits from being a PR (read somewhere that is why PRs should serve), and I paid full foreigner fees for all my education here.

If I apply for PR now under skilled worker scheme and get it, will I be liable for NS? Does this mean I have to quit my full-time job - from the company that will sponsor my PR application? The hit on my income will be great, as will the 2 year gap in my career in my industry.

I really appreciate any feedback given my bizarre circumstances. Thank you.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Ex-PR on EP reapplying for PR

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 29 Dec 2022 11:46 am

I'm surprised you even got EP. I doubt you will get PR.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Dec 2022 2:08 pm

astraroad wrote:
Thu, 29 Dec 2022 4:56 am

I am an EP holder at 27 year old. I have held EP across 3 companies the last 4 years. Before that, I have been on Student Pass for ~20 years from Primary school to Local University.

The complication comes that I was once a PR at 1 years old when my family migrated here. A year later, they left with an exit permit, and our PR expired. I returned years later to study primary school on a Student Pass. Throughout my studies, I was never able to reapply for PR, nor was I invited, as the student scheme was not available then. I never received any benefits from being a PR (read somewhere that is why PRs should serve), and I paid full foreigner fees for all my education here.

If I apply for PR now under skilled worker scheme and get it, will I be liable for NS? Does this mean I have to quit my full-time job - from the company that will sponsor my PR application? The hit on my income will be great, as will the 2 year gap in my career in my industry.

What is your ethnicity? In any case, you didn't default apparently as you were young enough not to need the exit permit. Having come back as an ex-PR shouldn't affect you under the circumstances. You will probably be looked at as an individual applying for PTS PR with the prevailing rules and within your ethnic band with about a much chance as anybody else with the exception of local education (which Uni?) If NUS or other Government Uni will help. If you are successful under the PTS scheme you will be exempt but I think the period of time spent as an infants PR will not go against you re:NS. Give it a try.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 29 Dec 2022 8:34 pm

astraroad wrote:

Doubt you will be made to serve.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Fri, 30 Dec 2022 11:28 am

astraroad wrote:

exit permit or REP?
Both are different thing

astraroad

Post by astraroad » Fri, 30 Dec 2022 2:23 pm

therat wrote:
Fri, 30 Dec 2022 11:28 am
exit permit or REP?
Both are different thing
Hi! Sorry, it is REP. I believe I was too young to need to apply for exit permit.

astraroad

Post by astraroad » Fri, 30 Dec 2022 2:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 29 Dec 2022 2:08 pm
What is your ethnicity? In any case, you didn't default apparently as you were young enough not to need the exit permit. Having come back as an ex-PR shouldn't affect you under the circumstances. You will probably be looked at as an individual applying for PTS PR with the prevailing rules and within your ethnic band with about a much chance as anybody else with the exception of local education (which Uni?) If NUS or other Government Uni will help. If you are successful under the PTS scheme you will be exempt but I think the period of time spent as an infants PR will not go against you re:NS. Give it a try.
Thank you for your detailed response! I am chinese (HK passport), studied in local gov pri / sec / JC / uni.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Dec 2022 11:36 pm

astraroad wrote:
Fri, 30 Dec 2022 2:25 pm
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 29 Dec 2022 2:08 pm
Thank you for your detailed response! I am chinese (HK passport), studied in local gov pri / sec / JC / uni.
Go for it! You also have the desired ethnicity as well. Good Luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Return to “National Service”