Singapore Expats

People Rushing for Panadol

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: People Rushing for Panadol

Post by malcontent » Thu, 12 Jan 2023 5:13 pm

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 12 Jan 2023 2:37 pm
malcontent wrote:
Tue, 10 Jan 2023 6:13 pm
Panadeine is available here without a prescription. It is similar to Tylenol III (paracetamol plus codeine), except with Panadeine you get less codeine.

You can’t buy such things in the US without a prescription because codeine is habit forming. I lived near the Canadian border and Tylenol III was a popular item people would bring back. You don’t need a prescription in Canada. Here, you just show your IC at the pharmacy and they hand it over.

But what is not available without a prescription here is any kind of sleep aid. I’m told it is because in the movies here, sleeping pills are only used for one thing — suicide. The only time I really need a sleeping pill is when I have an early morning flight out from Singapore and need to sleep early.
Have you tried melatonin pills as a sleeping aid? I do - 10mg about 30 mins before sleeping works quite well for me.
I had never tried melatonin until last year. After making four trips to the US, I was desperate. I tried the maximum strength 10mg melatonin… several times, but it did nothing for me. Maybe it depends on the person. It’s not just melatonin, most things like this have no effect on me, unfortunately.

I need the strong stuff!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 14 Jan 2023 1:31 am

you could ask for circadin. they are pricey in singapore as they’re usually prescribed but it can be found much cheaper online.

it’s still melatonin, just modified release.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

YYCole
Regular
Regular

Post by YYCole » Sun, 15 Jan 2023 3:57 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 09 Jan 2023 8:23 pm
YYCole wrote:
Sun, 08 Jan 2023 5:28 pm
there are actually alt brands like Tylenol which works just as well as panadol,,
Paracetamol is the active ingredient in both Panadol (British) and Tylenol (American) brands. There is no real difference.

Ibuprofen is the active ingredient in Nurofen/Advil/Motrin, which works even better than paracetamol for me. It’s only recently started to become popular in Singapore, probably due to the predominance of Panadol. I took Nurofen when I had Covid and it kept most symptoms at bay.

Aspirin is also good. It’s by far the oldest, most tried and true medicine of the three, but good luck finding it in Singapore. I always have to bring it back from the US.

Aleve is the new kid on the block. Naproxen is the active ingredient. I’ve tried it and it doesn’t seem to work well, for me anyway.
Thanks very informative!!!

YYCole
Regular
Regular

Post by YYCole » Sun, 15 Jan 2023 4:00 pm

malcontent wrote:
YYCole wrote:
there are actually alt brands like Tylenol which works just as well as panadol,,
Paracetamol is the active ingredient in both Panadol (British) and Tylenol (American) brands. There is no real difference.

Ibuprofen is the active ingredient in Nurofen/Advil/Motrin, which works even better than paracetamol for me. It’s only recently started to become popular in Singapore, probably due to the predominance of Panadol. I took Nurofen when I had Covid and it kept most symptoms at bay.

Aspirin is also good. It’s by far the oldest, most tried and true medicine of the three, but good luck finding it in Singapore. I always have to bring it back from the US.

Aleve is the new kid on the block. Naproxen is the active ingredient. I’ve tried it and it doesn’t seem to work well, for me anyway.
I managed to find Cardiprin supply online from a singapore supplier, not sure if i can share it here.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 Jan 2023 5:43 pm

YYCole wrote:
Sun, 15 Jan 2023 4:00 pm
I managed to find Cardiprin supply online from a singapore supplier, not sure if i can share it here.
Have you received it successfully without problems? e.g., supplier is prompt, etc., etc.?

If so, then it's a recommendation for a product and a business you can recommend as an actual user. So we have no issues with posting their link here. :wink:

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sun, 15 Jan 2023 8:50 pm

YYCole wrote:

I have seen Cardiprin for sale at Guardian. I believe it is only available in 100mg tablets which are known as “low dose” aspirin.

These are not normal aspirin, which come in 330mg (normal strength) or 500mg (extra strength) tablets. The 500mg used to be sold here under Bayer brand, but very pricey.

The low dose variety is only for elderly folks who take it daily as a precaution against heart attack or Alzheimer’s disease. It’s not 100% proven science, but I believe there is something to it.

I usually buy normal dose aspirin in the US. Prices used to be as little as 99¢ for 100, but today it’s typically $1.99. After opening I keep them in the dry box so they don’t disintegrate in the humidity.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 21 Jan 2023 2:12 am

YYCole wrote:
Those aren't as readily available, based on my observation.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 21 Jan 2023 2:13 am

malcontent wrote:
YYCole wrote:

Not sure if it's placebo or the concentration is different, but I've noticed that Tylenol seems to be more effective for me.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 21 Jan 2023 2:19 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 10 Jan 2023 4:13 pm
Due to my high pain threshold, none of them work for me at all. However, the docs here are aware of that after successive bouts with burns (large area 2nd degree burns), Kidney stones, fractured wrist (3x the same wrist - 3rd time Monday a week ago. Doc yesterday pulled my charts for the 2nd time and after the xrays, said you have the same 3 options as the last time. Learn to live with it, fusion of the wrist or wrist replacement surgery (expensive as hell and not guaranteed to last - can get both knees replaced and still money left over for a holiday). Soooooo I am one of very few people who actually get a pain killer that works but is dangerous in the hands of the wrong person due to its active ingredient (it's an opioid). Tramadol. Fortunately I hate pain killers so I took one about an hour before bed to give it time to get going. Slept through the night and haven't taken one since (but wearing my high end wrist brace from 4 years ago.

https://www.healthline.com/health/tramadol-oral-tablet
What do you take for headaches then?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 21 Jan 2023 2:21 am

taxico wrote:
Wed, 11 Jan 2023 4:40 pm
malcontent wrote:
they sell generic aspirin but it is pricey. i usually just get a box of alkaseltzer instead. they work faster for me.

naproxen sodium works great when i get bad headaches!
As a work around, whenever I'm back in the US or have a relative come to visit, I get them to bring a ton of aspirin. It's so much cheaper there and so easy to find.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 21 Jan 2023 2:22 am

smoulder wrote:
malcontent wrote:
Panadeine is available here without a prescription. It is similar to Tylenol III (paracetamol plus codeine), except with Panadeine you get less codeine.

You can’t buy such things in the US without a prescription because codeine is habit forming. I lived near the Canadian border and Tylenol III was a popular item people would bring back. You don’t need a prescription in Canada. Here, you just show your IC at the pharmacy and they hand it over.

But what is not available without a prescription here is any kind of sleep aid. I’m told it is because in the movies here, sleeping pills are only used for one thing — suicide. The only time I really need a sleeping pill is when I have an early morning flight out from Singapore and need to sleep early.
Have you tried melatonin pills as a sleeping aid? I do - 10mg about 30 mins before sleeping works quite well for me.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work for everyone. You're one of the lucky ones.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 21 Jan 2023 2:23 am

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 12 Jan 2023 5:13 pm
smoulder wrote:
malcontent wrote:

I had never tried melatonin until last year. After making four trips to the US, I was desperate. I tried the maximum strength 10mg melatonin… several times, but it did nothing for me. Maybe it depends on the person. It’s not just melatonin, most things like this have no effect on me, unfortunately.

I need the strong stuff!
Doesn't really work on me either. Even the tea doesn't do much apart from relaxing me a little bit.

YYCole
Regular
Regular

Post by YYCole » Sat, 21 Jan 2023 5:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 15 Jan 2023 5:43 pm
YYCole wrote:
Have you received it successfully without problems? e.g., supplier is prompt, etc., etc.?

If so, then it's a recommendation for a product and a business you can recommend as an actual user. So we have no issues with posting their link here. :wink:

I never buy Cardiprin from them. But bought Tylenol from them. Fast delivery (which is impt to me as I wanted to bring for my overseas trip).

Yeah wanted to make sure i asked whats the rules here before i post.

YYCole
Regular
Regular

Post by YYCole » Sat, 21 Jan 2023 5:29 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 15 Jan 2023 8:50 pm
YYCole wrote:

I have seen Cardiprin for sale at Guardian. I believe it is only available in 100mg tablets which are known as “low dose” aspirin.

These are not normal aspirin, which come in 330mg (normal strength) or 500mg (extra strength) tablets. The 500mg used to be sold here under Bayer brand, but very pricey.

The low dose variety is only for elderly folks who take it daily as a precaution against heart attack or Alzheimer’s disease. It’s not 100% proven science, but I believe there is something to it.

I usually buy normal dose aspirin in the US. Prices used to be as little as 99¢ for 100, but today it’s typically $1.99. After opening I keep them in the dry box so they don’t disintegrate in the humidity.
Indeed, the one i saw was 100mg. I also heard some site saying that if you think you have signs of stroke, pop doses of aspirins before going to hospital (not sure if its true/effective)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 21 Jan 2023 6:32 pm

YYCole wrote:
Sat, 21 Jan 2023 5:29 pm
malcontent wrote:
Sun, 15 Jan 2023 8:50 pm
YYCole wrote:

Indeed, the one i saw was 100mg. I also heard some site saying that if you think you have signs of stroke, pop doses of aspirins before going to hospital (not sure if its true/effective)
My son is an EMT and for sure it is used to prep people who have been hit with a stroke.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!