Singapore Expats

Importing a Motorbike

Have your burning questions answered relating to buying and selling cars and other vehicles.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Importing a Motorbike

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 29 Dec 2022 8:30 pm

x9200 wrote:
Thu, 29 Dec 2022 1:34 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 29 Dec 2022 2:23 am
I don't ride, so I am not knowledgeable on any of this. I will say that I don't really see a huge variety of bikes on the road, and very rarely see an exotic one like a Harley.
I see Harleys at least once a day but they are not of the big ones variety. So if you mean a make, they are pretty common, but larger bikes, inclusive other brands, e.g. Honda Wing, pretty rare. A bit more common are some larger Yamahas, eg. FJR-1300 or Kawasaki Concours. And that's I believe it.
I mean the really big bikes.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 29 Dec 2022 8:31 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 29 Dec 2022 1:15 pm
There is a very active HOG (Harley Owners Group) here in Singapore. Often are seen doing charity rides, etc. Friend and financier of my son's Barber shop also has one. Another of my son's friends has a Sportster.
Really! I RARELY see any, don't even see any cute vespas or bikes with sidecars. All just the same skinny frame motorcycles.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 30 Dec 2022 7:44 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 29 Dec 2022 8:30 pm
x9200 wrote:
Thu, 29 Dec 2022 1:34 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 29 Dec 2022 2:23 am
I don't ride, so I am not knowledgeable on any of this. I will say that I don't really see a huge variety of bikes on the road, and very rarely see an exotic one like a Harley.
I see Harleys at least once a day but they are not of the big ones variety. So if you mean a make, they are pretty common, but larger bikes, inclusive other brands, e.g. Honda Wing, pretty rare. A bit more common are some larger Yamahas, eg. FJR-1300 or Kawasaki Concours. And that's I believe it.
I mean the really big bikes.
I would say they are hardly practical in Singapore. Problems with moving around and parking place included. Kind of like owning here a caravan. Surely you can, but how to enjoy it in any more practical sense?
Plus, for some reasons, the gov seems to hate higher capacity motorbikes, at least judging from the fiscal measures (changes in parf) introduced few years ago.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 30 Dec 2022 11:18 am

True, never thought about that - the parking spaces for bikes here are really tiny, at least relative to elsewhere like the US. Any reason there aren't so many vespas/cute bikes with sidecars?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Dec 2022 11:30 pm

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 31 Dec 2022 1:32 am

Wow, so there really are bikers in Singapore. I really miss going to a diner and having a couple hogs pull up. You really hear them before you see them. Some thing that we don't really get here.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sat, 31 Dec 2022 2:57 am

Had to login to post a pic of my Singapore scooter. 1522 cc Honda Valkyrie. The taxi drivers used to roll down their windows at stop lights and say, "How much you pay?"

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Dec 2022 3:09 am

I was wondering how long it would take for you to repost that of your two babes! The guy living in our estate with the Yellow Valk got rid of it a couple of years ago. Don't know what he replaced it with. The big Africa Twin is also no longer in the parking lot either..
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 31 Dec 2022 7:28 am

Africa Twin is a relatively small bike. In my condo there is probably 10 class 2 motorcycles with half of them being used for commuting . Same where I park at work (Fusionopolis). Some Hondas, BMW, Triumps, occasionally Ducati.

Vespas had kind of short renaissance around 10 years ago and I could see many of them, especially these cute red ones with leather upholstery.

But I have never seen any bike with a side car and I can only imagine what sort of nightmare would be needed to go through to park it and how many times a month one would need to negotiate the clamp release fees.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 31 Dec 2022 10:36 am

One of my more ah beng neighbours has a GL1800 (Gold Wing). He bought it specifically because of the large petrol tank. He rides it over to JB to fill up and syphons it into his car here (25L tank capacity and I suspect he puts extra into the panniers etc in small bottles). He rides the GL1800 in flip flops and shorts.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 31 Dec 2022 12:23 pm

x9200 wrote:
Sat, 31 Dec 2022 7:28 am
But I have never seen any bike with a side car...
Actually, I have to correct myself, I see a few times a year some motorcycles with side cars but they are karang guni / street sale style.
Also, googling further, clearly there are some despite of my no see experience: https://www.sideways.sg/

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 03 Jan 2023 2:35 pm

side cars in singapore is a terrible idea but if you like going slow, go for it.

the locally built ones are just (very) poorly attached tubs. i tried designing my own with an engineer, but what i wanted could not fit into the statutory dimensions of what constitutes a sidecar in sg.

specifically i want a better strut and some ride adjustments to compensate for when the tub is empty/camber, and for there to be adequate passenger leg room and also crash bars and roll bar, and a properly good seat.

until legislation changes (never), pay your $4k and get a generic one fitted.

no highways, no speeds beyond 50kmph on all roads, no squeezing into carparks that provide “free motorcycle parking”.

your passenger will not find it fun. but you might! wheels up!!!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 03 Jan 2023 2:35 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Sat, 31 Dec 2022 2:57 am
Had to login to post a pic of my Singapore scooter. 1522 cc Honda Valkyrie…
is that u strong e?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Wed, 04 Jan 2023 11:46 am

taxico wrote:
Tue, 03 Jan 2023 2:35 pm
Myasis Dragon wrote:
Sat, 31 Dec 2022 2:57 am
Had to login to post a pic of my Singapore scooter. 1522 cc Honda Valkyrie…
is that u strong e?
Aye, captain! My non-moderator alter ego.

MartinW

Post by MartinW » Thu, 05 Jan 2023 4:23 pm

Just to update on the original post, I recently moved to SG and brought my bike as well. A 1977 BMW R100. It classifies here as classic bike. The importation was relatively easy and the levied customs duty minimal.
I'm now in the process of getting the approval letter from LTA. I've been told it will take some time...

updates will follow as they occur