Singapore Expats

Importing a Motorbike

Have your burning questions answered relating to buying and selling cars and other vehicles.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Importing a Motorbike

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 05 Jan 2023 7:22 pm

That makes sense. Take your bike out and around! There are a few good bike events coming up.

Wicked Wallop - Saturday & Sunday, 7 - 8 January 2023. Rooftop @ Carros Centre Level 7, 60 Jln Lam Huat, Singapore 737869. 10AM - 11PM daily

Singapore Motorshow 2023 - 12 - 15 January - Suntec (often have bikes as well but there used to be a dedicated motorbike show - not sure where it went).

The Distinguished Gentleman's Ride -
Classic and vintage style motorcycles unite for men's health. Sunday 21 of May, 2023.

There will probably be a national bikers weekend towards the end of the year and there are MX races at Sentosa.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

banmian

Post by banmian » Thu, 30 Mar 2023 8:56 am

Hi,

I'm looking to import a new Thruxton RS from the US as the dealer here only gets a few pieces per year on allotment, with no guarantee of the limited Chrome edition I'm looking for. The LTA website makes it look fairly straightforward, and I have a very competitive shipping rate from FedEx that can have the bike here by Monday. The problem is that the Triumph dealer here tells me to not waste my time because although the bike meets Euro IV emission standards (it's Euro V) and the other requirements on the LTA importation guide, some parts of the bike like the exhaust have different part numbers than the UK version. The parts themselves are the same, however with a different part number I've been told that the bike will fail the "homologation test." Definitely not a word I have come across before. They claim that they've seen numerous people fail to import brand new bikes and after 8 months of back and forth with LTA, they give up and send the bike back home.

I've been looking everywhere to find some people that have successfully imported a bike so I can better understand this homologation test and anything else involved so I know what I'm getting into. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 30 Mar 2023 2:17 pm

I would find an independent dealer to do it. Mah is correct - you will fail homologation if one part does not match. Most dealers now bring bikes in batches to cut this risk down - a container load at a time.

Beware though that the costs are eye watering - I've been told as much as $40,000 to do a single homologation.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 30 Mar 2023 7:14 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 30 Mar 2023 2:17 pm
I would find an independent dealer to do it. Mah is correct - you will fail homologation if one part does not match. Most dealers now bring bikes in batches to cut this risk down - a container load at a time.

Beware though that the costs are eye watering - I've been told as much as $40,000 to do a single homologation.
$40K?! That sounds like it'd be more than the coe.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 30 Mar 2023 7:17 pm

banmian wrote:
Thu, 30 Mar 2023 8:56 am
Hi,

I'm looking to import a new Thruxton RS from the US as the dealer here only gets a few pieces per year on allotment, with no guarantee of the limited Chrome edition I'm looking for. The LTA website makes it look fairly straightforward, and I have a very competitive shipping rate from FedEx that can have the bike here by Monday. The problem is that the Triumph dealer here tells me to not waste my time because although the bike meets Euro IV emission standards (it's Euro V) and the other requirements on the LTA importation guide, some parts of the bike like the exhaust have different part numbers than the UK version. The parts themselves are the same, however with a different part number I've been told that the bike will fail the "homologation test." Definitely not a word I have come across before. They claim that they've seen numerous people fail to import brand new bikes and after 8 months of back and forth with LTA, they give up and send the bike back home.

I've been looking everywhere to find some people that have successfully imported a bike so I can better understand this homologation test and anything else involved so I know what I'm getting into. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Best to make sure all the parts are in check or it'd be a very expensive (and time consuming) endeavor.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 30 Mar 2023 7:45 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 30 Mar 2023 7:14 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 30 Mar 2023 2:17 pm

$40K?! That sounds like it'd be more than the coe.
That's "per shipment" of the same model of bike - it could be 1,10 or 100.