Singapore Expats

Messages Censored?

Announcements, promotions, news, help. Ask about registrations, avatars, PM and others. Post all your forum and Singapore Expats site related questions here.
OttieTheOtter

Messages Censored?

Post by OttieTheOtter » Tue, 13 Dec 2022 6:39 am

I submitted a post several weeks ago and get this message:

"This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved."

No notification has followed. Does this mean there a problem with the post and it is not approved?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Messages Censored?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Dec 2022 4:20 pm

Apparently it was not approved. Was there the slightest hint of solicitation/advertising or otherwise trying to get business or representing yourself for hire/advice, etc? If so, that was the reason. We do not condone advertising or soliciting business. Nor do we considering "recommending" a product or service if it happens to be your own employer or business. We welcome recommendations, but recommendations come from a satisfied user. An employee or owner is neither. So if you posts had a whiff of any of those things, that is the reason it was not approved (unless you were trying to drum up games of chance or any other gambit which would require an admission fee, etc. -these would also cause it to be unapproved.)

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

OttieTheOtter

Post by OttieTheOtter » Sun, 18 Dec 2022 4:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 13 Dec 2022 4:20 pm
Apparently it was not approved. Was there the slightest hint of solicitation/advertising or otherwise trying to get business or representing yourself for hire/advice, etc? If so, that was the reason. We do not condone advertising or soliciting business. Nor do we considering "recommending" a product or service if it happens to be your own employer or business. We welcome recommendations, but recommendations come from a satisfied user. An employee or owner is neither. So if you posts had a whiff of any of those things, that is the reason it was not approved (unless you were trying to drum up games of chance or any other gambit which would require an admission fee, etc. -these would also cause it to be unapproved.)

It is worthy of public view because the cause matters.

Two reasons were given:

1. Initially the reason given was: the reported post's only purpose was to advertise another product.

Another product was not advertised. Sympathy was expressed with the experience and progressive views of a founder who from personal experience took a stand against racism in the property market. More so than another company as a recommended comparative. The poster has no affiliation with either company.

2. The later posts about racism are highly senstive and may be against the law in Singapore.

CNBC and BBC journalists make the same observations which remain true to this day.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:03 pm

OttieTheOtter wrote:
Sun, 18 Dec 2022 4:51 pm

Two reasons were given:

1. Initially the reason given was: the reported post's only purpose was to advertise another product.

Another product was not advertised. Sympathy was expressed with the experience and progressive views of a founder who from personal experience took a stand against racism in the property market. More so than another company as a recommended comparative. The poster has no affiliation with either company.

2. The later posts about racism are highly senstive and may be against the law in Singapore.

CNBC and BBC journalists make the same observations which remain true to this day.
If you are looking for a windmill to tilt at. I suggest you go to another venue to do it. This site is owned by a real estate company who hosts this board at no cost to the users, members, etc. Therefore it is their call HOW they want it moderated. As they are a real estate company, why should they entertain slurs, smears, discussions about any real estate company. They are running a business and this forum generates business from the ebb & flow of arriving & leaving expats from all countries. Membership is free, but there are certain rules in place that need to be addressed as it is their board to do with it as they see fit. Another analogy might be some one driving their Honda onto a Mercedes dealership and disparaging Mercedes and trying to sell Hondas from the same. Not only is it not done it is hurting the reputation of the Mercedes dealership if it is allowed to continue as it tars all car dealerships with the same brush. Therefore ifs it looks like a smear campaign with information that can identify another dealer by name then it is verboten on this forum.

Also you cannot mention another real estate company on this board for the same reason, not even as an honest recommendation as you would be effectively degrading our hosts who fund the entire site and have done so for 2 dozen years. Abide by out ethics and stick around. Otherwise.....

Oh, I don't have a clue what happened to your original post so cannot point to specifics which is why I'm talking in generalities and trying to cover as many bases as possible.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

OttieTheOtter

Post by OttieTheOtter » Tue, 27 Dec 2022 7:28 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:03 pm
OttieTheOtter wrote:
Sun, 18 Dec 2022 4:51 pm

Two reasons were given:

If you are looking for a windmill to tilt at. I suggest you go to another venue to do it. This site is owned by a real estate company who hosts this board at no cost to the users, members, etc. Therefore it is their call HOW they want it moderated. As they are a real estate company, why should they entertain slurs, smears, discussions about any real estate company. They are running a business and this forum generates business from the ebb & flow of arriving & leaving expats from all countries. Membership is free, but there are certain rules in place that need to be addressed as it is their board to do with it as they see fit. Another analogy might be some one driving their Honda onto a Mercedes dealership and disparaging Mercedes and trying to sell Hondas from the same. Not only is it not done it is hurting the reputation of the Mercedes dealership if it is allowed to continue as it tars all car dealerships with the same brush. Therefore ifs it looks like a smear campaign with information that can identify another dealer by name then it is verboten on this forum.

Also you cannot mention another real estate company on this board for the same reason, not even as an honest recommendation as you would be effectively degrading our hosts who fund the entire site and have done so for 2 dozen years. Abide by out ethics and stick around. Otherwise.....

Oh, I don't have a clue what happened to your original post so cannot point to specifics which is why I'm talking in generalities and trying to cover as many bases as possible.

The post was entitled Racism, Scams and Corruption in the Singapore Rental Market.

You mention not having a clue what happened in the original post. If as a Moderator you have not accessed and read the original post, I would encourage you to read it and form a view.

While it is a hot rental market, I was surprised at the level of illegality, if not boundary pushing. For example rental agents colluding or asking for cash deposit all seen within a 3 month period. What is more suprising is the cover up here.

For each point made in the post a solution was recommended for the harmed party. Both the landlord suffering below market rent and the tenant.

No real estate company was mentioned specifically in the censored post. Rather two commonly used property search websites if that is the issue. What is the name of real estate company that hosts the board?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 27 Dec 2022 9:23 am

It might help to reduce relook at your post and see if it included defamation, libel, slander or profanities. As per SMS I don't know what happened either. We are not the super moderators - that is PAL and his crew and considering the issues of the aforementioned legal snares in Singapore I don't blame them for pulling the delete trigger if your post was close to infringing the above.

You might find more traction in HWZ, The Independent etc.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!