Singapore Expats

Anybody have any Taiwan recommendations?

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Re: Anybody have any Taiwan recommendations?

Post by therat » Thu, 22 Dec 2022 10:32 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 22 Dec 2022 1:45 am
malcontent wrote:
Wed, 30 Nov 2022 5:11 pm
The metro from the airport to Taipei wasn’t up and running the last time we were in Taiwan (maybe 7-8 years ago), but apparently it’s supposed to be good.

If you are exploring outside of Taipei, I recommend renting a car, it is one of the few places in Asia that is as easy or easier to drive than Singapore.

We spent most of our time in Taipei, and it’s still a bit like an overgrown Chinatown in many ways, but many parts have modernized and are more like Singapore.

I wasn’t that impressed with the night markets, maybe the popular ones are too touristy, or maybe I am spoiled on good food in Singapore.

The only memorable food was the little “hole in the wall” places that were nearly impossible to order from unless you are good in Chinese, but if you manage to get your order in, the noodles and dumplings you get are better than any you’ll get here.
I have to disagree as far as the driving goes. Drivers here are intense... we took a cab from the night market to our hotel in Taichung, driver literally committed a hit and run. Honked repeatedly at another car which was forcing its way into our lane, but refused to give way when the other car didn't back off. Took the other car's side mirror right off, and didn't even stop. No wonder his cab was so beat up.
wow.. you got F1 driver

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 22 Dec 2022 9:48 pm

therat wrote:
Thu, 22 Dec 2022 10:32 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 22 Dec 2022 1:45 am
malcontent wrote:
Wed, 30 Nov 2022 5:11 pm
The metro from the airport to Taipei wasn’t up and running the last time we were in Taiwan (maybe 7-8 years ago), but apparently it’s supposed to be good.

If you are exploring outside of Taipei, I recommend renting a car, it is one of the few places in Asia that is as easy or easier to drive than Singapore.

We spent most of our time in Taipei, and it’s still a bit like an overgrown Chinatown in many ways, but many parts have modernized and are more like Singapore.

I wasn’t that impressed with the night markets, maybe the popular ones are too touristy, or maybe I am spoiled on good food in Singapore.

The only memorable food was the little “hole in the wall” places that were nearly impossible to order from unless you are good in Chinese, but if you manage to get your order in, the noodles and dumplings you get are better than any you’ll get here.
I have to disagree as far as the driving goes. Drivers here are intense... we took a cab from the night market to our hotel in Taichung, driver literally committed a hit and run. Honked repeatedly at another car which was forcing its way into our lane, but refused to give way when the other car didn't back off. Took the other car's side mirror right off, and didn't even stop. No wonder his cab was so beat up.
wow.. you got F1 driver
Yeah... but he is among the majority here. Everyone drives so fast, and there are so many scooters left and right.

YYCole
Regular
Regular

Post by YYCole » Fri, 23 Dec 2022 2:17 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 22 Dec 2022 1:32 am
the observer wrote:
Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:49 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 18 Dec 2022 1:35 am

Unfortunately, we've already booked our hotels, hopefully we can give it a go next time.
lol.

its a famous hotel for the wrong reasons
Oh? But the Hyatt is such a prestigious chain... did you have a bad experience there? Or just find it to be poor value for money?

Reason why this is "famous". The talismans at the hotel lobby. People said is because the hotel is haunted

therat
Editor
Editor

Post by therat » Fri, 23 Dec 2022 5:05 pm

hahaha.. now I recall.
Ya.. base on what my ex-colleague said during the construction, alot of small accidental. Then the hotel consulting feng shui master.
After set up this. No more accidental.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 24 Dec 2022 1:23 am

YYCole wrote:
Fri, 23 Dec 2022 2:17 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 22 Dec 2022 1:32 am
the observer wrote:
Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:49 am

lol.

its a famous hotel for the wrong reasons
Oh? But the Hyatt is such a prestigious chain... did you have a bad experience there? Or just find it to be poor value for money?

Reason why this is "famous". The talismans at the hotel lobby. People said is because the hotel is haunted
Eek... I'm not very superstitious, but I'd rather not mess around with Asian ghosts. They're a hell of a lot more scary than any Western ones. Except maybe skinwalkers.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 24 Dec 2022 1:23 am

therat wrote:
Fri, 23 Dec 2022 5:05 pm
hahaha.. now I recall.
Ya.. base on what my ex-colleague said during the construction, alot of small accidental. Then the hotel consulting feng shui master.
Small accidents? Or incidents? As in supernatural sightings.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 24 Dec 2022 1:25 am

Today we're in Sun Moon Lake, not very much to do here but it is absolutely beautiful. A lot more laid back than Taipei, feels like a quaint town, locals are very friendly. Food is cheap and good, but everything closes at 7pm which was a rude shock as we usually have our dinner after 8. Not much of a night market scene either, though I guess that's to be expected as it's not what they're known for.

therat
Editor
Editor

Post by therat » Sat, 24 Dec 2022 9:17 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 24 Dec 2022 1:23 am
therat wrote:
Fri, 23 Dec 2022 5:05 pm
hahaha.. now I recall.
Small accidents? Or incidents? As in supernatural sightings.
cannot remember what my ex-colleague told me. That was 2000. was told that land was use as Prison camp during WWII.

google and found this
https://www.you.co/sg/blog/haunted-hote ... r-stories/
UPDATE: Grand Hyatt Taipei has reached out to YouTrip to say that prior to the hotel’s construction in 1988, the land was occupied by a military warehouse and vehicle factory. Local historians have also confirmed that no prison camps were located on or near the grounds. Since 2015, the talismans have also been removed during a refurbishment “as they did not match the hotel’s newly revamped contemporary décor.”

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 25 Dec 2022 1:53 am

Hmm... so maybe it wasn't haunted after all.

therat
Editor
Editor

Post by therat » Sun, 25 Dec 2022 9:46 am

just like what happen when Bishan MRT during construction and after its complete.
Also have alot of "ghost" story. hahaha

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 26 Dec 2022 2:47 am

Yeah, but Bishan really does have haunted origins... the whole area used to be filled with cemeteries.

YYCole
Regular
Regular

Post by YYCole » Mon, 02 Jan 2023 5:45 pm

Takashimaya was also once a cemetery!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 03 Jan 2023 1:48 am

YYCole wrote:
Mon, 02 Jan 2023 5:45 pm
Takashimaya was also once a cemetery!
Really! Would never notice... it's always so crowded. J was there a couple weeks ago and took 20 minutes to get in and out. So many cars!

YYCole
Regular
Regular

Post by YYCole » Sun, 08 Jan 2023 5:23 pm

Orchard is mad crowded nowadays

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 Jan 2023 9:35 pm

The closest I've been to Orchard Road in over 3 years is the Dhobi Ghaut MRT station changing trains. In fact I've probably been to Orchard less than a dozen times in as many years. almost all of them were for the Eagles at Muddies, Emerald Hill, and the outdoor makan place at the end of the Concord Hotel on Cavenagh Rd.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers