Singapore Expats

Anybody have any Taiwan recommendations?

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Anybody have any Taiwan recommendations?

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Nov 2022 2:37 am

Off to Taiwan with the husband and daughter from mid to end of December. We will land in Taipei, but are able to travel around the area. Appreciate any suggestions on things to do, eat, or buy.
by therat » Wed, 30 Nov 2022 2:33 pm
Kenting is at the south side of Taiwan. I would not suggest to go up, down and up again. Waste too much time on traveling.

I did a 10 days at Taipei before covid but my itinerary all in chinese. You mention your girl know chinese. I give some of the place I went.
It depend what you want - touch and go or more in depth

Place to visit at taipei or nearby.
1. Jiufen -
2. Yehliu Geopark
3. Pingxi line (Take note of the last train time) - you can align every station, move around. take note of the train time and hop back, then travel to next station. 十分老街 , 十分瀑布 can put sky lantern
4. Tamsui 淡水老街
5. Beitou Hot spring
6. Fishermans Wharf (渔人码头)
7. 深坑老街
8. Jingguashi
9. Houtong station if you are cat lover

shipping / wholesale market
1. 五分埔
2. 西門町
3. Underground shopping lane at Taipei station. easy spend 1/2 day. Good place to spend during raining day

Night market
1. 饒河街觀光夜市
2. 师大夜市
3. 華西街觀光夜市
They have alot of local night market but might not open daily

Within Taipei, you can make use of their Taipei Metro to move around.
Once out of Taipei, if you want to cut short the travel time, engage a driver for 1 day.

As for night market, give Shilin a miss. It is too commercialized. It is for tourist, local dont want to go. But you never went before, you can visit
Go to full post

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Anybody have any Taiwan recommendations?

Post by abbby » Wed, 30 Nov 2022 1:06 pm

Few must visits places in Taipei...i went there during my last trip.
- Maokong Gondola
- Taipei Zoo
- Miramar Entertainment Park (Ferris Wheel)
- Shifen old street
- i-ride Taipei
- National Palace Museum

Some of these places, you can book the tix from Klook.com
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by NYY1 » Wed, 30 Nov 2022 1:33 pm

You can take the train down and back to Kaohsiung in a day. Or go there and then on to Kenting (and back up the East Coast), although some may find this very boring.

Within Taipei, can also go to the night markets (Shilin is one) to eat street food.

therat
Editor
Editor

Post by therat » Wed, 30 Nov 2022 2:33 pm

Kenting is at the south side of Taiwan. I would not suggest to go up, down and up again. Waste too much time on traveling.

I did a 10 days at Taipei before covid but my itinerary all in chinese. You mention your girl know chinese. I give some of the place I went.

1. Jiufen -
2. Yehliu Geopark
3. Pingxi line (Take note of the last train time) - you can align every station, move around. take note of the train time and hop back, then travel to next station. 十分老街 , 十分瀑布 can put sky lantern
4. Tamsui 淡水老街
5. Beitou Hot spring
7. 深坑老街
8. Jingguashi

1. 五分埔
2. 西門町
3. Underground shopping lane at Taipei station. easy spend 1/2 day. Good place to spend during raining day

Night market
1. 饒河街觀光夜市
2. 师大夜市
3. 華西街觀光夜市

Once out of Taipei, if you want to cut short the travel time, engage a driver for 1 day.

As for night market, give Shilin a miss. It is too commercialized. It is for tourist, local dont want to go. But you never went before, you can visit

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 30 Nov 2022 2:48 pm

abbby wrote:
Wed, 30 Nov 2022 1:06 pm
Few must visits places in Taipei...i went there during my last trip.
- Maokong Gondola
- Taipei Zoo
- Miramar Entertainment Park (Ferris Wheel)
- Shifen old street
- i-ride Taipei
- National Palace Museum

Some of these places, you can book the tix from Klook.com
Wow, will definitely check out Klook. Thanks!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 30 Nov 2022 2:48 pm

NYY1 wrote:
Wed, 30 Nov 2022 1:33 pm
You can take the train down and back to Kaohsiung in a day. Or go there and then on to Kenting (and back up the East Coast), although some may find this very boring.

Within Taipei, can also go to the night markets (Shilin is one) to eat street food.
We're definitely planning to visit the night markets, we all love street food, and Taiwan is known to be a street food giant. Heard that Shilin can be a bit touristy though.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 30 Nov 2022 2:50 pm

therat wrote:
Wed, 30 Nov 2022 2:33 pm

1. Jiufen -
2. Yehliu Geopark
4. Tamsui 淡水老街
5. Beitou Hot spring
7. 深坑老街
8. Jingguashi

1. 五分埔
2. 西門町

Night market
1. 饒河街觀光夜市
2. 师大夜市
3. 華西街觀光夜市

This is really helpful! Do you have any idea if it's good to take taxis to and from the hotel? I heard it can be very expensive in Taiwan, but I can't imagine lugging our suitcases all over on the metro.

therat
Editor
Editor

Post by therat » Wed, 30 Nov 2022 3:34 pm

I didn't take any taxi in Taipei.
from airport to hotel,
once I took metro , another time I took their bus.
It really depend where is your hotel.

I went to Taipei twice, I book my hotel near taipei station. I like this location. centre and it have train station, metro station and highway speed station. all in 1 place.

Please take note, in Taipei station there is only 1 lift at the centre. If you miss the lift, all are stair case. The one link to BIG hotel, I think have escalator

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Wed, 30 Nov 2022 4:56 pm

Remember to try out Ding Tai Fung there, tastes the same as in Singapore but the service level is much higher there.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 30 Nov 2022 5:11 pm

The metro from the airport to Taipei wasn’t up and running the last time we were in Taiwan (maybe 7-8 years ago), but apparently it’s supposed to be good.

If you are exploring outside of Taipei, I recommend renting a car, it is one of the few places in Asia that is as easy or easier to drive than Singapore.

We spent most of our time in Taipei, and it’s still a bit like an overgrown Chinatown in many ways, but many parts have modernized and are more like Singapore.

I wasn’t that impressed with the night markets, maybe the popular ones are too touristy, or maybe I am spoiled on good food in Singapore.

The only memorable food was the little “hole in the wall” places that were nearly impossible to order from unless you are good in Chinese, but if you manage to get your order in, the noodles and dumplings you get are better than any you’ll get here.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

YYCole
Regular
Regular

Post by YYCole » Sat, 03 Dec 2022 3:58 pm

abbby wrote:
Wed, 30 Nov 2022 4:56 pm
Remember to try out Ding Tai Fung there, tastes the same as in Singapore but the service level is much higher there.
Somehow the Soup of Ding Tai Fung in Taiwan taste much better than Singapore!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 16 Dec 2022 1:39 am

therat wrote:
Wed, 30 Nov 2022 3:34 pm
I didn't take any taxi in Taipei.
from airport to hotel,
once I took metro , another time I took their bus.
It really depend where is your hotel.

I went to Taipei twice, I book my hotel near taipei station. I like this location. centre and it have train station, metro station and highway speed station. all in 1 place.

Please take note, in Taipei station there is only 1 lift at the centre. If you miss the lift, all are stair case. The one link to BIG hotel, I think have escalator
Hubby booked the hotel, will have to check with him and figure out our journey there from the airport.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 16 Dec 2022 1:40 am

abbby wrote:
Is the price any different?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 16 Dec 2022 1:41 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 30 Nov 2022 5:11 pm
The metro from the airport to Taipei wasn’t up and running the last time we were in Taiwan (maybe 7-8 years ago), but apparently it’s supposed to be good.

If you are exploring outside of Taipei, I recommend renting a car, it is one of the few places in Asia that is as easy or easier to drive than Singapore.

We spent most of our time in Taipei, and it’s still a bit like an overgrown Chinatown in many ways, but many parts have modernized and are more like Singapore.

I wasn’t that impressed with the night markets, maybe the popular ones are too touristy, or maybe I am spoiled on good food in Singapore.

The only memorable food was the little “hole in the wall” places that were nearly impossible to order from unless you are good in Chinese, but if you manage to get your order in, the noodles and dumplings you get are better than any you’ll get here.
I can actually speak a little bit of hokkien, which I understand to be one of the dominant languages spoken there. Hopefully that will serve me well.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 16 Dec 2022 1:42 am

YYCole wrote:
Sat, 03 Dec 2022 3:58 pm
abbby wrote:
Somehow the Soup of Ding Tai Fung in Taiwan taste much better than Singapore!
Apparently, they also have a much larger menu than in Singapore, supposedly have interesting stuff like salted egg lotus root, and chocolate dumplings!