Singapore Expats

Maintaining my PR application status

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 5:11 pm

Maintaining my PR application status

Post by shimishimi » Wed, 16 Nov 2022 5:58 pm

Hi, I got accepted as a PR this year. However, I'm not very clear on how to maintain my PR status. I read somewhere on my documents that in order to extend my PR after 5 years, I've to pay taxes/CPF for the last 3 years. My friend who is a PR said, she got a few friends who didn't pay but still want to extend the PR. They were interviewed and as a result, got extension like 1 year instead of 5 years. If I pay taxes/CPF consistently, there should be no problem for my PR to be extended.
My questions are:

1. I'm planning to go back to uni, if at the end of 5 year period of my PR I haven't finished my studies or only paid taxes/CPF only for the last 1 year, its still problematic right? At worst case scenario, will I be converted to student pass in case I'm still studying?
2. Is it possible for me to study while working, so that I still can pay my CPF? Do people do this to maintain their PR status?
3. Regarding question 2, I'm confused about how much salary is required to pay CPF? If my part time job salary is 500$/month, is it still able to use to pay CPF? If my salary changed from 5000 to 2000 due to changing to part time job, will it cause problem when I try to extend my PR?
Thanks a lot

User avatar
Posts: 9004
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 2
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Maintaining my PR application status

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 17 Nov 2022 10:48 pm

PR generally is more reliant on you residing here. There is some financial analysis I suspect to ensure you are not a burden on the state. I think as a student you should be ok - you don't need to make CPF payments. For question 3 - there are CPF tables that show the contributions to be made.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests