Singapore Expats

Strange but true : Renounced PR and got it back again

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sonnabend

Strange but true : Renounced PR and got it back again

Post by sonnabend » Thu, 10 Nov 2022 1:39 pm

I heard this personally from the person himself, not something like "I heard this from my friend that his friend/relative/etc..."

This person, a citizen of a Western country (but of Chinese background) came to SG under EP in 2000 and subsequently got a PR. Few years later, he decided to renounce his PR and withdraw all his CPF.

He subsequently worked overseas in few countries, got married and had children (one of them is a son). His children hold 3 different citizenships (of the father, the mother, and the country where they were born)

In 2014, he came to Singapore under EP, and applied for PR a year after that as a whole family. Unsurprisingly, it was rejected. But what happened next is very surprising: He appealed, and it was approved.

And I always thought that ex-PR who withdrew their CPF essentially have cut the bridge and blacklisted by the ICA.
Last edited by sonnabend on Thu, 10 Nov 2022 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonnabend

Re: Strange but true : Renounced PR and got it back again

Post by sonnabend » Thu, 10 Nov 2022 1:49 pm

Oh, and I forgot to add, he applied for SC in 2020 and just got approved last week.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 10 Nov 2022 2:02 pm

I guess he's the first person I've heard of who appealed his PR rejection and turned it around.

I guess the ICA will feel vindicated by their original decision to give him back his PR. Vindicated because he applied for citizenship.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 10 Nov 2022 5:58 pm

Did he repay back the CPF at all though?

I will say this - there is a LOT of BS and wives tales around PR / CPF etc - your story is true but the counterpoints are often just asshats talking out of their spare hole.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Nov 2022 11:06 pm

I agree with PNGMK. What proof do YOU have that your friend either withdrew or replaced his CPF funds? This is the conundrum as he could tell you anything. If he didn't withdraw it, then there was no issue. If he replaced it, then he obviously is blowing smoke if you have no proof.

It's pretty clearly spelled out by ICA and the CPF board that it needs to be replaced including any imputed interest it would have earned if left in situ for the duration of time it was withdrawn before any PR attempt would be entertained. Also replacing it also it still NOT a guarantee of regaining PR.

In this case, I have a strong feeling if he withdrew it, he replaced it and topped up the imputed interest as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 13 Nov 2022 11:28 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 10 Nov 2022 11:06 pm
I agree with PNGMK. What proof do YOU have that your friend either withdrew or replaced his CPF funds? This is the conundrum as he could tell you anything. If he didn't withdraw it, then there was no issue. If he replaced it, then he obviously is blowing smoke if you have no proof.

It's pretty clearly spelled out by ICA and the CPF board that it needs to be replaced including any imputed interest it would have earned if left in situ for the duration of time it was withdrawn before any PR attempt would be entertained. Also replacing it also it still NOT a guarantee of regaining PR.

In this case, I have a strong feeling if he withdrew it, he replaced it and topped up the imputed interest as well.
I didnt know replacing of CPF monies can be done by an ex-PR foreigner on EP. So how does that work? It is like his account is just open and he can put any amount of money into it whenever he wants before even applying for PR?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Nov 2022 2:25 am

His NRIC is forever. Even even if his gives up his PR or his SGC. The number will be forever in the system with his identity enshrined with it. The same goes with your FIN number. They are never recycled. If you are on a EP and then contract is up, you go home for a decade and come back on another job, the FIN number will be the same. This is why the government has such a long memory. As the CPF account number is also his NRIC number all those electronic records are kept for posterity. It will also have how much was withdrawn and when.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 14 Nov 2022 8:13 am

Wd40 wrote:
Sun, 13 Nov 2022 11:28 pm
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 10 Nov 2022 11:06 pm

I didnt know replacing of CPF monies can be done by an ex-PR foreigner on EP. So how does that work? It is like his account is just open and he can put any amount of money into it whenever he wants before even applying for PR?
Yes - that's why these stories are usually BS because they don't include the detail of how things happened.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Tue, 15 Nov 2022 1:46 pm

sonnabend wrote:
Thu, 10 Nov 2022 1:39 pm
I heard this personally from the person himself, not something like "I heard this from my friend that his friend/relative/etc..."

This person, a citizen of a Western country (but of Chinese background) came to SG under EP in 2000 and subsequently got a PR. Few years later, he decided to renounce his PR and withdraw all his CPF.

He subsequently worked overseas in few countries, got married and had children (one of them is a son). His children hold 3 different citizenships (of the father, the mother, and the country where they were born)

In 2014, he came to Singapore under EP, and applied for PR a year after that as a whole family. Unsurprisingly, it was rejected. But what happened next is very surprising: He appealed, and it was approved.

And I always thought that ex-PR who withdrew their CPF essentially have cut the bridge and blacklisted by the ICA.
Since you have access to this person, I'd ask the following:

1. What reasons did he submit for his appeal?
2. Was he asked to put back the money in his CPF plus interest before his PR was approved the 2nd time?

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Post by jalanjalan » Wed, 16 Nov 2022 1:33 pm

CPFB and ICA are different entities, and who knows whether or how much CPF status affects ICA's decisions. Probably one factor of many. CPFB is quite clear you need to return the amount withdrawn plus accrued interest if you take up PR again. It's stated on their website under Account Services.