Singapore Expats

Buying fish in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Buying fish in Singapore

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 May 2023 5:56 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Sun, 14 May 2023 8:32 pm
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 14 May 2023 5:46 pm
Here in SE Asia most Tuna are local and are of less than 3 kg. Mackeral, related to tuna, are usually larger in the local variety. Cold water Tuna like Pacific Bluefin can be upwards 450 kg, Atlantic Bluefin is much smaller at approx 60 kg. Most commonly found in the wet markets of SE Asia are the Yellowfin Tuna which also grows to a large size as adults, but juveniles are what are mostly found in the wet markets. These are usually caught by purse seine, pole and line, handlines or trolling.
Thanks SMS! Is it safe to eat these small tuna? I read about high mercury content in tuna, but I am assuming it is those large giant tunas.

We fried the tuna today, the meat was white in colour and it very meaty almost like eating chicken. Very filling too.
The Tuna you get in the wet-market are pretty safe from high mercury levels. But the larger ocean going tuna the levels are much higher again, depending on where it's caught and the species. Bluefin has the highest levels of mercury (especially if you are a sushi lover - the large Bluefin is the sushi of choice for flavour and the melt in you mouth but has the highest levels of mercury. Canned tuna, for the most part is okay and when I was on my diet I used to eat a can a day every three days in my salad for lunch (provided which it is a western country's brand). I also like Tuna steaks as well. The reason the meat is so dense is that Tuna, while a fish and primarily a cold blooded animal is significantly more warm blooded the the average fish (Endothermic). Bluefin can elevate their body temperature up to 20° C above the surrounding water temperature.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 18 May 2023 12:13 am

I consume about 1 can of tuna per week, not a western country brand, if that matters. Tuna here is very pricey, so I’ve always gone for the lowest price that tastes reasonably good.

I used to consume Fair Price brand, but during Covid they ran out and I found Farmland to be equally good - it claims to be “skipjack” tuna, but I have no idea what that means.

Prices of tuna have been going up so I’ve stocked up whenever there is a sale, sitting on over 30 cans at last count.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 May 2023 9:31 pm

I did that about 2 years ago, and it was from Thailand, sure wasn't bumblebee brand. But I bought 1 case in Oil and 1 case in Brine. Took half a case of each and gave each kid a quarter of a case of each and I kept a case of half & half. I ate about half of it and the helper and wife whacked the other half in local dishes. Was less than 50¢ a can so, while not really chunks as advertised and net weigh drained a bit light. Still value for money if quality isn't too much of a concern.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 May 2023 9:37 pm

Skipjack arethe most abundant and smallest species of Tuna worldwide. About 3/4's of the world's' commercial tuna fisheries catch Skipjack tuna. Almost all canned tuna is skipjack or albacore tuna. Skipjack only grow to a length of about 1 m.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 19 May 2023 2:57 pm

Thu, 18 May 2023 9:31 pm
I did that about 2 years ago, and it was from Thailand, sure wasn't bumblebee brand. But I bought 1 case in Oil and 1 case in Brine. Took half a case of each and gave each kid a quarter of a case of each and I kept a case of half & half. I ate about half of it and the helper and wife whacked the other half in local dishes. Was less than 50¢ a can so, while not really chunks as advertised and net weigh drained a bit light. Still value for money if quality isn't too much of a concern.
Do share if you find a bargain like that again!

The best price I’ve seen in my 27 years here was Century brand (from the ‘peens) they had a deal 2 for $2. Not a big fan of that brand, the taste is a bit off and they give a less generous quantity of tuna. However, I used to buy it when I traveled to the PI where it was less than S$1, even not on sale.

Before I moved to Asia, I remember getting 3 cans for US$1 on sale in the US, and that was the good stuff. My brother still taunts me with a giant cans of white albacore he gets in the US for US$2.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 21 May 2023 12:02 am

Wd40 wrote:
Sun, 14 May 2023 10:59 am
I brought home a whole tuna today from wet market. It was 1.4kg and it cost me $10 surprised by how cheap it is. What am I missing?
$10? That's really cheap. They must've had more than they could sell come in that day.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 21 May 2023 12:03 am

NYY1 wrote:
Sun, 14 May 2023 11:39 am
Wd40 wrote:
Sun, 14 May 2023 10:59 am
I brought home a whole tuna today from wet market. It was 1.4kg and it cost me $10 surprised by how cheap it is. What am I missing?
A tuna is usually a massive size fish? Not sure a whole tuna can be 1.4kg?
Most of the fish here is a lot smaller than what you would see overseas.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 21 May 2023 12:04 am

NYY1 wrote:
Sun, 14 May 2023 8:54 pm
Wd40 wrote:
Here in SE Asia most Tuna are local and are of less than 3 kg. Mackeral, related to tuna, are usually larger in the local variety. Cold water Tuna like Pacific Bluefin can be upwards 450 kg, Atlantic Bluefin is much smaller at approx 60 kg. Most commonly found in the wet markets of SE Asia are the Yellowfin Tuna which also grows to a large size as adults, but juveniles are what are mostly found in the wet markets. These are usually caught by purse seine, pole and line, handlines or trolling.
Thanks SMS! Is it safe to eat these small tuna? I read about high mercury content in tuna, but I am assuming it is those large giant tunas.

We fried the tuna today, the meat was white in colour and it very meaty almost like eating chicken. Very filling too.
I guess you are correct (video above). I was going to ask if the texture was meaty as you described. I think it is popular in some restaurants because it is denser and more like other meats (I'm not a particular fan).
I find that fish that is "meaty" can be excellent for blending into dips. Texture is nice when broken down.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 21 May 2023 12:06 am

Wd40 wrote:

The SFA is very strict about food that is brought into Singapore. Only fish with low levels of mercury are permitted to be brought in and sold.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 21 May 2023 12:08 am

Wed, 17 May 2023 5:56 pm
Wd40 wrote:

The Tuna you get in the wet-market are pretty safe from high mercury levels. But the larger ocean going tuna the levels are much higher again, depending on where it's caught and the species. Bluefin has the highest levels of mercury (especially if you are a sushi lover - the large Bluefin is the sushi of choice for flavour and the melt in you mouth but has the highest levels of mercury. Canned tuna, for the most part is okay and when I was on my diet I used to eat a can a day every three days in my salad for lunch (provided which it is a western country's brand). I also like Tuna steaks as well. The reason the meat is so dense is that Tuna, while a fish and primarily a cold blooded animal is significantly more warm blooded the the average fish (Endothermic). Bluefin can elevate their body temperature up to 20° C above the surrounding water temperature.
Why only western canned tuna? I find the Ayam brand tuna to be not half bad.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 21 May 2023 12:10 am

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 18 May 2023 12:13 am
I consume about 1 can of tuna per week, not a western country brand, if that matters. Tuna here is very pricey, so I’ve always gone for the lowest price that tastes reasonably good.

I used to consume Fair Price brand, but during Covid they ran out and I found Farmland to be equally good - it claims to be “skipjack” tuna, but I have no idea what that means.

Prices of tuna have been going up so I’ve stocked up whenever there is a sale, sitting on over 30 cans at last count.
30?! Well at least it's canned so it really can't go bad. I didn't know Farmland sold tuna, I know them mostly for potato products. Their hashbrowns are okay, though the Fair Isle ones are far better and cheaper. I usually get the Ayam brand, but Meadows (cold storage's house brand) is pretty good too.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 21 May 2023 12:11 am

Thu, 18 May 2023 9:31 pm
That's a steal! I haven't seen prices like that in ages.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sun, 21 May 2023 9:04 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 21 May 2023 12:10 am
malcontent wrote:
Thu, 18 May 2023 12:13 am

30?! Well at least it's canned so it really can't go bad. I didn't know Farmland sold tuna, I know them mostly for potato products. Their hashbrowns are okay, though the Fair Isle ones are far better and cheaper. I usually get the Ayam brand, but Meadows (cold storage's house brand) is pretty good too.
I was also skeptical about the brand but was forced to try something new after my usual FairPrice brand ran out. I would actually give Farmland a slight edge over FairPrice in terms of taste and quality.

The cans don’t expire until 2025, and my consumption is around one can a week or 52 cans a year. I don’t mind having extra.. the way prices are going. I used to get FairPrice brand for around $1.80 on sale, but since they came back into stock they are now they are $2.47 and haven’t gone on sale.

I haven’t tried Ayam brand since over 20 years ago, but I recall it wasn’t anything special, nothing that would make me want to pay a premium price — if I’m paying a premium l’ll get a western brand. The absolute worst tuna I’ve ever tried was Fortune brand — only suitable for feline consumption.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 May 2023 6:23 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 21 May 2023 12:08 am

Ayam isn't all that bad. While not voiced, I meant the controls on production, mercury, and cleanliness of the facilities generally speaking are more controlled in Western countries (Singapore, Japan & Korea[maybe] being the exceptions).

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sun, 21 May 2023 10:45 pm

Sun, 21 May 2023 6:23 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 21 May 2023 12:08 am

Ayam isn't all that bad. While not voiced, I meant the controls on production, mercury, and cleanliness of the facilities generally speaking are more controlled in Western countries (Singapore, Japan & Korea[maybe] being the exceptions).
I treat it like hot dogs… I don’t wanna know =;

As long as I don’t see or taste anything weird…