Singapore Expats

Citizenship Application without citizen spouse sponsorship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
dunpraypray

Citizenship Application without citizen spouse sponsorship

Post by dunpraypray » Sat, 05 Nov 2022 7:32 pm

Hi,

I am a Singapore PR and my spouse is a Singapore citizen. I am considering applying for citizenship (been more than 2 years since PR).

When I applied for PR, my spouse didn't have a steady income, so I applied under the PTS scheme, rather than the spouse of Singaporean scheme. Application went through.

Now I need to decide whether I should apply for citizenship by myself as a PR who has been living in Singapore, or ask my spouse to sponsor my application. Spouse's income situation hasn't changed, and given the spouse's income and CPF contribution history, I don't fancy my chances. So my questions are

i. Is it even possible(like it's possible in PR application) to be a spouse of a Singapore citizen but not use their sponsorship on the citizenship application
ii. If yes, would you recommend it?
iii. If the answer to i is no, what would be your recommendation to me?

Period as PR: 2 years
Income: ~200k/year

Thanks!
Last edited by dunpraypray on Sun, 06 Nov 2022 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Citizenship Application without citizen spouse sponsorship

Post by smoulder » Sun, 06 Nov 2022 1:14 am

You haven't really provided many details like how long you have been married, your nationality, your race, your spouse's race, do you have kids and if so what are their nationalities, what kind of of work do you do etc.

But anyway, I was in a similar situation as you. I have posted my background in this thread - > viewtopic.php?t=149575

Long answer short - I see no reason why you can't apply under the PTS scheme. I did and my application was successful.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Nov 2022 2:17 am

I can give you a good reason for not using PTS. If you are a PTS PR, we don't have any anecdotal evidence that you will be able to renew your REP after the age of 55. It's theoretically possible but I know for a fact that you can continue to renew a FT PR after retirement or after the age of 55 which ever comes first (I renewed mine after sitting on a expired REP for 15 months at the age of 57 as I was under the impression you had to be employed to be able to renew your REP. So, after I took another position at 57 I went down and renewed in person and asked at that time and they told me that after 55/retirement if you are a FT PR then their is no work issue for that REP renewal. We never had anybody yet give us a blow by blow on getting the REP if not employed on a PTS PR.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sun, 06 Nov 2022 9:21 am

^ he's already a PR, applying for citizenship, SMS

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Nov 2022 11:26 am

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 06 Nov 2022 9:21 am
^ he's already a PR, applying for citizenship, SMS
Oops. Must have been getting a wee bit sleepy, looking at the timestamp of my post.

Never been there before, but you have recently. I wasn't even aware that there was a different option to apply for SGC between PTS & FT. It would seem, logically, that it wouldn't matter once you had PR as the original obtainment of PR may or may not even be relevant by the time applying for SGC.

Having said that, I'm still thinking that applying for SGC using PTS and being married to a SGC still might send the wrong signal to ICA, e.g. Marriage of Convenience (not linking the SGC to a Local Spouse). Also there is the potential that the application, in PTS form, will possibly not take into consideration the local family ties (due to his choosing to not apply under FT), but the FT route will take into consideration his employment as well.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sun, 06 Nov 2022 2:43 pm

When I applied for SC, my wife wasn't working. That was the main reason why I decided to apply under the PTS scheme. No one knows for sure how the ICA judges, but my fear was that they would look at the application unfavorably since my wife wasn't working.

At the same time, the application form does have enough of other information for them to pick up that I have been married to a SC for over 6 years and we have a child who is also a SC. So I felt that this route would make them consider the things that are in my favor.

dunpraypray

Post by dunpraypray » Sun, 06 Nov 2022 8:38 pm

Thanks smouler and sundaymorningstaple for your views, and smoulder for sharing your journey.

A little more information:

We've been married for close to 4 years, I've lived in Singapore for close to 12 years, I'm an Indian national(and race), wife is Indian race and Singapore citizen. I work on the business side in a global tech firm. I also have a masters degree from a local university, FWIW. No kids, no local property(house etc) yet.

My reasoning is similar to smoulders: I don't see myself standing a chance if my application is based on my spouse's sponsorship(because of her employment and income), but if I apply on my own, and obviously furnish enough details about my citizen spouse, they get a more complete picture of the applicant?

About sending marriage of convenience signals: Isn't it more likely to be a marriage of convenience if I do use SC spouse's sponsorship than not?

Also, smoulders, when you applied for SC, your wife and kids were already SC, yes?

Thanks

dunpraypray

Post by dunpraypray » Sun, 06 Nov 2022 9:43 pm

Also, smoulder, can I check if your marriage is registered in Singapore?

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Post by jalanjalan » Sun, 06 Nov 2022 11:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 06 Nov 2022 11:26 am
Never been there before, but you have recently. I wasn't even aware that there was a different option to apply for SGC between PTS & FT. It would seem, logically, that it wouldn't matter once you had PR as the original obtainment of PR may or may not even be relevant by the time applying for SGC.
SC application under FT is done by the sponsor. I didn't technically need to do anything til the Singapore journey stuff, and when they actually called me down to do the final paperwork and take oath. Sponsor had to accompany me to ICA for that too.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 07 Nov 2022 12:06 am

dunpraypray wrote:
Sun, 06 Nov 2022 8:38 pm
Thanks smouler and sundaymorningstaple for your views, and smoulder for sharing your journey.

A little more information:

We've been married for close to 4 years, I've lived in Singapore for close to 12 years, I'm an Indian national(and race), wife is Indian race and Singapore citizen. I work on the business side in a global tech firm. I also have a masters degree from a local university, FWIW. No kids, no local property(house etc) yet.

My reasoning is similar to smoulders: I don't see myself standing a chance if my application is based on my spouse's sponsorship(because of her employment and income), but if I apply on my own, and obviously furnish enough details about my citizen spouse, they get a more complete picture of the applicant?

About sending marriage of convenience signals: Isn't it more likely to be a marriage of convenience if I do use SC spouse's sponsorship than not?

Also, smoulders, when you applied for SC, your wife and kids were already SC, yes?

Thanks
When I applied for SC, my wife and daughter were both SCs. ROM was done in Singapore.