Singapore Expats

Citizenship approval 2022 - single female in 30s

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
pooomoomoo

Citizenship approval 2022 - single female in 30s

Post by pooomoomoo » Mon, 31 Oct 2022 12:30 am

Hello! Applied for citizenship last year and found a lot of posts here very insightful; wanted to share my experience in case anyone finds it helpful. Also, I see myself as a more atypical profile so thought I'd share.

Background:

I'm an unmarried woman in my 30s born and raised in China. I moved to Singapore in 2003 but have been moving around a lot ever since; didn't go to local university here. I got my PR right after high school in 2006 along with my mom and she acquired citizenship a few years later, while I stayed a Chinese citizen.

Throughout the years I've been a PR, I have mostly been overseas and only worked here briefly for less than a year, hence my previous application was rejected due to a lack of physical residence.

I moved back for good in 2018 and started a new job in 2020 and have been working here ever since.

Employment info:
Salary: $6000 a month at the time of application; switched jobs and started making $10K+ a few months after; updated ICA via email and was asked to submit employment contract
Industry and role: data/tech

Timeline:
Applied June 2021 and approved March 2022 (8 months)
Passport in hand April 2022 right before everyone went crazy with renewals :p

It took less than 9 months for the approval, which I thought was pretty efficient during the pandemic. In my application I wrote about contributing to a smart nation and improving data infrastructure as a citizen. I didn't include property ownership information in the application as I felt that was irrelevant to the application and one's contribution.

Based on anecdotal evidence, most of the successful Chinese applicants I've seen were those that completed their PhDs or masters in Singapore and usually in an engineering/quantatative field. In my case, none of that was true and I only switched to a tech career in the last few years. Hope this sheds some light on single applicants applying on their own. In my personal opinion, your skillset and salary are two major factors that could influence your application. During the pandemic there was a shortage of local tech talent which might have given me the upper hand in my application. Just my two cents. Feel free to reach out if there's any other questions!