Singapore Expats

How to fall asleep and wake up early

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Re: How to fall asleep and wake up early

Post by SGBoyxxx » Mon, 21 Nov 2022 10:09 am

x9200 wrote:
Mon, 21 Nov 2022 8:05 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 21 Nov 2022 1:44 am
SGBoyxxx wrote:
Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:38 am

Hard to say for individuals but of course some will turn off their lights at 10 or 11pm sleep.
My old man is semi-retired but has managed to get to bed by 9 for decades. Don't know how he does it.
My standard sleeping cycle is 9-10pm to 5-6am, but this is partly the result I don't sleep well and often wake up around 3am (average length 5-7h). On the other hand even if I manage to sleep 9-6 (9h) I still have no problem to fall asleep 9pm the same day, so it is probably some individual predisposition.

As of the valerian root, this specific one worked very well for me:
https://suzanneshaklee.wordpress.com/20 ... p-complex/
I used to buy it from Whatsons but not sure if still available. 3 tables completely relieve any stress and promote sleep within 40-50min in my case, but you probably weight less so you may experiment with lower dosage. Actually even with one tablet I can feel the effect.

Other than that, just look up what is available on iHerb (free delivery above SGD60):
https://sg.iherb.com/search?kw=valerian+sleep

Generally, the natural alternatives you may want to try are stuff based on:
- valerian root
- passion flower
- chamomile
- ashwagandha
You may try them alone or in the mixtures.
Beside the VR, I am not going to tell you what works for me and what doesn't, so you don't have any prejudice.

If you have cats at home, they will also love you for taking VR :)
lol cat, 3am Hooman

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Mon, 21 Nov 2022 1:14 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 30 Oct 2022 8:48 pm
Anybody have any advice? I've been struggling with some pretty bad insomnia lately, it's gotten pretty bad, to the point that I sometimes only fall asleep at 5am. My work is fine as I do a flexi WFH arrangement, but I'd like for things to get better. Ideally I'd love to fall asleep around 9-10 and get up at 5-6. Anybody know what I can do?
Before you start to look at anything like melatonin or valerian root, you first practice good 'sleep hygiene'.

Rule number one: the bedroom is reserved for sleeping and, um, 'relaxation'. That means no phones or laptops allowed.

Rule number two: stop looking at your phone/screen/TV at least 30 mins before retiring. You can read a paper-based book but no electronic devices.

Rule number three: no caffeine after 2pm (It doesn't matter if 'caffeine has no effect on you' - because it probably does.)

Rule number four: No food or snacks before bedtime - there should be a minimum of 1 hour post meal/snack before you go to bed.

Rule Five: If you find that you cannot sleep or you wake up and can't go back to sleep, instead of lying there feeling frustrated, get up and go out to your living room and read a book (paper-based NOT digital) with just a table lamp as a light source - no bright ceiling light.

The whole point of these rules are 1) to get your subconscious mind to understand that the bedroom is for sleeping (and 'relaxation') only. Bed = sleep and 2) to reduce any sources of stimulation (work issues/social media disagreements/forum discussion/global stupidity, digestion, blue light etc).

Do these things first for a few days and then see if you need to supplement with melatonin or other sleep aids.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 21 Nov 2022 11:57 pm

SGBoyxxx wrote:
Mon, 21 Nov 2022 1:58 am
Lisafuller wrote:
SGBoyxxx wrote:

Hard to say for individuals but of course some will turn off their lights at 10 or 11pm sleep.
My old man is semi-retired but has managed to get to bed by 9 for decades. Don't know how he does it.
semi retired lol of course get afford get bed early. I mean in SG most sleep before 12am hardly can able to go bed by 9pm or even early due to individual commitment.
My point is that he's been doing this even when he was working 10 hours a day. Next level discipline.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 21 Nov 2022 11:59 pm

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 21 Nov 2022 7:35 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 20 Nov 2022 11:56 pm
smoulder wrote:
Sat, 05 Nov 2022 12:43 am
Melatonin capsules :s
I've taken melatonin gummies, but I didn't find them to be very effective. Are the capsules any different?
Never tried the gummies so I'm not sure. However, dosage may be a factor. 10 mg works alright for me.
Honestly can't remember the dosage of the gummies but I'm assuming they were pretty weak because I didn't find them to be very effective. Where do you get the capsules? Maybe they have them on iHerb

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 22 Nov 2022 12:02 am

x9200 wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
SGBoyxxx wrote:

My standard sleeping cycle is 9-10pm to 5-6am, but this is partly the result I don't sleep well and often wake up around 3am (average length 5-7h). On the other hand even if I manage to sleep 9-6 (9h) I still have no problem to fall asleep 9pm the same day, so it is probably some individual predisposition.

I used to buy it from Whatsons but not sure if still available. 3 tables completely relieve any stress and promote sleep within 40-50min in my case, but you probably weight less so you may experiment with lower dosage. Actually even with one tablet I can feel the effect.

Other than that, just look up what is available on iHerb (free delivery above SGD60):

- valerian root
- passion flower
- chamomile
- ashwagandha
Beside the VR, I am not going to tell you what works for me and what doesn't, so you don't have any prejudice.

No cats here! I've got a dog though LOL.

I've tried chamomile, which did help to make me less restless and more calm, but it didn't do very much in terms of getting me sleepy. Often times I find that even if I force myself to be in bed by 9, I end up staying awake for hours which is just so annoying. I worry about taking ashwagandha, I've heard that it's used to alleviate anxiety and is used as a natural alternative for antidepressants, but the side effect is that it can cause you to become quite numb emotionally, which I wouldn't want.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 22 Nov 2022 12:04 am

x9200 wrote:
Mon, 21 Nov 2022 8:17 am
SGBoyxxx wrote:
Mon, 21 Nov 2022 1:58 am
Lisafuller wrote:

semi retired lol of course get afford get bed early. I mean in SG most sleep before 12am hardly can able to go bed by 9pm or even early due to individual commitment.
I don't want to open Pandora's box, but I think in 90% of the cases is the result of problems with one of the following: (1) organizing your time; (2) effectiveness of your work; (3) false perceptions as of the requirements of your bosses; (4) true perceptions for No 3.; (5) other forms of self-induced obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Definitely, I believe 1 is the strongest contributor, while 3 and 4 promote 5.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 22 Nov 2022 12:05 am

SGBoyxxx wrote:
Mon, 21 Nov 2022 10:09 am
x9200 wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

- valerian root
- passion flower
- chamomile
- ashwagandha

lol cat, 3am Hooman
I'm assuming the effect will be somewhat like catnip, I've seen videos of cats just going absolutely crazy once they sense catnip - it's hilarious :mrgreen:

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 22 Nov 2022 12:11 am

Addadude wrote:
Mon, 21 Nov 2022 1:14 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Anybody have any advice? I've been struggling with some pretty bad insomnia lately, it's gotten pretty bad, to the point that I sometimes only fall asleep at 5am. My work is fine as I do a flexi WFH arrangement, but I'd like for things to get better. Ideally I'd love to fall asleep around 9-10 and get up at 5-6. Anybody know what I can do?
Before you start to look at anything like melatonin or valerian root, you first practice good 'sleep hygiene'.

Rule number one: the bedroom is reserved for sleeping and, um, 'relaxation'. That means no phones or laptops allowed.

Rule number two: stop looking at your phone/screen/TV at least 30 mins before retiring. You can read a paper-based book but no electronic devices.

Rule number three: no caffeine after 2pm (It doesn't matter if 'caffeine has no effect on you' - because it probably does.)

Rule number four: No food or snacks before bedtime - there should be a minimum of 1 hour post meal/snack before you go to bed.

Rule Five: If you find that you cannot sleep or you wake up and can't go back to sleep, instead of lying there feeling frustrated, get up and go out to your living room and read a book (paper-based NOT digital) with just a table lamp as a light source - no bright ceiling light.

The whole point of these rules are 1) to get your subconscious mind to understand that the bedroom is for sleeping (and 'relaxation') only. Bed = sleep and 2) to reduce any sources of stimulation (work issues/social media disagreements/forum discussion/global stupidity, digestion, blue light etc).

Do these things first for a few days and then see if you need to supplement with melatonin or other sleep aids.
I love this analogy! I'll definitely give this a go, at the moment I am only abiding by rules 3 and 4. I think the biggest challenge for me will be eliminating gadgets before bedtime, and reading a physical book instead of one downloaded online. I used to get most of my literature from z library, but it was recently taken down for piracy violations.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 22 Nov 2022 12:22 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 21 Nov 2022 11:59 pm
smoulder wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 20 Nov 2022 11:56 pm

I've taken melatonin gummies, but I didn't find them to be very effective. Are the capsules any different?
Never tried the gummies so I'm not sure. However, dosage may be a factor. 10 mg works alright for me.
Honestly can't remember the dosage of the gummies but I'm assuming they were pretty weak because I didn't find them to be very effective. Where do you get the capsules? Maybe they have them on iHerb
Yup iHerb. I think you get them in GNC as well but they cost a bit more. I have been using the 10mg capsules.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 22 Nov 2022 12:31 am

smoulder wrote:
Tue, 22 Nov 2022 12:22 am
Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:

Yup iHerb. I think you get them in GNC as well but they cost a bit more. I have been using the 10mg capsules.
I avoid GNC, nearly everything is overpriced, and iherb tends to do sales pretty regularly. I'm assuming as a fitness junkie you frequent GNC for the protein and supplements?

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 22 Nov 2022 1:02 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 22 Nov 2022 12:31 am
smoulder wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

I avoid GNC, nearly everything is overpriced, and iherb tends to do sales pretty regularly. I'm assuming as a fitness junkie you frequent GNC for the protein and supplements?
Actually, I've stopped frequenting GNC. I buy supplements like protein and creatine on Lazada. I find a lot more choice apart from generally better prices.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 23 Nov 2022 1:24 am

smoulder wrote:
Tue, 22 Nov 2022 1:02 am
Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:

Actually, I've stopped frequenting GNC. I buy supplements like protein and creatine on Lazada. I find a lot more choice apart from generally better prices.
I see. I've been working out every weekday for about two months now, and I've been dealing with a lot of strength training. I'm thinking of trying out creatine, do you think it'll make a difference for me? Any thoughts on how to start?

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 23 Nov 2022 7:49 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 23 Nov 2022 1:24 am
smoulder wrote:
Tue, 22 Nov 2022 1:02 am
Lisafuller wrote:

I see. I've been working out every weekday for about two months now, and I've been dealing with a lot of strength training. I'm thinking of trying out creatine, do you think it'll make a difference for me? Any thoughts on how to start?
Creatine is the only supplement out there that does what it's advertised to do. Aid with strength increases. Other than steroids of course :)

If you do give it a shot, usage is no different than how any other person would use it. Take about 5 mg every day - take it with a cup of milk or with a meal with carbs. On workout days, take it after your workout.

2 months on creatine and a month off is generally recommended. Or in my case, 4 weeks on and 2 off. It coincides with periods of heavy training and back off periods to help my 40 plus body recover :(

Just a tip though - in my experience, you will notice the difference when you push yourself a bit harder than you would otherwise - don't be afraid to add a few more pounds on the bar. The creatine does help you a bit.

truthhurts1
Chatter
Chatter

Post by truthhurts1 » Wed, 23 Nov 2022 2:08 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Last edited by truthhurts1 on Wed, 23 Nov 2022 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

truthhurts1
Chatter
Chatter

Post by truthhurts1 » Wed, 23 Nov 2022 2:09 pm

truthhurts1 wrote:
Wed, 23 Nov 2022 2:08 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
I don’t drink coffee after 3pm and see the difference.
Also took up boxing 4 times in a week which is very intense and makes my body tired.
I sleep at least 5-6 hours even though I am going through a bout of suicidal thoughts every day and stress and pressure at work and the uncertainties that come with being an expat.