Singapore Expats

Hiring FDW without agency

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
dilbert

Hiring FDW without agency

Post by dilbert » Fri, 21 Oct 2022 11:42 pm

Hi guys, I am planning to rehire a maid who’s worked for my family in the past. She is now in Myanmar.

Have any of you hired directly without an agent before or would you recommend retaining one to do the paperwork? Appreciate recs if you know someone good.

Thanks

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Hiring FDW without agency

Post by abbby » Sat, 22 Oct 2022 9:59 am

Since you know one who has worked with you before, just hire directly skip the maid agencies, they will charge you high fees for just paperwork for which you can do it yourself and save yourself a few thousand dollars.

I had been doing all the paperwork on my own, and it's not difficult if you just follow through the step by step by MOM

https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... ork-permit
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 22 Oct 2022 8:28 pm

dilbert wrote:
Fri, 21 Oct 2022 11:42 pm
Hi guys, I am planning to rehire a maid who’s worked for my family in the past. She is now in Myanmar.

Have any of you hired directly without an agent before or would you recommend retaining one to do the paperwork? Appreciate recs if you know someone good.
No need for an agent unless you like to waste your money and likely time.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 22 Oct 2022 9:11 pm

dilbert wrote:Hi guys, I am planning to rehire a maid who’s worked for my family in the past. She is now in Myanmar.

Thanks
If you've worked with her before and are comfortable filling out the paperwork then skip the agency.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 22 Oct 2022 9:13 pm

abbby wrote:Since you know one who has worked with you before, just hire directly skip the maid agencies, they will charge you high fees for just paperwork for which you can do it yourself and save yourself a few thousand dollars.

I had been doing all the paperwork on my own, and it's not difficult if you just follow through the step by step by MOM

https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... ork-permit
Yeah, I tend to see agencies as sort of a matchmaking service to connect helpers with employers - once they've done that they lose their utility.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 22 Oct 2022 9:18 pm

x9200 wrote:
dilbert wrote:
Fri, 21 Oct 2022 11:42 pm

No need for an agent unless you like to waste your money and likely time.
Yeah, and you don't have to worry about getting scammed - these scams seem to be getting more prevalent each year.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Tue, 25 Oct 2022 5:40 pm

One of the steps would require the employer to take the helper to MOM (bendemeer rd) to scan her fingerprint, thereafter the work permit would be delivered to your residence. I see many helpers taking Grab or bus on their own to MOM to scan their fingerprints. It's very straightforward so don't be frightened of the steps. It will save you easily $3-5k.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 27 Oct 2022 12:46 am

abbby wrote:
Tue, 25 Oct 2022 5:40 pm
One of the steps would require the employer to take the helper to MOM (bendemeer rd) to scan her fingerprint, thereafter the work permit would be delivered to your residence. I see many helpers taking Grab or bus on their own to MOM to scan their fingerprints. It's very straightforward so don't be frightened of the steps. It will save you easily $3-5k.
Yep, and this is a few months wages!