Singapore Expats

advice on laptop plz...

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
wilson

advice on laptop plz...

Post by wilson » Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:41 pm

HI EVERYBODY,

I am going to buy laptop, before that well as people do... research...

I have known that toshiba and fujitsu are the best laptop.. but the price also best (the most expensive)

So i decided to go for acer or dell... which is the cheapest..

Is it true that intel pentium centrino slow? is it really much slower than pentium 4? Because nowadays a lot of laptop are provided with intel pentium centrino. Since i use it for 3d softwares, is it really a big deal?

Any advice on others laptop or anything about it, i will appreciate it very much, THX

PhantomX

Post by PhantomX » Wed, 06 Apr 2005 11:43 pm

Dell seems to have the most cost effective package. You can phone order one for around 1700 to just under 2000 singapore dollars. No use spending big bugs given accelerated obsolescence rates nowadays. You'll get a much more powerful version of the same thing if not more in 2 years for the same price then. Not unless you're a hungry and need a real power monster :!:
Last edited by PhantomX on Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
X

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:06 am

I'm an owner of an IBM Thinkpad T42, and I'm pretty well sold on it. Very rugged... this machine gets hauled all over the place... titanium case is very sturdy... very good wireless connection management... not the typical windows crap. Only real downside is it is a but heavier than I might like.

This machine cost S$2400 with 512 meg of memory, 80 gig drive, CD Rom burner/DVD reader, 64 meg graphics, built in wireless (g), plus the very nice 'eraser' mouse control, in addition to regular touch pad controls. Also comes with Windoze XP Pro.

From the ads I've seen in the paper, the $2000 Dell comes with only 256 meg memory and 40 gig HD... but I could be wrong. You probably won't go wrong with it.

If you're going to use the machine on an airplane in coach beware real big screens and the new wide screens... a major pain in the ass went the fellow in front reclines.

Nothing wrong with the Centrino processor... they all got it... it's the only way to save power... go with a P4 and you have a room heater that needs a briefcase full of batteries.

Look for good front bus speed, good video transfer rates, independent interleaved video memory, and fast disk... some laptop disks have terrible transfer rates.

PhantomX

Post by PhantomX » Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:20 am

The Dell has a free upgrade to 512mb and cd burner and dvd burner thrown in for free and a wide screen for the Inspiron 6000 model. Seems a reasonable package for the money
X

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:22 am

The Dell guys keep kicking my ass playing golf.

PhantomX

Post by PhantomX » Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:28 am

Well it won't be long you'll kick their b...lls(... off the green...I mean)if they keep it up with you :lol:
X

wilson

Post by wilson » Thu, 07 Apr 2005 3:07 am

Hahaha :D thx guys
I am going to buy the inspiron 9300.. seems like suite on me since i am using 3d softwares and i get the newest geforce when u customize the specs.. 8)

Lam

Post by Lam » Thu, 07 Apr 2005 5:13 pm

How is the customer service for dell? Has it got better?