Singapore Expats

Is it even worth living in SG anymore as a foreigner?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Is it even worth living in SG anymore as a foreigner?

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:36 am

Rents are going up like crazy. Some of my colleague's recent rental renewals are at 4k for simple 1bedroom condo and 3 bedroom HDB! If you have like 2 kids in intl school and pay like 2k each and 4k rent, how can anybody survive here with a salary of 10k?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... r-pressure

In my 13 years here, this is the 1st time, I am wondering if it even makes sense to continue staying here.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Is it even worth living in SG anymore as a foreigner?

Post by malcontent » Sat, 15 Oct 2022 9:52 am

Wd40 wrote:
Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:36 am
Rents are going up like crazy. Some of my colleague's recent rental renewals are at 4k for simple 1bedroom condo and 3 bedroom HDB! If you have like 2 kids in intl school and pay like 2k each and 4k rent, how can anybody survive here with a salary of 10k?

In my 13 years here, this is the 1st time, I am wondering if it even makes sense to continue staying here.
It reminds me of a story I read many years ago about Yahoo mail. Yahoo wasn’t making money from mail and one commentator said the company simply could not shed users of its popular mail service - it was wondering what it had to do to reduce numbers… even if it kicked people in the nuts, they would not leave!

Sometimes I wonder if the increasing difficulty of getting PR/SC makes it more alluring, kind of like schools that have a lower acceptance rates - everyone thinks it must be the best since it is so oversubscribed.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

truthhurts1
Chatter
Chatter

Post by truthhurts1 » Sat, 15 Oct 2022 11:03 am

Wd40 wrote:

It depends bro.. for some people like me going back to India is not an option after 22 years and being 40+ its gonna be difficult to move to a new country.. so here I am stuck here for almost 10 years and still no stability, still cant have enough Money to get married nor start a family or even buy a decent house.

People who have options need to move.

ON the rental part my owner increased the rental of my shoe box condo by 30% from 2300 to 3000 and this will further make it difficult to save anything.
I would definitely leave and move back if I had just close to 300,000USD in the bank and no debts, liabilities!!

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 15 Oct 2022 11:54 am

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 15 Oct 2022 9:52 am
Wd40 wrote:

It reminds me of a story I read many years ago about Yahoo mail. Yahoo wasn’t making money from mail and one commentator said the company simply could not shed users of its popular mail service - it was wondering what it had to do to reduce numbers… even if it kicked people in the nuts, they would not leave!

Sometimes I wonder if the increasing difficulty of getting PR/SC makes it more alluring, kind of like schools that have a lower acceptance rates - everyone thinks it must be the best since it is so oversubscribed.
People who are already here might continue to stay due to inertia. But I wonder how do you attract new talent? Companies will have to increase salaries and salary rise expectations go up across the board and cause run away inflation and sooner or later, this inflation which currently hurts only foreigners will hurt locals too. So shouldnt the authorities do something to clamp down this inflation?

In the US mortgage rates are 6% now. This is how they are taming their housing and rent bubble. But Singapore it seems, this bubble is not even a concern because most locals are benefitting from it. But is it sustainable? A bit like killing the goose which lays goldens eggs foolishly thinking that you can have all the eggs at once.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sat, 15 Oct 2022 1:22 pm

As I understand it, the reason that landlords are increasing rents is because they are shelling out more to the banks. Mortgage rates have been climbing steadily over the past year. I can tell you this as a home owner myself - I am not renting out of course; we stay in our own house and our mortgage increased and will increase again when the current lock in ends in February next year.

There is no property bubble here - property is still a low yield "investment". The bubble is effectively tamed by things like buyer stamp duty and additional buyer stamp duty.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 15 Oct 2022 1:32 pm

smoulder wrote:
Sat, 15 Oct 2022 1:22 pm
As I understand it, the reason that landlords are increasing rents is because they are shelling out more to the banks. Mortgage rates have been climbing steadily over the past year. I can tell you this as a home owner myself - I am not renting out of course; we stay in our own house and our mortgage increased and will increase again when the current lock in ends in February next year.

There is no property bubble here - property is still a low yield "investment". The bubble is effectively tamed by things like buyer stamp duty and additional buyer stamp duty.
The stamp duty is heavy for foreigners. Locals will find loops holes and buy 2nd property in wife's name or kids name or just go abroad or go and stay in parents place. You effectively have this arbitrage, buy property and rent out to foreigners because they have no choice. There is clear evidence of greed here when rents are jumping 50-100% and mortgage payments haven't jumped anywhere that much.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sat, 15 Oct 2022 1:47 pm

You pay more stamp duty on the second property which from what I can see is 17 percent unless I'm missing something. If you aren't buying a second property, how do you rent out either?

Secondly, I hear you about an element of greed at the moment. But it's a bit far fetched to call this a property bubble yet. Again, I say this, not only as a home owner, but also as someone who invests in the stock market. Property prices rarely increase at the same clip as stocks and that makes it a terrible investment.
Last edited by smoulder on Sat, 15 Oct 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 15 Oct 2022 1:58 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Sat, 15 Oct 2022 1:32 pm
smoulder wrote:
Sat, 15 Oct 2022 1:22 pm

The stamp duty is heavy for foreigners. Locals will find loops holes and buy 2nd property in wife's name or kids name or just go abroad or go and stay in parents place. You effectively have this arbitrage, buy property and rent out to foreigners because they have no choice. There is clear evidence of greed here when rents are jumping 50-100% and mortgage payments haven't jumped anywhere that much.
Don’t forget the recent hike in property tax on homes that are not owner occupied… that also contributed to the higher rents we see today. It’s not as if landlords are willing to absorb such costs; they pass right through in rent.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 15 Oct 2022 2:18 pm

Looking at the data, from the low 5 years ago until now, rents across the island have only gone up 47% on average.

https://www.srx.com.sg/price-index

Landlords who are asking for double are just hoping to get lucky. It’s part of the culture here, people always hope to gain an unfair advantage in any situation. They will play the game, bold-faced. I’ve encountered it many times.

The best you can do is show them the data — pour some cold water on their wet dream. Let them know you are not a fool and won’t be taken advantage of. If they have half a brain, they will relent. If not, there’s no helping them… let them fish for another sucker and learn the hard way. Back when I rented, I can’t tell you how many times I just walked away, shaking my head in disbelief at these clowns.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sat, 15 Oct 2022 2:36 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 15 Oct 2022 2:18 pm
Looking at the data, from the low 5 years ago until now, rents across the island have only gone up 47% on average.

Landlords who are asking for double are just hoping to get lucky. It’s part of the culture here, people always hope to gain an unfair advantage in any situation. They will play the game, bold-faced. I’ve encountered it many times.

The best you can do is show them the data — pour some cold water on their wet dream. Let them know you are not a fool and won’t be taken advantage of. If they have half a brain, they will relent. If not, there’s no helping them… let them fish for another sucker and learn the hard way. Back when I rented, I can’t tell you how many times I just walked away, shaking my head in disbelief at these clowns.
Agreed. Market data is your best friend as a renter. We've used the same websites to negotiate.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Sat, 15 Oct 2022 3:21 pm

Different people have different interpretation of the same situation , depending on home ownership n immigration status.

It’s very interesting to see such objective reasoning.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 15 Oct 2022 6:08 pm

malcontent wrote:

It takes time for the averages to show up the recent increase in rents. I also look in the HDB average rental stats and they dont show the recent rise in rents because some people just stay in the same place for so long and are lucky that their owners are not increasing their rents. The best place is to see ..

The biggest problem is there is still a massive shortage of houses. If there is 1 house for viewing there are like 20 people wanting to view. So the owner can literally wait for the most desperate person to offer the highest bid and then that becomes the standard. It is really crazy out there.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Sun, 16 Oct 2022 12:51 am

Isn’t this what free market economics is all about.

Works both ways. For years, demand was less hence rent has been cheap.

jwoods1864
Regular
Regular

Post by jwoods1864 » Sun, 16 Oct 2022 3:52 am

Cheap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 16 Oct 2022 11:38 am

smoulder wrote:
Sat, 15 Oct 2022 2:36 pm
malcontent wrote:

Agreed. Market data is your best friend as a renter. We've used the same websites to negotiate.
Let me quote one of my LLs after I told him that the price he asked was higher than the market average: "I know it's more (than the average) but I still think it is fair".
Yes, you can walk away, but if this is about extending your current rent, one have to factor also moving costs including huge inconvenience. This makes you vulnerable and surely there are many vultures around happy to abuse such situations.

The bottom line is, you can not really use any logic based arguments, because their logic is based on greed, kiasu logic. As you will incur some high costs moving out, their logic is they offer you savings even with inflated rent.