Singapore Expats

Is it even worth living in SG anymore as a foreigner?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Is it even worth living in SG anymore as a foreigner?

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 28 Dec 2022 1:40 am

smoulder wrote:
Tue, 27 Dec 2022 11:15 am
truthhurts1 wrote:
Tue, 27 Dec 2022 10:37 am
Wd40 wrote:
Thu, 22 Dec 2022 11:05 am

I just cant help but come back to your post and think how wrong you are about India.
SGDINR just hit 61.4, I saved about 80K SGD with my normal salary of 145k gross all-in salary, this year, with a family of 3.

80k SGD converts to 4.9Million INR and you could buy a nice house in a city like Bangalore for twice that amount fully paid, no loan.

So just 2 years of my savings is enough to buy a nice house in India. You are single and your salary is 180k.

It is very clear, you have some very idiosyncratic problem with India, maybe you belong to a minority community(Muslim?) I can understand why you would feel about India that way and dont want to even go there and your affinity towards Malaysia. Or may be other family problems which is why you dont even want to go and meet your family. But this is very specific problem to you and it is not a problem with India.

Hey bro sorry for the late response as I didn’t get on this forum for a while.

You are right I don’t have family ties in India anymore as my foster parents are not in touch with me now. I am not Muslim btw, I converted to Christianity a while ago..

My thoughts on India are based on a couple of school friends I have and they been struggling to get out of India for a while without success.
They told me life is tough and they are planning to move to Australia and retire there in a few years, they don’t want their kids to suffer..

My parents are from Delhi and it’s a Brootal place when it comes to cost of living and also buying a new property is more expensive than Singapore in many cases.

Also I do not like the attitude of Indians in India, they will never progress..

Look at china and look at us and you will agree with me.

Let me know what you think
I guess each of you cannot convince the other about your respective points of view. In my opinion, part of the reason is because your experiences in India are like night and day and therefore you are not on the same page.

I feel that once the heart has decided on something, it's hard to go back or change course. Having said that, you had an opportunity to avoid moving back to India (eventually), but you've been chasing after a goal which is not going to be easy to achieve (SPR).

You've had your chances (you could have bitten the bullet and gotten married to your girlfriend) but you haven't taken them so it's only going to get harder as age becomes a factor.

If I were in your position, I'd assess all my options quickly before age puts them out of reach, then start working and saving up /investing to match the requirements. Else, you could end up running out of luck and very bitter later.

You have to remember that immigration in the late 20th century and at the present time is generally very hard to achieve. It might sound like everyone and his uncle is immigrating, but the reality is that a very small percentage of people are actually immigrating. That includes folks like you who have been able to work and live overseas. Once you get a chance, if you really want it, you grab it with both hands.

PS. I can't really tell whether your preferred path is "anywhere" outside India or only a selection of countries.
Sage advice. You're right, it may seem like everyone is immigrating but it is really only a small group, not as easy as it seems and only gets tougher with age.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 28 Dec 2022 1:41 am

truthhurts1 wrote:
Tue, 27 Dec 2022 7:25 pm
smoulder wrote:
Tue, 27 Dec 2022 11:15 am
truthhurts1 wrote:

You are right I don’t have family ties in India anymore as my foster parents are not in touch with me now. I am not Muslim btw, I converted to Christianity a while ago..

My thoughts on India are based on a couple of school friends I have and they been struggling to get out of India for a while without success.
They told me life is tough and they are planning to move to Australia and retire there in a few years, they don’t want their kids to suffer..

My parents are from Delhi and it’s a Brootal place when it comes to cost of living and also buying a new property is more expensive than Singapore in many cases.

I guess each of you cannot convince the other about your respective points of view. In my opinion, part of the reason is because your experiences in India are like night and day and therefore you are not on the same page.

I feel that once the heart has decided on something, it's hard to go back or change course. Having said that, you had an opportunity to avoid moving back to India (eventually), but you've been chasing after a goal which is not going to be easy to achieve (SPR).

You've had your chances (you could have bitten the bullet and gotten married to your girlfriend) but you haven't taken them so it's only going to get harder as age becomes a factor.

If I were in your position, I'd assess all my options quickly before age puts them out of reach, then start working and saving up /investing to match the requirements. Else, you could end up running out of luck and very bitter later.

You have to remember that immigration in the late 20th century and at the present time is generally very hard to achieve. It might sound like everyone and his uncle is immigrating, but the reality is that a very small percentage of people are actually immigrating. That includes folks like you who have been able to work and live overseas. Once you get a chance, if you really want it, you grab it with both hands.

PS. I can't really tell whether your preferred path is "anywhere" outside India or only a selection of countries.

Honestly I would rather die than go to India ever in my life ..

I am planning to do the ROM but have cold feet,
Women nowadays especially the younger ones are hypergamous
What happens when I don’t earn as much as I earn now or if the girl starts eating more
This is a question
I think I will take the plunge soon
You are right about immigration, one more year and it’s over for me
Thank you very much for your insights
Seems a bit harsh...

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 28 Dec 2022 1:42 am

jwoods1864 wrote:
Tue, 27 Dec 2022 9:42 pm
If the girl starts eating more?
Seriously lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My thoughts exactly! Sounds like a problem with his mentality rather than an issue with the girl.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by the observer » Wed, 28 Dec 2022 10:16 am

This kept popping up in my social media.

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-econ ... ility-home

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Dec 2022 1:47 pm

Inflation is going to have a couple of booster rockets fastened to it's arse. If you think it's already rocketing, watch as this PRC wave grows.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 28 Dec 2022 1:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 28 Dec 2022 1:47 pm
Inflation is going to have a couple of booster rockets fastened to it's arse. If you think it's already rocketing, watch as this PRC wave grows.
Yep. The PAP loyalties are obvious now. The "true blues" missed their chance to fix this in the last few GE's and the HDB's will be ghetto land soon enough. Have you noticed how many new M-B G Wagons are on the road? That's a 500k SUV.

If you don't own a property you will be priced out now forever if middle class. HDB is facing a massive popularity crisis as questions about it's costing come up and H-C (love her, hate her) really put her foot in her mouth by stating "buying a HDB is just prepaying rent" (cant' be arsed finding the link) to which a commentator asked "why are we paying property tax" to which H-C has gone on the attack (seems daddy might have told her off for that one). The emporer has no clothes and the people are now talking about it.

Oh if you insist:

https://mothership.sg/2022/12/ho-ching- ... -pay-rent/

https://theindependent.sg/ho-ching-rebu ... pay-taxes/
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

truthhurts1
Chatter
Chatter

Post by truthhurts1 » Wed, 28 Dec 2022 9:27 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 28 Dec 2022 1:38 am
truthhurts1 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
Thu, 22 Dec 2022 11:05 am

I just cant help but come back to your post and think how wrong you are about India.
SGDINR just hit 61.4, I saved about 80K SGD with my normal salary of 145k gross all-in salary, this year, with a family of 3.

80k SGD converts to 4.9Million INR and you could buy a nice house in a city like Bangalore for twice that amount fully paid, no loan.

So just 2 years of my savings is enough to buy a nice house in India. You are single and your salary is 180k.

It is very clear, you have some very idiosyncratic problem with India, maybe you belong to a minority community(Muslim?) I can understand why you would feel about India that way and dont want to even go there and your affinity towards Malaysia. Or may be other family problems which is why you dont even want to go and meet your family. But this is very specific problem to you and it is not a problem with India.

Property there is more expensive than in SG? I find that hard to believe...

Yes properties in good locations in Mumbai , Delhi and other first tier countries can be higher than SG.
India is expensive now

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 29 Dec 2022 2:33 am

the observer wrote:
Wed, 28 Dec 2022 10:16 am
This kept popping up in my social media.

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-econ ... ility-home
Scary, we are running out of room, and we quite literally cannot afford this. Costs are getting crazy.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 29 Dec 2022 2:33 am

In a couple days, GST is being raised to 8%, and before we know it it will be raised to 9% in 2024. We won't feel it on the small purchases put on larger ones, it really adds up.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 29 Dec 2022 2:36 am

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 28 Dec 2022 1:51 pm
Yep. The PAP loyalties are obvious now. The "true blues" missed their chance to fix this in the last few GE's and the HDB's will be ghetto land soon enough. Have you noticed how many new M-B G Wagons are on the road? That's a 500k SUV.

If you don't own a property you will be priced out now forever if middle class. HDB is facing a massive popularity crisis as questions about it's costing come up and H-C (love her, hate her) really put her foot in her mouth by stating "buying a HDB is just prepaying rent" (cant' be arsed finding the link) to which a commentator asked "why are we paying property tax" to which H-C has gone on the attack (seems daddy might have told her off for that one). The emporer has no clothes and the people are now talking about it.

Oh if you insist:

https://mothership.sg/2022/12/ho-ching- ... -pay-rent/

https://theindependent.sg/ho-ching-rebu ... pay-taxes/
Yeah, and Lamborghini Urus', Rolls-Royce and Bentley SUVs. Easily $1 million each. Sadly, you're right, property is getting further and further out of reach, which will only perpetuate inequality in the younger generation, since they will need to rely on generational wealth to have a home passed down from their parents in order to survive. Even HDBs, which are supposed to be affordable are now anything bht.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 29 Dec 2022 2:37 am

truthhurts1 wrote:
Wed, 28 Dec 2022 9:27 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 28 Dec 2022 1:38 am
truthhurts1 wrote:

Property there is more expensive than in SG? I find that hard to believe...

Yes properties in good locations in Mumbai , Delhi and other first tier countries can be higher than SG.
India is expensive now
Really! How much are we talking? And for what kind of house?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 02 Jan 2023 11:55 am

TruthHurt1 has already madeup his mind about India. When you are so biased against a country, you only see the bad things. I hope for him all the best.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 02 Jan 2023 2:19 pm

Another honest advice I wish to give TruthHurts1, you know you dont like India and you dont want to go back. Thats fine. But you also realize all you have is an Indian passport. All these years you stayed in Singapore, you are aged 43 now? You should made use of your 180k salary and saved like crazy and then bought a PR in some stable country, maybe Europe or somewhere.

What is the point of being angry at India? You should have made good use of whatever skills you were blessed with and made alternative plans.

One good thing you have done is you have hedged your bets by getting a PR girlfriend(Malaysian Citizen?) I would suggest, before it is too late, marry and try to get atleast Malaysian residency. You dont want to end up going back to the country you hate, then you need an action plan. Just applying for SG PR every year(you applied in 2021 and again in 2022?) wont help at all.

TruthHurts indeed and it is better you accept the truth. Sorry for sounding harsh, but take it as an honest assessment from a nobody/anonymous person.

All the best!

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 02 Jan 2023 2:51 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Mon, 02 Jan 2023 2:19 pm
Another honest advice I wish to give TruthHurts1, you know you dont like India and you dont want to go back. Thats fine. But you also realize all you have is an Indian passport. All these years you stayed in Singapore, you are aged 43 now? You should made use of your 180k salary and saved like crazy and then bought a PR in some stable country, maybe Europe or somewhere.

What is the point of being angry at India? You should have made good use of whatever skills you were blessed with and made alternative plans.

One good thing you have done is you have hedged your bets by getting a PR girlfriend(Malaysian Citizen?) I would suggest, before it is too late, marry and try to get atleast Malaysian residency. You dont want to end up going back to the country you hate, then you need an action plan. Just applying for SG PR every year(you applied in 2021 and again in 2022?) wont help at all.

TruthHurts indeed and it is better you accept the truth. Sorry for sounding harsh, but take it as an honest assessment from a nobody/anonymous person.

All the best!
Basically the same thing I wanted to tell him. If he's unable to convert his hatred for his own country into a chance to move out permanently, then it's probably better he gets used to the fact that he is going back - then there will be 2 options ; be bitter or learn to be comfortable with his situation.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 02 Jan 2023 5:17 pm

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 02 Jan 2023 2:51 pm

Basically the same thing I wanted to tell him. If he's unable to convert his hatred for his own country into a chance to move out permanently, then it's probably better he gets used to the fact that he is going back - then there will be 2 options ; be bitter or learn to be comfortable with his situation.
I just read your post in reply to him and you are bang on! I feel he is seriously dilusional and lives in his own make believe world rather than accepting reality. He says he came here 10 years ago. Even 10 years ago, it is impossible for him to get PR, so it is nothing new. I was rejected 1st in 2012 and I knew right then that my future here is only as long as I have my job. So, I dont know on what basis he could just keep applying for PR here hoping that he will get it one day just like a lottery ticket.

I know so many Indians who are so realistic, they came and stayed 2 years, applied PR and got rejected and they made alternate plans and they are gone from here already. I know so many Indians who got PRs here who also didnt like it here, quit and went back to either India, giving up their PR or went on to other countries. There are very very few people who got PR here after getting rejected multiple times, but in their case, there were very strong points like male child or local ties etc.

A single Indian 43 year old guy applying PR here, I think applying toto is a better use of that application money.