Singapore Expats

Financial ties while absent from SG

Discuss the different banking options, rates, offers and perks.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Financial ties while absent from SG

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 30 Oct 2022 9:12 pm

nelyanne wrote:
Sun, 30 Oct 2022 9:09 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 30 Oct 2022 8:19 pm
nelyanne wrote:
Sun, 30 Oct 2022 12:59 pm
What about generating a mobile token for 2FA? If you don't want to have token-generating apps installed on your phone, buy some old phone just for this
Can get one of those tokens that looks like a ladybug (not sure what the proper name is). That was what I used before SMS 2FA.
DBS doesn't have physical tokens anymore. Are there physical tokens for Singpass?

For SIM-only plans, there are some options below <25 SGD (I have GOMO and I like it), but I've heard that some cheap ones have a poor coverage...
I've heard Gomo is operated by Singtel, and circles by M1.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Financial ties while absent from SG

Post by malcontent » Tue, 01 Nov 2022 8:01 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 30 Oct 2022 9:11 pm
jwoods1864 wrote:
Sun, 30 Oct 2022 8:32 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
What?!?! $5??? What does it come with for that price?
2gb and like 50 mins and 30 messages lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure how I would survive with that, but I guess for the price of a plate of hokkien mee you can't complain.
I’ve been grandfathered on a long extinct corporate plan at SingTel for S$12/mo and it comes with a rich set of features: auto-roam, caller ID, voice mail, unlimited incoming, 700 mins outgoing, 500 SMS and. . . 100mb data — yes, just 100 megabytes of data!

That was enough to let me check-in/out during the pandemic, check bus timing and I have a special app called Text Browser, which allows me to google anything using only kilobytes of data. I honestly don’t need data while I’m out. I’ve got wifi at home, wifi at work, and free Wireless@SG at many other places… I’ve got more than what I need. I just switch off most all apps on my cellular connection to avoid any surprises.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr