Singapore Expats

Best gym for working adults

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Best gym for working adults

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 18 Sep 2022 12:33 am

Just wanted to share my experience at a new gym that I’ve been going to. I found out about this gym online, it’s called Ritual. The idea is that it’s a 30 minute gym, which means they have you in and out the door within a half hour. I was doubtful at first, but when I first visited, the class was only 20 minutes long yet I was completely out of breath, my adrenaline pumping and heart racing. They utilize HIIT for their workouts, which means high intensity interval training. Think a combination of weights, cardio, and strength exercises. It’s been a game changer for me, because I can no longer use my busy schedule as an excuse not to get my exercise in. What’s really awesome is that they also provide clothes which I was really surprised by as I’ve never seen this done anywhere else. I don’t have to bother prepping an extra gym bag to lug to the office, and don’t have to deal with sweaty, disgusting laundry at the end of an already exhausting workday. Has anyone else tried them?

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Best gym for working adults

Post by smoulder » Sun, 18 Sep 2022 2:20 pm

Gimmicky. There's nothing unusual about doing that exact same workout on your own. Obviously, they are good at making you believe that you can do it because of them.

By the way, too much HIIT in a week can break you down when you cross 40. It can be brutal on your joints. Not to say that it's bad, but it needs to be controlled with sufficient rest.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sun, 18 Sep 2022 2:47 pm

To address the statement "best gym for working adults". It really depends on what your fitness goals are. Secondly, whatever your goals are, chances are it's not about the gym itself, but your mindset - any goal can be met with or without a gym membership, regardless of how busy you are, if you have the right mindset.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 18 Sep 2022 9:28 pm

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 18 Sep 2022 2:20 pm
Gimmicky. There's nothing unusual about doing that exact same workout on your own. Obviously, they are good at making you believe that you can do it because of them.

By the way, too much HIIT in a week can break you down when you cross 40. It can be brutal on your joints. Not to say that it's bad, but it needs to be controlled with sufficient rest.
Oh my! I’m feeling pretty good for now, but then again I’ve only been working out here for a couple weeks. As far as gimmicks go, I can see why you might think that but I really do believe it’s one of the better gyms. No upselling, no BS. I always struggle with having the discipline to keep with a gym, but they make it almost impossible to skip a session. So of course it’s not for everyone, but it’s pretty great imo.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 18 Sep 2022 9:30 pm

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 18 Sep 2022 2:47 pm
To address the statement "best gym for working adults". It really depends on what your fitness goals are. Secondly, whatever your goals are, chances are it's not about the gym itself, but your mindset - any goal can be met with or without a gym membership, regardless of how busy you are, if you have the right mindset.
I guess then a more apt topic title would have been “best gym for undisciplined working adults” like me. I’m DEFINITELY nowhere near as fit as you are, and by the sounds of it, nowhere near as disciplined, so this is a great option for me.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sun, 18 Sep 2022 11:10 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 18 Sep 2022 12:33 am
Just wanted to share my experience at a new gym that I’ve been going to. I found out about this gym online, it’s called Ritual. The idea is that it’s a 30 minute gym, which means they have you in and out the door within a half hour. I was doubtful at first, but when I first visited, the class was only 20 minutes long yet I was completely out of breath, my adrenaline pumping and heart racing. They utilize HIIT for their workouts, which means high intensity interval training. Think a combination of weights, cardio, and strength exercises. It’s been a game changer for me, because I can no longer use my busy schedule as an excuse not to get my exercise in. What’s really awesome is that they also provide clothes which I was really surprised by as I’ve never seen this done anywhere else. I don’t have to bother prepping an extra gym bag to lug to the office, and don’t have to deal with sweaty, disgusting laundry at the end of an already exhausting workday. Has anyone else tried them?
Being cooped up at home during covid lockdowns these past few years, I started doing regular HIIT routines at home. I try to do it a minimum of 3x per week. As you said, it only takes 20 mins. The only equipment I use is an exercise mat and YouTube videos from fitness blender. It’s primarily a husband and wife team, and they have almost 1,000 videos. After trying many different ones, I finally found one that is best for me and I just modify a few aspects to get a total body workout. I typically do it just before lunch when I’m working from home, which is still most days of the week.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 20 Sep 2022 2:59 am

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 18 Sep 2022 11:10 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Being cooped up at home during covid lockdowns these past few years, I started doing regular HIIT routines at home. I try to do it a minimum of 3x per week. As you said, it only takes 20 mins. The only equipment I use is an exercise mat and YouTube videos from fitness blender. It’s primarily a husband and wife team, and they have almost 1,000 videos. After trying many different ones, I finally found one that is best for me and I just modify a few aspects to get a total body workout. I typically do it just before lunch when I’m working from home, which is still most days of the week.
Have you found it to be effective?

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 20 Sep 2022 12:45 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 20 Sep 2022 2:59 am
malcontent wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
Very.

But in the first 6 months or so I tore my shoulder cuff which took a few months and a lot of stretches to get back to normal. If you are middle aged like me, you really have to build yourself up to HIIT. You can seriously damage your joints if your muscles aren’t toned for this.

My advice is to be patient, do the beginner and low-impact videos on the channel for a few months, and then ramp up to HIIT slowly over a few more months. Don’t rush it.

And remember, first and foremost — it is more about building your discipline to actually “do exercise regularly” that is far more important than the exercise itself. I’ve stuck with this for at least 3 years already. Even when I travel somewhere I still do some limited things like push ups, no matter where I am — to keep my psychological discipline ingrained.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 20 Sep 2022 12:49 pm

Mal - I have been lifting and doing HIIT and another variant of high intensity cardio (bar complexes, you can look these up) plus jogging for over 20 years with few gaps in between. I'm 42. This is what I was alluding to - high intensity stuff can be brutal. It's easy to go overboard even when you are well trained.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 20 Sep 2022 11:22 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 20 Sep 2022 12:45 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 20 Sep 2022 2:59 am
malcontent wrote:

Very.

But in the first 6 months or so I tore my shoulder cuff which took a few months and a lot of stretches to get back to normal. If you are middle aged like me, you really have to build yourself up to HIIT. You can seriously damage your joints if your muscles aren’t toned for this.

My advice is to be patient, do the beginner and low-impact videos on the channel for a few months, and then ramp up to HIIT slowly over a few more months. Don’t rush it.

And remember, first and foremost — it is more about building your discipline to actually “do exercise regularly” that is far more important than the exercise itself. I’ve stuck with this for at least 3 years already. Even when I travel somewhere I still do some limited things like push ups, no matter where I am — to keep my psychological discipline ingrained.
Three years, you must be pretty fit by now! I’ve always made it a point to get my exercise in, but for the longest time it wasn’t at a gym. Just daily evening walks to get my steps in, I’d walk around the estate, listening to a podcast until I hit at least 10 or 12,000 steps.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 20 Sep 2022 11:22 pm

smoulder wrote:
Tue, 20 Sep 2022 12:49 pm
Mal - I have been lifting and doing HIIT and another variant of high intensity cardio (bar complexes, you can look these up) plus jogging for over 20 years with few gaps in between. I'm 42. This is what I was alluding to - high intensity stuff can be brutal. It's easy to go overboard even when you are well trained.
Yeah, you’re definitely right. There’ve been days when I pushed myself too hard and couldn’t get out of bed the following day, really made me feel old!

YYCole
Regular
Regular

Post by YYCole » Sat, 03 Dec 2022 3:54 pm

Ii visited Gravity recently, its at capitalgreen. They offered something that i dont see often in other gym, clothes ironing services! (so for working adults around the area who hates ironing, can go there to work out, pass the work clothes to them to iron and go to work post workout with a freshly pressed clothes!)

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Sat, 03 Dec 2022 4:02 pm

Anyone visits Virgin Active? I like the decor..the vibes it gives, clean and modern.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

YYCole
Regular
Regular

Post by YYCole » Sun, 11 Dec 2022 8:51 pm

abbby wrote:
Sat, 03 Dec 2022 4:02 pm
Anyone visits Virgin Active? I like the decor..the vibes it gives, clean and modern.
I used to go there 8 years ago. Like the sleeping area and it used to be one of the top end gym in singapore (only had one outlet years ago, Raffles place one). Paid a premium for it, but find the classes worth it (if you actually spend time going to the classes)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 16 Dec 2022 1:16 am

YYCole wrote:
Sat, 03 Dec 2022 3:54 pm
Ii visited Gravity recently, its at capitalgreen. They offered something that i dont see often in other gym, clothes ironing services! (so for working adults around the area who hates ironing, can go there to work out, pass the work clothes to them to iron and go to work post workout with a freshly pressed clothes!)
So interesting! How are the prices? Do they do classes or is it just a gym where you work out on your own?