Singapore Expats

Ignoring ICA on citizenship

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
AWong63

Ignoring ICA on citizenship

Post by AWong63 » Tue, 06 Sep 2022 1:16 pm

I have a cousin who has dual citizenship in Canada. ICA found out recently and has given the 3-month deadline. He has asked for a deadline extension and cited divorce as the reason but ICA seems to not be giving a response at all. When questioned, ICA sends back an email saying that the request is still pending. Now he asked for an extension in the middle of August and the deadline is on September 15. Since there is no response as of today yet, I assume that ICA is simply rejecting him?

My cousin is hopeful they will grant him the extension last minute. Is still a chance of the extension being granted?

He seems reluctant to do anything, not even to renounce his Singapore citizenship. So my question is does anyone know of the consequences of ignoring the deadline? What happens to his cpf if my cousin does not renounce cleanly?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Ignoring ICA on citizenship

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 06 Sep 2022 1:43 pm

AWong63 wrote:
Tue, 06 Sep 2022 1:16 pm
I have a cousin who has dual citizenship in Canada. ICA found out recently and has given the 3-month deadline. He has asked for a deadline extension and cited divorce as the reason but ICA seems to not be giving a response at all. When questioned, ICA sends back an email saying that the request is still pending. Now he asked for an extension in the middle of August and the deadline is on September 15. Since there is no response as of today yet, I assume that ICA is simply rejecting him?

My cousin is hopeful they will grant him the extension last minute. Is still a chance of the extension being granted?

He seems reluctant to do anything, not even to renounce his Singapore citizenship. So my question is does anyone know of the consequences of ignoring the deadline? What happens to his cpf if my cousin does not renounce cleanly?
Only ICA can answer this. Why not follow the deadline and make a decision? what is stopping? Want benefits from both the countries?

AWong63

Post by AWong63 » Tue, 06 Sep 2022 2:02 pm

Honestly I have no idea. My cousin is bit of a narcissist. I have advised him several time to make a decision but he isn’t doing anything.

My belief is that he does not think Singapore will do it to him. There’s nothing really holding him to Canada; he states his family but I know his children have gone low contact with him.

But the cpf is important to him especially so I’m a bit worried his not renouncing properly could withhold it.

I only hope for his sake that an extension does get approved for him.

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Post by jalanjalan » Tue, 06 Sep 2022 2:05 pm

It is unwise to ignore ICA deadlines. He can send them an email - they reply pretty quickly. CPF is another matter, check the FAQs on CPF website, which cover what happens if you renounce citizenship.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Sep 2022 5:30 pm

AWong63 wrote:
He should know that Singapore will go out of its way to make examples of people who like to throw dirt. It's going to be an expensive mistake if he ignores it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AWong63

Post by AWong63 » Wed, 07 Sep 2022 1:33 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 06 Sep 2022 5:30 pm
AWong63 wrote:
He should know that Singapore will go out of its way to make examples of people who like to throw dirt. It's going to be an expensive mistake if he ignores it.
I’ll inform my cousin of that. Thanks!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 10 Sep 2022 4:22 pm

Here's the thing. What ICA are "trying" to do is force your cousin into making a move that they can use against him and secondly attempting to build enough evidence to strip him of his SC (they cannot do it unilaterally as Singapore is a partner to the convention of statelessness - Singapore NEEDS to prove that your cousin would not be stateless if they remove his SC). I would continue to ignore them. I say this with some experience as friends have had similar issues and they basically ignore ICA but ALSO do not admit to having a second citizenship. ANY response will be used to build a case. There is no apparent criminal penalty in law for being a dual citizen except that your cousin (if he engages incorrectly with ICA) may end up being charged with perjury or other offenses.

1. CPF - it will be fine. He will have difficulties getting online access as his SingPass will not work once he has lost citizenship. If he wishes to withdraw it then he does need to renounce his SC. IF there are "outstanding issues with CMPB" that will stop his renunciation happening.

2. Your cousin has no risk to his Canadian citizenship. To get a clean break with ICA what might make sense is seeing if he can renounce his CC and then reclaim it again once ICA are satisfied he is not a SC?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Post by jalanjalan » Sat, 10 Sep 2022 6:40 pm

Singapore isn't a party to the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness. UNHCR has made "recommendations" about this not too long ago.
Deprivation of citizenship is covered under the Singapore Constitution, see section 134 on "Deprivation of citizenship on acquisition of foreign citizenship".

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 10 Sep 2022 9:30 pm

My daughter was close to being stateless. Being born in Singapore got her nothing. Being born to an Indonesian mother in 2005 also got her nothing (the law since changed, so my son born in 2008 could get citizenship from his mother).

Being born to one US citizen parent was her only hope of getting any citizenship, but ONLY if the US citizen parent could prove they lived in the US for a certain number of years and past a certain age. Fortunately I could!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 27 Sep 2022 2:09 am

malcontent wrote:My daughter was close to being stateless. Being born in Singapore got her nothing. Being born to an Indonesian mother in 2005 also got her nothing (the law since changed, so my son born in 2008 could get citizenship from his mother).

Being born to one US citizen parent was her only hope of getting any citizenship, but ONLY if the US citizen parent could prove they lived in the US for a certain number of years and past a certain age. Fortunately I could!
Out of curiosity, if you had not fulfilled the residency requirements, what would’ve happened to her?

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 28 Sep 2022 12:30 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 27 Sep 2022 2:09 am
malcontent wrote:My daughter was close to being stateless. Being born in Singapore got her nothing. Being born to an Indonesian mother in 2005 also got her nothing (the law since changed, so my son born in 2008 could get citizenship from his mother).

Out of curiosity, if you had not fulfilled the residency requirements, what would’ve happened to her?
Stateless.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 28 Sep 2022 12:33 am

malcontent wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

Stateless.
Right, but what does that entail? And would there be no way to for her to acquire citizenship?

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 28 Sep 2022 1:23 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 28 Sep 2022 12:33 am
malcontent wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

Stateless.
Right, but what does that entail? And would there be no way to for her to acquire citizenship?
There are quite a few stateless people living in Singapore, they have an IC but no REP so they are stuck, and it seems like the prevailing PR criteria applies… no special treatment when they apply. Thus, many remain stateless, and in limbo.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Sep 2022 5:27 pm

Some of these Stateless persons here have been in the papers in recent years due to the impossible position the government puts them in.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 28 Sep 2022 9:28 pm

malcontent wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 28 Sep 2022 12:33 am
malcontent wrote: Stateless.
There are quite a few stateless people living in Singapore, they have an IC but no REP so they are stuck, and it seems like the prevailing PR criteria applies… no special treatment when they apply. Thus, many remain stateless, and in limbo.
If I was more naive I’d say this seems like a legal flaw gone unnoticed.