Singapore Expats

Geo-restricted iPhone apps

Announcements, promotions, news, help. Ask about registrations, avatars, PM and others. Post all your forum and Singapore Expats site related questions here.
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Geo-restricted iPhone apps

Post by malcontent » Sun, 04 Sep 2022 1:14 pm

In the Apple app store I am seeing more and more apps being geo-restricted. Last time I could at least get updates on apps that I downloaded that were newly restricted, but now I can’t even do that in some cases.

Ez-link is the latest one. I can’t even get updated… and it won’t let me use the app without updating it, so I’m stuck!

Geo-fencing is so annoying. Does anyone know of any ways around it, WITHOUT switching countries on your phone? If I switch, then I will be restricted on other apps which I use from other countries… ugh… I need a way to side-load apps or something!
Attachments
CC7F6790-5412-4A57-8E06-0E0C1F0823EA.jpeg
by malcontent » Sun, 04 Sep 2022 11:12 pm
After some research and tinkering, I think I can answer my own question.

The country change settings have been simplified for newer iOS versions, so you no longer have to change your phone settings and your iTunes account settings — only iTunes account, and that does the trick. I’m the App Store, you click on yourself and go into your profile settings and find country, change it in there and all that is needed is to agree to the terms, add your address and phone, that is about it. All in all, it’s a 1-2 minute job to change, and another 1-2 minute job to change back. That is much improved compared to last time.
Go to full post
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Re: Geo-restricted iPhone apps

Post by malcontent » Sun, 04 Sep 2022 11:12 pm

The country change settings have been simplified for newer iOS versions, so you no longer have to change your phone settings and your iTunes account settings — only iTunes account, and that does the trick. I’m the App Store, you click on yourself and go into your profile settings and find country, change it in there and all that is needed is to agree to the terms, add your address and phone, that is about it. All in all, it’s a 1-2 minute job to change, and another 1-2 minute job to change back. That is much improved compared to last time.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

omshastry

Post by omshastry » Thu, 24 Nov 2022 2:47 pm

Stumbled on this searching for a similar topic. I believe the below would mess with your existing subscriptions and family sharing settings? Is there any way to getting around this without such issues?
malcontent wrote:
Sun, 04 Sep 2022 11:12 pm

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 24 Nov 2022 9:06 pm

omshastry wrote:
Thu, 24 Nov 2022 2:47 pm
Stumbled on this searching for a similar topic. I believe the below would mess with your existing subscriptions and family sharing settings? Is there any way to getting around this without such issues?
malcontent wrote:
Sun, 04 Sep 2022 11:12 pm

If you have a spouse, you can set one phone to your home country and the other to local. I have found that to work well in some instances.

omshastry

Post by omshastry » Thu, 24 Nov 2022 10:34 pm

Thanks, let me try. I and wife share the iCloud plan and other subscriptions. So need to make sure we don’t lose that if we change our phones to different countries. I recall reading on Apple Support that you can’t have family sharing on across two/more countries. But let me try.
malcontent wrote:
Thu, 24 Nov 2022 9:06 pm

If you have a spouse, you can set one phone to your home country and the other to local. I have found that to work well in some instances.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 25 Nov 2022 1:35 am

omshastry wrote:
Thu, 24 Nov 2022 10:34 pm
Thanks, let me try. I and wife share the iCloud plan and other subscriptions. So need to make sure we don’t lose that if we change our phones to different countries. I recall reading on Apple Support that you can’t have family sharing on across two/more countries. But let me try.
malcontent wrote:

I think that is true. If you want to share paid apps or subscriptions within your family, it is likely to get cut off once they switch countries, almost certainly if that app or sub is not available in the other country. It’s a mess for international families. I am just glad iOS allows me to stay in the US even when my IP address says otherwise. Android is not as kind.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Nov 2022 1:53 am

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 04 Sep 2022 1:14 pm
In the Apple app store I am seeing more and more apps being geo-restricted. Last time I could at least get updates on apps that I downloaded that were newly restricted, but now I can’t even do that in some cases.

Ez-link is the latest one. I can’t even get updated… and it won’t let me use the app without updating it, so I’m stuck!

Geo-fencing is so annoying. Does anyone know of any ways around it, WITHOUT switching countries on your phone? If I switch, then I will be restricted on other apps which I use from other countries… ugh… I need a way to side-load apps or something!
Does a VPN help?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Nov 2022 1:55 am

omshastry wrote:
Thu, 24 Nov 2022 10:34 pm
malcontent wrote:

Same here, we use it for Apple Music especially. Having the phones set to different regions would defeat the purpose as one of us would no longer be able to access the account.

omshastry

Post by omshastry » Fri, 25 Nov 2022 8:34 am

No it doesn’t. Because Apple’s App Store doesn’t work based on your location (which you could fake using the VPN) but based on the country of your iTunes payment account.
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 25 Nov 2022 1:53 am

Does a VPN help?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 26 Nov 2022 12:02 am

omshastry wrote:
Fri, 25 Nov 2022 8:34 am
No it doesn’t. Because Apple’s App Store doesn’t work based on your location (which you could fake using the VPN) but based on the country of your iTunes payment account.
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 25 Nov 2022 1:53 am

Does a VPN help?
I see. In the past, I bought my iPhones back in the US as they are cheaper there, and got the universal unlocked version. Was able to use the singapore App Store with no problem though, so I'm a little confused on that.

Swn4
Regular
Regular

Post by Swn4 » Sat, 26 Nov 2022 12:53 am

malcontent wrote:In the Apple app store I am seeing more and more apps being geo-restricted. Last time I could at least get updates on apps that I downloaded that were newly restricted, but now I can’t even do that in some cases.

You can have apps downloaded from multiple accounts on the same apple device. So create accounts using different email account for different country’s iTunes stores. You just need to use an address in that country.
To access, just go to Settings/Apple ID/Media & purchases/ and login & out as needed. I keep to US and only use SG or UK when I need to update or add an app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 26 Nov 2022 10:48 pm

Swn4 wrote:
Sat, 26 Nov 2022 12:53 am
malcontent wrote:In the Apple app store I am seeing more and more apps being geo-restricted. Last time I could at least get updates on apps that I downloaded that were newly restricted, but now I can’t even do that in some cases.

You can have apps downloaded from multiple accounts on the same apple device. So create accounts using different email account for different country’s iTunes stores. You just need to use an address in that country.
To access, just go to Settings/Apple ID/Media & purchases/ and login & out as needed. I keep to US and only use SG or UK when I need to update or add an app.

So create multiple apple IDs? Doesn't that make it confusing to locate/store info?

Swn4
Regular
Regular

Post by Swn4 » Sat, 26 Nov 2022 11:33 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Swn4 wrote:
Sat, 26 Nov 2022 12:53 am

So create multiple apple IDs? Doesn't that make it confusing to locate/store info?
Not that I notice. After downloading from the relevant country’s app store, the apps work fine when I signed in my preferred country app store. F

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 30 Nov 2022 1:54 am

We'll give it a shot, though I wouldn't be surprised if everything went berserk as all three of us use family sharing.

Nhacchuongbaothuc39

Post by Nhacchuongbaothuc39 » Fri, 23 Feb 2024 3:05 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 04 Sep 2022 1:14 pm

To bypass geo-restrictions on the Apple App Store without changing your device's country setting:

Use a VPN.
Create a new Apple ID for the desired region.
Ask someone in the app's region to share it via Family Sharing.
Contact app support for assistance.
Look for alternate app sources, but be cautious.