Singapore Expats

Victim of scam

Discuss the different banking options, rates, offers and perks.
mistique2020

Victim of scam

Post by mistique2020 » Thu, 01 Sep 2022 9:49 pm

Hi
I was recently a victim of online scam whereby i transferred money to a person who was pretending to be a law enforcement person
post i realized i was scammed, i reported this to police however was surprised that IO has frozen my account which my bank informed me . Only realised since i was not able to login and after multiple follow-up came to know about it. Is it normal that a victim account is frozen till investigation is going on?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Victim of scam

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 01 Sep 2022 10:31 pm

Be damn glad that they. Obviously you weren't smart enough to call the bank and ask them to freeze it as soon as you knew you had be scammed. They are just trying to keep you from losing more money to the scammers.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

mistique2020

Post by mistique2020 » Thu, 01 Sep 2022 10:36 pm

understand my mistake :( can i still check if its normal for victim bank account to be frozen like this?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 01 Sep 2022 11:22 pm

Don't you think calling either the Bank or Police post would make a bit more sense? We are neither.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

mistique2020

Post by mistique2020 » Thu, 01 Sep 2022 11:41 pm

dont think you have read my post properly. I called bank and reported it while i also called police myself and informed it. I was confused why my account has been frozen. I am just asking people here if anyone has gone through online scam reporting experience. Would love to hear what usually happens

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Fri, 02 Sep 2022 1:27 am

You need to contact your bank to find out.

Even if someone has gone through a similar experience, bank policies can vary.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Fri, 02 Sep 2022 11:15 am

Did your account get frozen after you reported the scam to the police? or was it before?

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Fri, 02 Sep 2022 7:14 pm

mistique2020 wrote:
Thu, 01 Sep 2022 11:41 pm
dont think you have read my post properly. I called bank and reported it while i also called police myself and informed it. I was confused why my account has been frozen. I am just asking people here if anyone has gone through online scam reporting experience. Would love to hear what usually happens
Actually your English is not clear so don't blame people if they misunderstand you.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 03 Sep 2022 4:30 pm

It's common for accounts to be frozen like this during these investigations as you said by the IO {investigating officer} or if the bank has detected fraud. It may never be unlocked or take a long time to be unlocked. You'll need a new bank account. The police need to unwind the entire mess along with the bank to work out who is the legitimate owner of the funds.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!