Singapore Expats

Open saving account for salary

Discuss the different banking options, rates, offers and perks.
dnutron

Open saving account for salary

Post by dnutron » Thu, 01 Sep 2022 7:07 am

Hi expats. I’m relocating to SG for work this November but i have questions in mind.

While getting my EP approved, I would need a bank account for my employer to cash in salary. But looking through Maybank, UOB and etc banks, they all required proof of residence which I do not have until November.

How did you guys create an account?

Side question: how did you pay your owner for renting a house/room in your currency/SGD the first month + deposit?

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Open saving account for salary

Post by smoulder » Thu, 01 Sep 2022 8:15 am

I used my office address. Worked out fine for DBS back in 2013

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 01 Sep 2022 9:43 am

dnutron wrote:
Thu, 01 Sep 2022 7:07 am
Hi expats. I’m relocating to SG for work this November but i have questions in mind.

While getting my EP approved, I would need a bank account for my employer to cash in salary. But looking through Maybank, UOB and etc banks, they all required proof of residence which I do not have until November.

Side question: how did you pay your owner for renting a house/room in your currency/SGD the first month + deposit?
You should not need a bank account before your EP is approved. Any bank will at least need to see your IPA letter.

Ask your employer, but I believe it might not as urgent as you think — it can usually wait until you have boots on the ground here.

Maybank is not very expat friendly unless you are Malaysian.

UOB has the most red tape among the 3 local banks. OCBC is a little more fast and loose, but if you have your ducks in a row, I’d recommend DBS which is the more straight laced of the 3.

Landlords used to receive checks or cash, but nowadays electronic transfer is preferred. Since you don’t have a local account, you can just send the transfer via Wise.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

dnutron

Post by dnutron » Fri, 02 Sep 2022 5:08 am

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 01 Sep 2022 9:43 am
[quote=dnutron post_id=871609 time=<a href="tel:1661987249">1661987249</a> user_id=454649]

You should not need a bank account before your EP is approved. Any bank will at least need to see your IPA letter.

Ask your employer, but I believe it might not as urgent as you think — it can usually wait until you have boots on the ground here.

Maybank is not very expat friendly unless you are Malaysian.

UOB has the most red tape among the 3 local banks. OCBC is a little more fast and loose, but if you have your ducks in a row, I’d recommend DBS which is the more straight laced of the 3.

Landlords used to receive checks or cash, but nowadays electronic transfer is preferred. Since you don’t have a local account, you can just send the transfer via Wise.
[/quote]

Looks like you have provided informations that I need. Thanks sir.