Singapore Expats

How is work life balance in ByteDance in Singapore ?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
myquestionsg

How is work life balance in ByteDance in Singapore ?

Post by myquestionsg » Tue, 30 Aug 2022 2:56 pm

I recently got an offer in ByteDance in Singapore. I was excited in the beginning but then I read about people working in 996 (9am to 9pm for 6days a week) I am really worried now. I understand that it is in China and the offer I got is in Singapore, it would be great if anyone can give me some insights on work life balance in ByteDance Singapore.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: How is work life balance in ByteDance in Singapore ?

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 30 Aug 2022 3:06 pm

Approved but stay on topic and avoid libel. Mod.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ninox

Post by ninox » Mon, 09 Jan 2023 1:59 am

I was going to leave this unanswered because it's 5 months ago and OP has likely made their decision, but for the sake of others searching for this topic: 996 is an unofficial minimum for my team. One of my managers explicitly stated during onboarding that the work culture in SG is "not at the same level as China", presumably to assuage these kinds of fears. For my team, this means it is never spoken aloud, but everyone is working minimum 12 hour days and knows it is expected. This situation is created by ensuring people are assigned more work than can be delivered in a reasonable timeframe and asking why things are delayed when impossible deadlines are not met.

Good luck OP if you decided to join, and welcome.

fonsiescu

Post by fonsiescu » Thu, 19 Jan 2023 12:32 pm

ninox wrote:
Mon, 09 Jan 2023 1:59 am
I was going to leave this unanswered because it's 5 months ago and OP has likely made their decision, but for the sake of others searching for this topic: 996 is an unofficial minimum for my team. One of my managers explicitly stated during onboarding that the work culture in SG is "not at the same level as China", presumably to assuage these kinds of fears. For my team, this means it is never spoken aloud, but everyone is working minimum 12 hour days and knows it is expected. This situation is created by ensuring people are assigned more work than can be delivered in a reasonable timeframe and asking why things are delayed when impossible deadlines are not met.

Wow, did you know before joining? Do they fire those that try to work 8-9 hours?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 21 Jan 2023 1:17 am

ninox wrote:

Goodness, sounds awful. And very contradictory to the more relaxed approach that most companies are adopting nowadays: encouraging flexible work arrangements and mental health days.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 21 Jan 2023 1:20 am

fonsiescu wrote:
Thu, 19 Jan 2023 12:32 pm
ninox wrote:

Wow, did you know before joining? Do they fire those that try to work 8-9 hours?
https://youtu.be/qILMixQYSy4

I watched this video a while back, made by an ex employee who left bytedance after just 4 months at the company. A big reason she cited for leaving was that employees are expected to be on call all day, through apps that micromanage them. They're expected to respond to instant messages, and be ready to hop on calls any time which disrupts the workflow and prevents them from concentrating and getting work done.