Singapore Expats

Is it legal to work in Singapore and Japan, different company?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
diman

Is it legal to work in Singapore and Japan, different company?

Post by diman » Fri, 26 Aug 2022 10:52 am

I'm currently working in a startup in Singapore for about 4 years but I'm still under employment pass.
I just received a lucrative offer in Japan and wondering about the possibility of working two jobs.

Help me to understand if this is legal and possible scenario where I'm going to get in trouble by the immigration and IRAS of Singapore. Here is my plan:

Situation:
  • I have both workpass visa in Singapore and (soon) Japan
  • Both employer in Singapore and Japan don't know each other. Also they are not connected at all.
  • My work nature is mostly work from home. I'm a data scientists.
  • I'll stay in Singapore for 183 days and Japan for 182 days. Alternating between 2 months.
  • I'm capable handling two jobs in a day and can work 2x productivity, assume both employers in SG and Japan won't have clash meetings too.
  • I'll pay tax to both Japan and Singapore for each respective job

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Re: Is it legal to work in Singapore and Japan, different company?

Post by nelyanne » Fri, 26 Aug 2022 12:59 pm

You might need a tax advisor with a deep knowledge in Double Tax Avoidance Agreement...

See this page:
https://www.corporateservices.com/singa ... #residency

My guess would be, paying taxes in both countries won't work. If you are a tax resident in SG, you can pay tax for your total income only in Sg. That's the benefit of the JP-SG agreement. You need to ensure that your Japanese employer has no presence in Singapore (otherwise, you'll need an EP to work for them). But maybe I'm wrong and someone could correct me.

diman

Post by diman » Fri, 26 Aug 2022 1:50 pm

I see. My Japan employer does have presence in Singapore it turns out, but they didn't hire data analyst in Singapore. That's why the want to relocate me to Japan.

I guess you're right. I need a tax advisor to help me on double tax avoidance agreement. But how likely is it to get caught working in two countries and paying two taxes?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 26 Aug 2022 5:45 pm

I'd check whether for the Japan job you could do it on a contract basis rather than a standard employment contract.

BTW well done on doing two jobs at once. I also do it but as a PR it is easier. How many do you think you could handle? I'm thinking of going for a third one.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

diman

Post by diman » Fri, 26 Aug 2022 8:28 pm

Haha I think two jobs are quite difficult. I need to be even more productive to handle three. Thanks for the advise btw.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 27 Aug 2022 12:06 am

PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 26 Aug 2022 5:45 pm
I'd check whether for the Japan job you could do it on a contract basis rather than a standard employment contract.

BTW well done on doing two jobs at once. I also do it but as a PR it is easier. How many do you think you could handle? I'm thinking of going for a third one.
Seriously? On a freelance basis or?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 27 Aug 2022 3:42 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 27 Aug 2022 12:06 am
PNGMK wrote:

Contract. Payment for delivery. I'm part of the new wave of people realising they can do multiple jobs at once
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 28 Aug 2022 2:36 am

PNGMK wrote:
Sat, 27 Aug 2022 3:42 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 27 Aug 2022 12:06 am
PNGMK wrote:

Contract. Payment for delivery. I'm part of the new wave of people realising they can do multiple jobs at once
There are certain careers that are so time-consuming that this wouldn’t be possible, but if you’re not something so specialized like a doctor or lawyer then this is absolutely possible. It’s all about good time management, and I do imagine your bank account thanks you.