Singapore Expats

Looking for advice on applying for jobs in SG as a foreigner

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
nuhash

Looking for advice on applying for jobs in SG as a foreigner

Post by nuhash » Sat, 13 Aug 2022 9:16 pm

Hi,

I am a 28 year old finishing up my PhD in Computer Science/Machine Learning in the UK in the next few months and I want to start getting stuff together in order to apply for jobs in Singapore. My SO is a SG citizen and has been working there for a year whilst I finished up my studies, hence why I am moving over. We can't use the dependent pass so I need to find a job.

Aside from my PhD, my undergraduate was in Mechanical Engineering, I have a few years of relevant industry experience and have held a multi-disciplinary management role in a charity.

I'm looking for jobs in and around the tech field, I don't have anything specific in mind but looking at average salaries I should be safe to qualify for an S pass at the very least. I am open to other sectors as well but I am more familiar with tech.

There are a few things I'm not sure and I'm hoping I can get some advice:
How do I find job postings that are open to foreigners?
Would I have a much better chance of finding a job if I applied whilst in SG?
How long can I expect the admin stuff to take? (Just for understanding timelines)

Thanks in advance.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Looking for advice on applying for jobs in SG as a foreigner

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Aug 2022 10:51 pm

Why don't you just get married and then you can get an LTVP based on your local SO if (unsure of the pronoun to use) is SGC. :-k Other than that, you will be hard pressed to find a job here unless you have heaps of experience (e.g. 5~10 years in the industry you are trying to enter. Even then it's going to be virtually impossibly unless you get transferred to SG from your company in the UK (Now days EP or S passes are rather difficult to obtain (S passes not too bad but generally only S.E.Asians obtain them). Westerners are expected to have more experience and therefore a higher salary and qualifying for an EP. You can try, but don't bust the bank trying to find one.

If you were lucky enough to get a job offer and the MOM saw fit to allow you get have a pass (two stage process), it would take anywhere from say 5 workdays to 6 weeks from job offer to in principle approval (IPA) for the work pass. Finding that elusive job offer is going to be the problem. LinkedIn is probably your best bet for job searches but you are going to need a lot more than a pinch of luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nuhash

Post by nuhash » Sun, 14 Aug 2022 5:35 am

I did suggest doing ROM and then an LTVP but she didn't believe the job market was that bad for a CompSci PhD. She doesn't know anyone who has had to go through the process of a work pass so I can see why she thinks that. I'll discuss it again. For reference, I'm ethnically Asian and wouldn't stand out in SG (The ICA staff always assume I'm an SGC) not sure if that helps my chances.

Is the problem really just companies not wanting to deal with the uncertainty of MOM giving an IPA? There are not that many people with PhDs in my field and there certainly won't be many in SG on any given day. If companies need someone with my qualifications, statistically they'd have to hire from outside.

I don't mean to be rude, I'm just trying to understand things.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Aug 2022 2:05 pm

Does she know anybody who has done it in the past 2.5 years successfully?

If you are SGC, then you are already quite familiar with the way the government uses work passes, PR and moveable goalposts here to accomplish what they want but do not reveal to the public.

MOM rarely approves anybody from outside with only paper qualifications. the PhD while impressive, without any accomplishments to go with the sheepskin, it's virtually worth nothing to ICA or MOM (in fact it is not in any of the requirements for any work pass. It's theoretically valuable in the eyes of the potential employer only. But again. Singapore is what it is. There are probably plenty here with similar qualifications but from South Asia.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rosedream

Post by rosedream » Sun, 14 Aug 2022 3:15 pm

You can just start applying any jobs you find attractive to u. U can go on Indeed, Jobstreet, Monster SG, Linkedin. If they are only open to locals, they would usually mention it in the listing. Or if you're asked to sign in with Singpass then you can just pass that job listing. MNCs are usually keen to sponsor passes to foreigners esp if you have specific skillsets.
Admin stuff takes 1month from 2-3months depending on how urgent it is for the company to get a new hire, how big the company is, how fast your pass gets approved. Bigger companies take longer hiring process esp for you since you might quality for an E-Pass as well as a higher position. You can read up how long MOM takes to process S Pass and E Pass on their website.
I would say there could be a relatively high chance since you're a PHd in tech. If you have some free cash to spare, I guess you can come to SG and look for a job but it won't make that much of a difference with you applying from overseas. You should only consider marriage and LTVP as your last resort as LTVP is subject to approval. Your partner needs a high salary for you to get LTVP. Good luck.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sun, 14 Aug 2022 4:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 14 Aug 2022 2:05 pm
Does she know anybody who has done it in the past 2.5 years successfully?

If you are SGC, then you are already quite familiar with the way the government uses work passes, PR and moveable goalposts here to accomplish what they want but do not reveal to the public.

MOM rarely approves anybody from outside with only paper qualifications. the PhD while impressive, without any accomplishments to go with the sheepskin, it's virtually worth nothing to ICA or MOM (in fact it is not in any of the requirements for any work pass. It's theoretically valuable in the eyes of the potential employer only. But again. Singapore is what it is. There are probably plenty here with similar qualifications but from South Asia.
Indeed. AND with at least 5 to 10 years of relevant experience gained from the vast IT services industry back in South Asia.

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Post by nelyanne » Sun, 14 Aug 2022 6:57 pm

Try talking to agency recruiters. They know which offers from their customers are open to foreigners and which are not. It's almost never stated openly in the job offer itself. (I saw only one job opening where the employer was desperate enough to put 'WILL SPONSOR VISA' in the title ;))

Do you have any industry experience in ML field?

jwoods1864
Regular
Regular

Post by jwoods1864 » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 3:35 pm

rosedream wrote:You can just start applying any jobs you find attractive to u. U can go on Indeed, Jobstreet, Monster SG, Linkedin. If they are only open to locals, they would usually mention it in the listing. Or if you're asked to sign in with Singpass then you can just pass that job listing. MNCs are usually keen to sponsor passes to foreigners esp if you have specific skillsets.
Admin stuff takes 1month from 2-3months depending on how urgent it is for the company to get a new hire, how big the company is, how fast your pass gets approved. Bigger companies take longer hiring process esp for you since you might quality for an E-Pass as well as a higher position. You can read up how long MOM takes to process S Pass and E Pass on their website.
I would say there could be a relatively high chance since you're a PHd in tech. If you have some free cash to spare, I guess you can come to SG and look for a job but it won't make that much of a difference with you applying from overseas. You should only consider marriage and LTVP as your last resort as LTVP is subject to approval. Your partner needs a high salary for you to get LTVP. Good luck.
What is considered a ‘high salary’ and is that always the case?
My partner is a PR nurse and may be sponsoring me for LTVP soon! I also worked in the education sector in Singapore from 2017-21….but not sure if that makes a difference or not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 5:42 pm

jwoods1864 wrote:
Mon, 15 Aug 2022 3:35 pm
rosedream wrote:You can just start applying any jobs you find attractive to u. U can go on Indeed, Jobstreet, Monster SG, Linkedin. If they are only open to locals, they would usually mention it in the listing. Or if you're asked to sign in with Singpass then you can just pass that job listing. MNCs are usually keen to sponsor passes to foreigners esp if you have specific skillsets.
My partner is a PR nurse and may be sponsoring me for LTVP soon! I also worked in the education sector in Singapore from 2017-21….but not sure if that makes a difference or not!

Basic salary is enough. Not needed for a high salary. My guess would be if the sponsor has more than 4k+, the salary part for sponsoring should be ok. Just fyi, there will be other non salary factors that ICA will also be considering.

jwoods1864
Regular
Regular

Post by jwoods1864 » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 6:00 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
jwoods1864 wrote:

Basic salary is enough. Not needed for a high salary. My guess would be if the sponsor has more than 4k+, the salary part for sponsoring should be ok. Just fyi, there will be other non salary factors that ICA will also be considering.
Think her base salary is about 3.5 but usually with bonuses and overtime it works out more like four.
She only has about 10000 in CPF (became PR in early 2021 roughly).
We are only getting married in Jan so they might see it as a ‘marriage of convenience' too?

Those are the negatives anyway.

Positives:
If they need nurses and don't want to lose them, does that count in her favour?
She is Malaysian Chinese (27) and child bearing age. Tho maybe that doesn't matter for LTVP.
I have a degree in UK from top 200 University and doing a masters atm. I worked in Singapore from 2017-2021. Will they have knowledge of that when considering application?
I can also speak a bit of Chinese but doubt that matters.
From what I gather, LTVPs are accepted for the most part, are they not?
Thanks

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 8:35 pm

jwoods1864 wrote:
Mon, 15 Aug 2022 6:00 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
jwoods1864 wrote:

Think her base salary is about 3.5 but usually with bonuses and overtime it works out more like four.
We are only getting married in Jan so they might see it as a ‘marriage of convenience' too?

Positives:
She is Malaysian Chinese (27) and child bearing age. Tho maybe that doesn't matter for LTVP.
I have a degree in UK from top 200 University and doing a masters atm. I worked in Singapore from 2017-2021. Will they have knowledge of that when considering application?
Thanks

You are throwing in a lot of possibilities and making it complex.
I assume you will marry irrespective of LTVP approval. If so please go ahead and marry.
If you worked in SG in 2017-2021, why don't you find a job that can get you an EP or S Pass. You have not even sounded about that route at all.
I feel you will be overall OK for LTVP, but please don't have that as the only option and complicate things

jwoods1864
Regular
Regular

Post by jwoods1864 » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 8:43 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
jwoods1864 wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote: Basic salary is enough. Not needed for a high salary. My guess would be if the sponsor has more than 4k+, the salary part for sponsoring should be ok. Just fyi, there will be other non salary factors that ICA will also be considering.

Positives:
Thanks

I assume you will marry irrespective of LTVP approval. If so please go ahead and marry.
If you worked in SG in 2017-2021, why don't you find a job that can get you an EP or S Pass. You have not even sounded about that route at all.
I feel you will be overall OK for LTVP, but please don't have that as the only option and complicate things
Yeah I will try that route! I thought they pretty much don't give S Pass to westerners?
I think I will struggle in the education sector to get EP now. Everything seems to have tightened up since Covid and I am now too expensive to hire for some.
I will be getting married regardless and will know by January how successful or unsuccessful the EP/SP route will have been.

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Post by nelyanne » Tue, 16 Aug 2022 10:05 am

jwoods1864 wrote:
Mon, 15 Aug 2022 8:43 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
jwoods1864 wrote:

Positives:
Thanks

Yeah I will try that route! I thought they pretty much don't give S Pass to westerners?
I think I will struggle in the education sector to get EP now. Everything seems to have tightened up since Covid and I am now too expensive to hire for some.
I will be getting married regardless and will know by January how successful or unsuccessful the EP/SP route will have been.

It's possible to get an S-Pass as a westerner.
Are you only interested in education sector jobs?