Singapore Expats

REP renewal eligibility

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
xiaok644

REP renewal eligibility

Post by xiaok644 » Sat, 13 Aug 2022 5:56 pm

For a PR under PTS scheme, if he / she has been staying in Singapore for the past 5 years, and working
most of the time ( > 4 years), but suddenly got laid off before the REP is due for renewal.
Under the current economical climate, it might not be easy to find a new job very fast.

How will he/she be accessed for REP renewal? In order words, is it a hard requirement that the applicant must be employed at the point of time submitting the application?

Have anyone experienced a similar situation before?

Thank you very much!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: REP renewal eligibility

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Aug 2022 10:36 pm

Not an issue. You cannot get an REP unless you have a job if your PR is PTS. This isn't a real issue except for the fact that you cannot leave Singapore without the REP else you are telling ICA at the immigration counter that you are giving up your PR. But you can theoretically stay in Singapore the rest of your life without the REP. You just cannot exit immigration without a valid REP. I have gone as long as 15 months without an REP in the past. But I didn't leave the country. Not even to JB or Batam (both would also be signaling ICA you are giving up your PR. So. You Don't really have any issue. However, in order to renew your REP under the PTS scheme you have to have a job in order to renew it. (Not so with Family Ties - That's why the anchor spouse has to be able to support.

So to make a simple answer to your questions. Yes. And Yes.
(Unless it's changed in the past 3 years since my last renewal).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Re: REP renewal eligibility

Post by mystic_river » Sat, 13 Aug 2022 11:07 pm

If you try to renew your REP without a job, it won’t be instantaneous and ICA may call to ask why you are not working etc before probably giving you an REP for 1 year to allow you to find a job.

Or you could do exactly what SMS said, which is to wait till you find a job and then renew your REP (but make sure not to leave Singapore during that time)