Singapore Expats

Income Tax Cutoff Date for ICA

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
mr.green

Income Tax Cutoff Date for ICA

Post by mr.green » Sat, 06 Aug 2022 5:17 pm

Imagine an individual wants to apply for PR/Citizenship in 2023.

1. Ideally, when should the person submit the application to ICA to ensure that the 2022 tax payments have been accounted for? What would be a safe offset period?

2. Also, if someone is paying with GIRO, should they complete the entire payment before submitting their application for the tax contribution to be counted?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this! Thanks all.
by PNGMK » Mon, 08 Aug 2022 11:19 am
I would wait until you've received your notice of assessment. April 15 is the deadline for tax filing and most of the time you should have it by June. If not I'd wait for it. I don't believe you need to have PAID it for it to count. ICA are looking for proof of employment and income as part of their evaluation for PR/SC which the tax assessment provides.

Good question and one may of our PR hopefuls seem to miss. There really is no point applying in Jan-May as the tax data is old.... I do believe this just is one reason we see PR approvals stretching out to ~18 months in some cases.
Go to full post

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Income Tax Cutoff Date for ICA

Post by malcontent » Sat, 06 Aug 2022 7:13 pm

I think the question is, does any of this even make a difference on PR/SC applications? If the person was behind on their payments, yes, but as long as they are paying on time either upfront or by GIRO, I can’t imagine it would make any difference.

The only time I think it matters is when you are leaving Singapore for good and need tax clearance.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 08 Aug 2022 11:19 am

I would wait until you've received your notice of assessment. April 15 is the deadline for tax filing and most of the time you should have it by June. If not I'd wait for it. I don't believe you need to have PAID it for it to count. ICA are looking for proof of employment and income as part of their evaluation for PR/SC which the tax assessment provides.

Good question and one may of our PR hopefuls seem to miss. There really is no point applying in Jan-May as the tax data is old.... I do believe this just is one reason we see PR approvals stretching out to ~18 months in some cases.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

mr.green

Post by mr.green » Tue, 09 Aug 2022 11:57 am

Thank you so much for your perspectives!
malcontent wrote:
Sat, 06 Aug 2022 7:13 pm
I think the question is, does any of this even make a difference on PR/SC applications?
It does make sense only the Notice of Assessment is crucial for finding out an applicant's income and/or tax contributions.
PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 08 Aug 2022 11:19 am
I would wait until you've received your notice of assessment. April 15 is the deadline for tax filing and most of the time you should have it by June. If not I'd wait for it.
I think this does make sense. ICA wants the IRAS release form just to understand the taxable income an applicant has, and possibly income potential. Possibly an indicator of whether an applicant would become a liability instead of an asset.

Thank you so much! Patience for me.