Singapore Expats

Online grocery

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Online grocery

Post by abbby » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 9:28 am

Which online supermarkets do you buy from and would think their prices are reasonable?

I would buy from Redmart but recently had been finding their items relatively expensive, like fruits and vegetables.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Online grocery

Post by NYY1 » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 9:42 am

Personally, I've never liked ordering fruits and veggies online. Quality and condition ebb and flow too much (from all the retailers). If you have one nearby, FairPrice Finest gets my vote for combination of selection and quality (I think better than Cold Storage, etc).

Sorry, didn't really answer your question but I would just buy these few items in person.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 10:51 am

NYY1, obvious you have never shopped at the NTUC Fair Price @ NEX. Fresh produce if edible at all is still abysmal at best. Cold Storage in the basement had better fresh produce but at 2x the price but not the selection. In today world of inflation, I still have to continue to shop at FairPrice and being a farmer as a child I keep muttering "at home we wouldn't even feed our pigs this garbage". Sheng Siong is a good bet and I have one reasonably close but inconvenient and it's cramped/crowded.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 10:53 am

Fresh produce/meats/poultry/seafood always buy fresh. Unless it is processed and frozen. I prefer fresh and the ability to see what I am actually buying.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by NYY1 » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 11:40 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 01 Aug 2022 10:51 am
NYY1, obvious you have never shopped at the NTUC Fair Price @ NEX. Fresh produce if edible at all is still abysmal at best. Cold Storage in the basement had better fresh produce but at 2x the price but not the selection. In today world of inflation, I still have to continue to shop at FairPrice and being a farmer as a child I keep muttering "at home we wouldn't even feed our pigs this garbage". Sheng Siong is a good bet and I have one reasonably close but inconvenient and it's cramped/crowded.
You are correct, I have not been there, but know things can be not so great at times. Have you tried the "Finest" at Kovan or also too inconvenient? I haven't been to this one specifically but generally I've found the sub-brand Finest stores to have much nicer fruits and veggies.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 1:31 pm

Bit of a reach but I occasionally use the one at Hougang 1 but size & selection wise much of the same. It's only 1 km away but not as useful as the rest of the stores in there aren't of much use. NEX has a better selection/mix of other useful places as well. I also have a neighbourhood NTUC about 5 minutes walk away but it isn't much more than a MOM & POP shop but has a SP outlet there for those so inclined to gamble. Usually only buy bread & such there. Also got wet market behind it but I cannot go there as I have to pay Angmoh Tax when I go there by myself. LOL

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 1:35 pm

My favorite supermarket is closed up now. I used to always shop at Yaohan Thompson Plaza. Decent prices and excellent quality & variety. The NTUC there also not bad but too far away now that I've gone carless for the last 25 years. Some NTUC's like the one down Orchard area are good but prices slightly higher to take care of all the atas folks who like to be seen there. I don't remember the last time I was on Orchard Road to be honest other than changing trains at Dhoby Ghaut.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 4:56 pm

The NTUC at NEX is an Xtra and not Finest though. My family has lived in S’goon since the 80s and my parents also dislike the NTUC at NEX, preferring the smaller NTUC at S’goon Central or the wet market there.

When my parents just moved in, there was nothing in S’goon Central (let alone a NEX) and they had to go to Upper S’goon for groceries.

Lately there’s a franchise called “The Village” that has opened up in HDB neighbourhoods and my parents find their produce to be fairly good. They had a promo for any 3 types of produce for $5.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 5:43 pm

For at least the last 15 years, all of our fresh meat/veggies have been sourced from the wet market in Whampoa, the quality has been excellent.

Fairprice is my primary source of online groceries, as many as 1-2 orders per week.

Redmart has started to interest me, not for the prices but the selection. In my most recent order I picked up some frozen items from the US (Ore Ida Tater Tots, Arby’s curly fries, and Lender’s Bagels) as well as Australia (Mrs. Mac’s beef pies).
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 6:00 pm

BTW, does anyone know where to get good quality ham at a decent price here?

On my recent trip to the US I was reminded of the stark quality differences… most the ham sold here is just awful, barely fit for human consumption. Even the expensive stuff at the deli section in Cold Storage is just pathetic.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 6:49 pm

^ You can always don’t buy ham here and try alternatives like tuna/salmon spread? After going overseas I’ve learned to stop comparing quality/prices of stuff there vs here if you’re never gonna be satisfied. Like sushi for instance. Nothing will ever be as good as Japan.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 8:12 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Mon, 01 Aug 2022 6:49 pm
^ You can always don’t buy ham here and try alternatives like tuna/salmon spread? After going overseas I’ve learned to stop comparing quality/prices of stuff there vs here if you’re never gonna be satisfied. Like sushi for instance. Nothing will ever be as good as Japan.
I agree with your point, and I have tried many things (I have had a quarter century to try), even fried spam sandwich. Tuna is my favorite sandwich, but it also gets boring. Had a PB&J for lunch today. I’m just tired of eating the same old thing… the pandemic has made it worse. I try to avoid rice for lunch because it often comes with dinner, and I’ve never been a big rice guy anyway. Sometimes my wife will pick me up a wrap, or chicken rice. Maybe I just need to visit Subway more often to get my cold cut fix. I forgot to get a Reuben sandwich when I was back in the US… I’ll have to make a point to do that on my next trip.

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by NYY1 » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 8:46 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 01 Aug 2022 8:12 pm
MOCHS wrote:
I agree with your point, and I have tried many things (I have had a quarter century to try), even fried spam sandwich. Tuna is my favorite sandwich, but it also gets boring. Had a PB&J for lunch today. I’m just tired of eating the same old thing… the pandemic has made it worse. I try to avoid rice for lunch because it often comes with dinner, and I’ve never been a big rice guy anyway. Sometimes my wife will pick me up a wrap, or chicken rice. Maybe I just need to visit Subway more often to get my cold cut fix. I forgot to get a Reuben sandwich when I was back in the US… I’ll have to make a point to do that on my next trip.
Was the deli meat at Cold Storage packaged or the kind they slice on the spot when you are there? We don't eat much sandwich meat (rice and noodles family), but I thought some of the sliced while there stuff was not too bad (not Cold Storage though).

Subway's meats not much different than most packaged stuff here.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 9:17 pm

NYY1 wrote:
Mon, 01 Aug 2022 8:46 pm
malcontent wrote:
MOCHS wrote:
Was the deli meat at Cold Storage packaged or the kind they slice on the spot when you are there? We don't eat much sandwich meat (rice and noodles family), but I thought some of the sliced while there stuff was not too bad (not Cold Storage though).

Yep, it’s the stuff they slice on the spot at Cold Storage and charge an arm and a leg for.

From the color alone you can see it is a very light pink. I suspect this is due to the high fat content, which some might like here (some people don’t mind to just skip the meat entirely). But the meat is really flimsy too, almost watery, and tasteless as well. Sad.

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by NYY1 » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 9:39 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 01 Aug 2022 9:17 pm
NYY1 wrote:
Mon, 01 Aug 2022 8:46 pm
malcontent wrote:

Yep, it’s the stuff they slice on the spot at Cold Storage and charge an arm and a leg for.

From the color alone you can see it is a very light pink. I suspect this is due to the high fat content, which some might like here (some people don’t mind to just skip the meat entirely). But the meat is really flimsy too, almost watery, and tasteless as well. Sad.
Interesting. I'm going to go buy a few hundred grams tomorrow somewhere. I don't recall it being that bad. I guess even elsewhere there is a large range of quality depending on the store and cut (although good stuff not too hard to find).