Singapore Expats

ve visitedving to Singapore Long Term - what happens when you hit retirement age?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
StephenJonesPonty

ve visitedving to Singapore Long Term - what happens when you hit retirement age?

Post by StephenJonesPonty » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 6:01 pm

I am an IT Manager who has been advised that there is demand for my skills and that I could do reasonably well in Singapore.

I must add that my wife's Mum was originally from SG and that we have visited many times.
We would love t you reo come and live there but how do you do it so that you can remain permanently and what happens when you eventually hit retirement age? Do you have to leave?

Steve

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: ve visitedving to Singapore Long Term - what happens when you hit retirement age?

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 6:12 pm

1. You need an employer to engage you and obtain an employment pass (unless your wife is still a citizen of Singapore and in this case she can obtain a Long Term Visit Pass for you).

2. If you ultimately obtain an EP, you then attempt to obtain PR (after 3 - 5 years). If you have PR you can retire in Singapore. Most PR's actually move somewhere cheaper IME except for @SundayMorningStaple
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

StephenJonesPonty

Re: ve visitedving to Singapore Long Term - what happens when you hit retirement age?

Post by StephenJonesPonty » Tue, 02 Aug 2022 5:09 am

Thanks PNGMK. Very Helpful.
Unfortunately, my wife was never a citizen of SG so I'll have to do it the hard way.

mozarella99

Post by mozarella99 » Fri, 05 Aug 2022 8:45 am

Out of curious based on what PNGMK said. If you have enough saved up, hold a PR, and are keen to stay here for the long term - is that actually possible?

I always assumed that PR renewal was dependant on work related factors (ie: you'd have to be working, paying taxes and doing well for your PR to be renewed).

But provided folks can afford it. Can PRs retire (post 60yrs) and continue to live out their days here without worrying about renewals/ICA pulling the rug from under their feet?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 05 Aug 2022 10:00 am

Yes. At least one minister has said that this is possible. We have at least one PR on the forum who is doing this right now. My understanding is that after 55 you no longer need to be in regular employment to have your PR renewed. I'm 58 this year and will need to renew next year and no longer in regular employment so we will see.

There ~may~ be a difference between those who got PR as a PTS and those who got it on a family tie basis.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!