Singapore Expats

Neighbors renovation is driving me crazy

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Neighbors renovation is driving me crazy

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 30 Jul 2022 5:15 am

I’ve held out on writing about this for a while because I thought it would stop, but it hasn’t. I’m not sure what exactly my neighbor is getting done to his house, but there has been drilling going on every day from eight in the morning till at least five or six in the evening. It’s nonstop and it drives me absolutely insane. It’s not even soft drilling, it sounds like they're repaving the road or something and it makes it absolutely impossible to get anything done without headphones. Is there anything I can do about this?

x9200

Re: Neighbors renovation is driving me crazy

Post by x9200 » Sat, 30 Jul 2022 8:08 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 30 Jul 2022 5:15 am
I’ve held out on writing about this for a while because I thought it would stop, but it hasn’t. I’m not sure what exactly my neighbor is getting done to his house, but there has been drilling going on every day from eight in the morning till at least five or six in the evening. It’s nonstop and it drives me absolutely insane. It’s not even soft drilling, it sounds like they're repaving the road or something and it makes it absolutely impossible to get anything done without headphones. Is there anything I can do about this?
They are probably hammering down everything stone/ceramic, so all the floor and wall tiles, installing wall cabinets etc. I had such pleasure with the neighbors a few times, the worst was this year actually. The season started already before Christmas, continued over Christmas (pausing only on public holidays/Sundays) stopped shortly for CNY and continued till end of March. 3-4 units some directly below.
There is nothing you can do but to buy earplugs and perhaps active noise cancelling headphones. I had to do WFH during that time. Nightmare.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 3:19 am

Is there no sort of restriction against renovating for this long or for so many hours each time? I’d hate to be unneighborly but it’s truly a bit much.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 9:25 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 31 Jul 2022 3:19 am
Is there no sort of restriction against renovating for this long or for so many hours each time? I’d hate to be unneighborly but it’s truly a bit much.
Surely there are some but I doubt they are practical to use.
https://www.gov.sg/article/reporting-li ... -pollution

As long as the work is done within specific hours outside what is mentioned under the link above (e.g. 8am to 6pm), I don't think you could do anything. Unless perhaps there are some MC members sharing your fate.

You may call NEA and check.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 11:26 am

Apart from following the rules as X9200 mentioned, they are also usually required to get permission from the condo MA to carry out the work on certain days and time. They would have most likely gotten approval for specific days. And probably pasted the details on their front door. If all of this has been followed, then there's little you can do except wait for it to be over. I believe most renovations take around 2 weeks.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 4:42 pm

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 31 Jul 2022 11:26 am
Apart from following the rules as X9200 mentioned, they are also usually required to get permission from the condo MA to carry out the work on certain days and time. They would have most likely gotten approval for specific days. And probably pasted the details on their front door. If all of this has been followed, then there's little you can do except wait for it to be over. I believe most renovations take around 2 weeks.
We’re a little over the two week market this point, and it doesn’t seem to be stopping. I might have to resort to working from cafés while this is going on, but it’s just upsetting that I’ve been kicked out of my own home. Hope it stops soon, but also there is no notice on the door or in the lobby, which there usually is.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 4:44 pm

x9200 wrote:
Sun, 31 Jul 2022 9:25 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 31 Jul 2022 3:19 am
Surely there are some but I doubt they are practical to use.
https://www.gov.sg/article/reporting-li ... -pollution

As long as the work is done within specific hours outside what is mentioned under the link above (e.g. 8am to 6pm), I don't think you could do anything. Unless perhaps there are some MC members sharing your fate.

You may call NEA and check.
Not sure there are too many others who are very bothered, my condo only has four units to a floor, and they are spaced pretty far apart so I’d imagine the neighbors on the other end of the corridor may not be as put off by it. Still, I’ve never heard anything like this loud so I wouldn’t be surprised if they were.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 5:05 pm

If pasting a notice is the norm and if there isn't one in this case, I'd probably check with the MA if I were you.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 5:09 pm

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 31 Jul 2022 5:05 pm
If pasting a notice is the norm and if there isn't one in this case, I'd probably check with the MA if I were you.
I think I will call up security. If they are doing renovations without MA approval, it should be perfectly within my rights to get them to stop. I’m just hesitant as we have a pretty cordial relationship, and I don’t want to sully that over something small.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 5:53 pm

smoulder wrote:
I dont know about condo. But HDB is a must.
Normally 1 notice on the ground floor beside lift, another 1 beside the unit door.

[edit] Found this
Add HDB information
https://www.hdb.gov.sg/residential/livi ... nformation

Under "Responsibles of flat owners"
Timings for carrying out renovations
You or your renovation contractor should:

Inform your neighbours staying within a radius of 2 units at least 5 days in advance before renovations begin with written notice. Do remind your contractor to put up the Notice of Renovation outside your flat early and throughout the renovation period.

Only carry out renovation work between the stipulated timings below.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 6:14 pm

Condo's almost always require a notice to be put up. I'm sure it's required by the BCA.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 6:14 pm

Pasting a notice on your front door is the rule in my condo. The notice is supposed to indicate the exact dates and timings and is signed by the condo manager indicating that approval has been sought.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 7:18 pm

In my condo approval is needed and the notices pasted in a few location. If they run out of time, they get an extension.
As much as I hate it there is probably no better way than do it longer hours in less days. This is also because of neighbors living within the same corridor - dust is everywhere and gets inside all the apartments not to mention shoe racks and such.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 10:19 pm

therat wrote:
Sun, 31 Jul 2022 5:53 pm
smoulder wrote:
I dont know about condo. But HDB is a must.
Normally 1 notice on the ground floor beside lift, another 1 beside the unit door.

[edit] Found this
Add HDB information
https://www.hdb.gov.sg/residential/livi ... nformation

Under "Responsibles of flat owners"
Timings for carrying out renovations
You or your renovation contractor should:

Inform your neighbours staying within a radius of 2 units at least 5 days in advance before renovations begin with written notice. Do remind your contractor to put up the Notice of Renovation outside your flat early and throughout the renovation period.

Only carry out renovation work between the stipulated timings below.

I live in a condo, typically it is the standard for owners/tenants to report their renovations, and thereafter have a notice put up in the lobby. I’m not sure about on the door though.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 10:20 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Sun, 31 Jul 2022 6:14 pm
Condo's almost always require a notice to be put up. I'm sure it's required by the BCA.
I’m not too clear on whether it is part of an actual regulation, but I understand it to have been the norm thus far, at least in my condo.