Singapore Expats

Pending PR application under Spouse scheme but asked if I'd like to apply under own merits

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
lhpmh

Pending PR application under Spouse scheme but asked if I'd like to apply under own merits

Post by lhpmh » Fri, 29 Jul 2022 1:30 pm

Hi guys,

We've received a rather unusual request from ICA.

My husband is a Singapore Citizen who's self-employed. I'm a professional on EP, drawing 10k+ salary. We've been married for 7 years now and I've been living in Singapore for 10 years. We submitted a PR application under spousal sponsor scheme about 7 months ago. We just received an update from ICA, asking my husband if he'd like for me to apply under my own merits. If so, I'll need to fill up the application form for application under Professional Technical and Skilled Workers Scheme and submit it on ePR system.

We've not heard of anyone being asked this before so wondering if anyone has similar experience? Or if any of you would be able to share some thoughts on this?

Thanks!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Pending PR application under Spouse scheme but asked if I'd like to apply under own merits

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 29 Jul 2022 2:09 pm

They're trying to help you. Singapore "hates" self employed because their income is variable (I'm one so I know - we struggle to get credit cards, loans, mortgages etc). So what they're trying to do is meet the metric using your more stable income source (although of course you could be laid off tomorrow).

"Island of Entrepreneurs" my ass. Old Pinky got rid of them all.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Pending PR application under Spouse scheme but asked if I'd like to apply under own merits

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 6:39 pm

What I find interesting is the bureaucracy around it. They could have simply asked for the relevant documents and then internally treated it as PR under skills category.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 9:00 pm

A few months ago there was someone who had a total opposite scenario from you. He applied under PTS and then ICA asked if he would like to apply under family ties scheme instead which was what he did. The situation is rare but not unheard of.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 10:40 am

If one is on a work visa and married to a SCG / SPR it is usually better to apply for PR under the Family Ties scheme. This was told to me by the Officer who ultimately gave me my PR back in '95 (he told me this at an SICC Christmas function at the clubhouse 10 years later (he actually remembered me after a decade). His words... If you apply on the PTS scheme generally they will only assess the application based on the PTS criteria, however, if you can also apply under the FT scheme they they will look at the FT AND take into consideration the EP (PTS availability) for the potential added push if the anchor spouse is not that strong financially. (This was basically how I got PR).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 12:59 pm

Family ties is the way to go if you can.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!