Singapore Expats

PR chances: Korean woman married to Singaporean man

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
pewiepew

PR chances: Korean woman married to Singaporean man

Post by pewiepew » Wed, 27 Jul 2022 8:12 pm

Hello! I just applied for PR. I'm a Korean woman who has been married with my Singaporean husband for 2.5 years. We just applied right after buying an HDB.

Me
Nationality:Korean
Ethnicity: Korean
Pass: LTVP+ (PLOC)
Degree holder in a top Korean uni (although that probably doesn't matter to Singaporean gov right haha..)
3.8k monthly salary (Same job in Singapore for 2 years)
Lived in Singapore since January 2020 (2.5 years)

Spouse
Singaporean (Chinese)
Male
Diploma holder
He started his own company around 3 years ago. 3k monthly salary that we reported.
He's been paying his CPF for quite a long time before that, but only started paying personal income tax.
Owns a 3-room HDB (we recently paid for this together and had it by the time we applied for PR)

We just applied last month... I'm wondering if our chances are okay.. When I first moved here I had high hopes and I just applied as soon as it hit 6 months into my job ^^ I just wanted to try it, since my Malaysian friends were all approved right away within 3 months.... Alas, I got rejected after waiting over a year for a reply. Haha.. this time we waited a while, and tried again after we bought our property.

We're hoping that buying a hdb ourselves will show them that we have the means and the desire to stay here permanently.
let us know thanks ><
Last edited by pewiepew on Wed, 27 Jul 2022 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR chances: Korean woman married to Singaporean man

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Jul 2022 10:03 pm

Wait until 'at least' 24 months have passed since the date of your rejection.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Wed, 27 Jul 2022 10:30 pm

What SMS said.

Also, M’sian Chinese are the only applicants who have an easier time with PR as culturally they are similar to S’pore. Other races & nationalities on the other hand, are viewed differently.

So if any M’sian Chinese tell you their PR was very easy to get, take it with a grain of salt as it will never apply to you unless you’re M’sian Chinese as well.

Your husband’s salary is a bit too low as your sponsor. He should improve his salary for the next 2 years before applying again.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 27 Jul 2022 10:53 pm

pewiepew wrote:
Wed, 27 Jul 2022 8:12 pm
We're hoping that buying a hdb ourselves will show them that we have the means and the desire to stay here permanently.
let us know thanks ><
Just curious, what is it about Singapore that makes you want to stay here permanently?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

pewiepew

Post by pewiepew » Wed, 27 Jul 2022 11:21 pm

@sundaymorningstaple Ahh okay, so I shouldn't think about PR for the next two years then?

@malcontent
I like Singapore because I'm a third-culture child. I grew up in different countries, and then moved around diff countries during adulthood... so I always felt a bit of an outsider wherever I lived, even in Korea haha. But I came to singapore and made sg friends here and met my husband and it feels very much like home for once. I guess generally, it's not as exciting as Seoul or London but I've made some amazing friends here, so I'm really here for the people. Everyone's a little different to each other, so somehow that actually makes me feel more at home. So my husband and I decided we would stay in Singapore, I think the future looks bright for this country haha.

@MOCHS
He used to make a lot more before which is why we afforded the hdb... but since the crash it's been hard to be self-employed. Ah yes... I heard that. i didn't know that nationality was such a big part of the PR process :(

I have a question, does having property help our application at all? :/

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 28 Jul 2022 12:45 am

No. property is only for enriching yourselves. Doesn't help the Government. In fact HDB are heavily subsidized by the Government to start with. Actually if your Husband's business takes off and can hire locals to work for him, that will garner more points than buying property as that is helping the keep the nation employed, therefore contributing to the country as a whole. You need to look at it from the government's perspective. This is also why it's always a good idea to have children early on as the father is already SGC so the children will be SGC's as well, therefore contributing to the future of the country and defense of the country if a male child. Those are plus points that will be a definite positive.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 28 Jul 2022 1:29 am

pewiepew wrote:
Wed, 27 Jul 2022 11:21 pm
Ah yes... I heard that. i didn't know that nationality was such a big part of the PR process :(
It’s not nationality, but cultural affinity. Malaysia & Singapore have so much in common that Malaysian Chinese can assimilate almost instantly and spontaneously... being accepted as Singaporeans almost immediately.

I believe Chinese from Hong Kong, Taiwan and Indonesia are next in line, followed by all other Chinese from Asia, with perhaps a slight edge for those from certain ASEAN countries. I believe Chinese from outside Asia are generally lower on the totem pole — blame cultural pollution!

Koreans and Japanese aren’t counted as Chinese — so you are Others, which is a small minority in the CMIO framework, which lumps together anyone who is not Chinese, Malay or Indian.

Still, being married to a Singaporean, you will eventually get PR if you keep after it. There are plenty of “Others” on this board who married a Singaporean and initially got rejected for PR… you are not alone.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Jul 2022 2:04 am

pewiepew wrote:
Wed, 27 Jul 2022 11:21 pm
@sundaymorningstaple Ahh okay, so I shouldn't think about PR for the next two years then?

@malcontent
I like Singapore because I'm a third-culture child. I grew up in different countries, and then moved around diff countries during adulthood... so I always felt a bit of an outsider wherever I lived, even in Korea haha. But I came to singapore and made sg friends here and met my husband and it feels very much like home for once. I guess generally, it's not as exciting as Seoul or London but I've made some amazing friends here, so I'm really here for the people. Everyone's a little different to each other, so somehow that actually makes me feel more at home. So my husband and I decided we would stay in Singapore, I think the future looks bright for this country haha.

@MOCHS
He used to make a lot more before which is why we afforded the hdb... but since the crash it's been hard to be self-employed. Ah yes... I heard that. i didn't know that nationality was such a big part of the PR process :(

I have a question, does having property help our application at all? :/
That’s nice, and yes people here do tend to be very friendly compared to countries like Japan or Korea that tend to be very insular.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Jul 2022 2:06 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 28 Jul 2022 12:45 am
No. property is only for enriching yourselves. Doesn't help the Government. In fact HDB are heavily subsidized by the Government to start with. Actually if your Husband's business takes off and can hire locals to work for him, that will garner more points than buying property as that is helping the keep the nation employed, therefore contributing to the country as a whole. You need to look at it from the government's perspective. This is also why it's always a good idea to have children early on as the father is already SGC so the children will be SGC's as well, therefore contributing to the future of the country and defense of the country if a male child. Those are plus points that will be a definite positive.
Right. Considering how much the government subsidizes HDBs, it really is the buyer the ends up winning. Granted, property is a lot more affordable overseas, but in a local context this is the only valid argument.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Jul 2022 2:08 am

pewiepew wrote:
Wed, 27 Jul 2022 8:12 pm
Hello! I just applied for PR. I'm a Korean woman who has been married with my Singaporean husband for 2.5 years. We just applied right after buying an HDB.

Me
Nationality:Korean
Ethnicity: Korean
Pass: LTVP+ (PLOC)
Degree holder in a top Korean uni (although that probably doesn't matter to Singaporean gov right haha..)
3.8k monthly salary (Same job in Singapore for 2 years)
Lived in Singapore since January 2020 (2.5 years)

Spouse
Singaporean (Chinese)
Male
Diploma holder
He started his own company around 3 years ago. 3k monthly salary that we reported.
He's been paying his CPF for quite a long time before that, but only started paying personal income tax.
Owns a 3-room HDB (we recently paid for this together and had it by the time we applied for PR)

We just applied last month... I'm wondering if our chances are okay.. When I first moved here I had high hopes and I just applied as soon as it hit 6 months into my job ^^ I just wanted to try it, since my Malaysian friends were all approved right away within 3 months.... Alas, I got rejected after waiting over a year for a reply. Haha.. this time we waited a while, and tried again after we bought our property.

let us know thanks ><
Salary is on the lower end, and as other members have pointed out, chances will improve over time. Will go up if you have a kid and salary increases.

pewiepew

Post by pewiepew » Thu, 28 Jul 2022 7:57 pm

A child...if it happens, of course I would love it. It's tough because it feels if you're an "OTHER"---like they want you to be under 30, while having a child, while having a career that makes you 8k+ per month at least... I have to have all of this to even dream about PR.

It's really tough. I do have Hong Kong PR from growing up there, so actually culturally I am more close to Singapore than they think. It's not something I can convey to them on their online sheet though...

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 29 Jul 2022 12:24 am

pewiepew wrote:
Thu, 28 Jul 2022 7:57 pm
A child...if it happens, of course I would love it. It's tough because it feels if you're an "OTHER"---like they want you to be under 30, while having a child, while having a career that makes you 8k+ per month at least... I have to have all of this to even dream about PR.

It's really tough. I do have Hong Kong PR from growing up there, so actually culturally I am more close to Singapore than they think. It's not something I can convey to them on their online sheet though...
Who lowered it to 30? They don’t give up on you having kids until your 35. This is clear from the HDB policy for singles, and it’s medically sound… if you’re going to have kids, you do it by age 35 or else the risk of birth defects starts to go up considerably — not to mention, it’s harder to give birth the older you are (body doesn’t snap back as easily) and think about the energy needed to keep up with your kid!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 29 Jul 2022 5:11 am

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 29 Jul 2022 12:24 am
pewiepew wrote:

Who lowered it to 30? They don’t give up on you having kids until your 35. This is clear from the HDB policy for singles, and it’s medically sound… if you’re going to have kids, you do it by age 35 or else the risk of birth defects starts to go up considerably — not to mention, it’s harder to give birth the older you are (body doesn’t snap back as easily) and think about the energy needed to keep up with your kid!
Right, apparently the statistic is that with each year after 35 your overall fertility decreases by 1%. Either that or it’s the chance of conception, I can’t remember.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 29 Jul 2022 5:13 am

pewiepew wrote:

I know it can feel rather pressurizing because it seems as though you need to meet all of these qualifications, but that’s really not the case. You may very well granted PR without having one or more of these.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 29 Jul 2022 11:18 am

pewiepew wrote:
I’m a SC who doesn’t earn 8K, early 30s, no children/not pregnant and successfully sponsored PR for my husband who belongs to “Others” category. I made a post over here that you can check out.

You basically jumped the gun by applying for PR too soon after moving to SG. You should have waited till you had at least 2-3 tax assessments before applying.

Just wait 2 more years after the rejection and be patient, don’t apply too soon or it will look like you’re desperate and get rejected again. As long as your husband improves salary, it would be better chance next time.