Singapore Expats

Primary 1 registration exercises - game changer

Interested to get your child into a local Primary School? Discuss the opportunities here.
NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Primary 1 registration exercises - game changer

Post by NYY1 » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 11:58 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 01 Aug 2022 10:29 am
Back in HS, I had a totally different mindset. I did not care what I scored, and that was reflected in my results. I dropped out of the academic stream and took the vocational stream… mainly because my last two years of HS would be half days; for the morning half they would bus us over to a vocational school and there was zero study there, all hands on. While I did take the ACT with the rest of my HS class, my results were not stellar. The question I have to ask myself, did any of this have an long-term effect on my outcome? I have to say honestly, no. When I got into community college, I quickly caught up and by my final year of university I was making the dean’s list. I credit that not to hard work, but taking a full roster of classes that I was actually interested in. Yes, I may be the exception to the rule, but I always knew I had it in me… whether I worked hard or not, it was going to happen. This is why I always say, the cream rises to the top, some bits a little slower than others, but the destination is the same. And while I’m not top brass, I’ve certainly done better than the vast majority of my HS class, despite doing far worse that them back in those days. I have no regrets and wouldn’t change a thing.
FWIW, I am also a bit surprised the route your daughter has evolved on. Given your background and another child outside of the local system, I am sure the expectations at home are only so much. I guess it's the constant echo chamber the kids are in with regards to school and future wants.

Many of the kids that I've seen best avoid it (in secondary/JC) started in the neighborhood schools (or at least non-famous schools). They just weren't pressured from day 1, and school was something they did, not something that defined them. I've also seen kids from the more popular primary schools do it but it really comes down to how the parents conditioned them in primary school.

I would think St Margaret's is somewhere in the middle. Attracted a certain type of girls but hardly the pressure cooker type.

Also, if I am doing the math right she must have registered there the last year before they changed the priority/ballot mechanism for non-SC? Or your wife went there and she entered via 2A rights (I guess also could be 2B via church).

Anyways, like I said elsewhere I'm sure she will do well in the years ahead.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 1:54 pm

NYY1 wrote:
Mon, 01 Aug 2022 11:58 am
malcontent wrote:
Mon, 01 Aug 2022 10:29 am
Back in HS, I had a totally different mindset. I did not care what I scored, and that was reflected in my results. I dropped out of the academic stream and took the vocational stream… mainly because my last two years of HS would be half days; for the morning half they would bus us over to a vocational school and there was zero study there, all hands on. While I did take the ACT with the rest of my HS class, my results were not stellar. The question I have to ask myself, did any of this have an long-term effect on my outcome? I have to say honestly, no. When I got into community college, I quickly caught up and by my final year of university I was making the dean’s list. I credit that not to hard work, but taking a full roster of classes that I was actually interested in. Yes, I may be the exception to the rule, but I always knew I had it in me… whether I worked hard or not, it was going to happen. This is why I always say, the cream rises to the top, some bits a little slower than others, but the destination is the same. And while I’m not top brass, I’ve certainly done better than the vast majority of my HS class, despite doing far worse that them back in those days. I have no regrets and wouldn’t change a thing.
FWIW, I am also a bit surprised the route your daughter has evolved on. Given your background and another child outside of the local system, I am sure the expectations at home are only so much. I guess it's the constant echo chamber the kids are in with regards to school and future wants.

Many of the kids that I've seen best avoid it (in secondary/JC) started in the neighborhood schools (or at least non-famous schools). They just weren't pressured from day 1, and school was something they did, not something that defined them. I've also seen kids from the more popular primary schools do it but it really comes down to how the parents conditioned them in primary school.

I would think St Margaret's is somewhere in the middle. Attracted a certain type of girls but hardly the pressure cooker type.

Also, if I am doing the math right she must have registered there the last year before they changed the priority/ballot mechanism for non-SC? Or your wife went there and she entered via 2A rights.

You are correct, my daughter got in the year before they changed the system to give absolute priority to SC children. She was the last batch of PR kids to get any seats in phase 2C at St. Margaret’s… the following year I checked and absolutely zero PR kids were successful in 2C. By the time it was my son’s turn, there was no longer any incentive for him to apply for PR (had they not made that change… who knows).

We treat both of our kids the same when it comes to academic expectations, despite their going to different schools. We do not heap a bunch of pressure on them, we just expect them to do their best and not to flunk out of school. We don’t expect them to get into a top school. And what college they go to will be their decision, as long as it’s in the US (we don’t want to split up our family).
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by NYY1 » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 2:36 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 01 Aug 2022 1:54 pm
NYY1 wrote:
Mon, 01 Aug 2022 11:58 am

Also, if I am doing the math right she must have registered there the last year before they changed the priority/ballot mechanism for non-SC? Or your wife went there and she entered via 2A rights.

You are correct, my daughter got in the year before they changed the system to give absolute priority to SC children. She was the last batch of PR kids to get any seats in phase 2C at St. Margaret’s… the following year I checked and absolutely zero PR kids were successful in 2C. By the time it was my son’s turn, there was no longer any incentive for him to apply for PR (had they not made that change… who knows).

We treat both of our kids the same when it comes to academic expectations, despite their going to different schools. We do not heap a bunch of pressure on them, we just expect them to do their best and not to flunk out of school. We don’t expect them to get into a top school. And what college they go to will be their decision, as long as it’s in the US (we don’t want to split up our family).
Sorry, what I meant was that I know it (pressure) wasn't coming from the home. So the peer environment/system may be stronger these days (more than I had acknowledged in some of my prior comments).

I do agree with you on the unis. For example, if my kid was targeting business, I wouldn't be worried if they can't get into Berkeley and just go Indiana University. However, if they have the option for both I would definitely suggest they go to Berkeley (end decision is theirs though).

The interesting question is if you can go to Indiana for free or pay at Berkeley, which one do you chose? Not as easy for me there.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 4:44 pm

NYY1 wrote:
Mon, 01 Aug 2022 2:36 pm
The interesting question is if you can go to Indiana for free or pay at Berkeley, which one do you chose? Not as easy for me there.
That is a tough one… but yet another reason for our whole family to move in-state. For our 2 kids to get their degrees, it’s close to a half million in savings. Possibly another half million in reduced living expenses (every year of SAS tuition is big).

My wife also needs to live 5 years in the US so that she will qualify for Social Security & Medicare under my work record. That is est. to be $4,000/mo by the time we reach retirement age, spousal will add another $2,000/mo; plus she’ll get my full amount if anything happens to me. That’s a chunk of change.

Add it all up, it’s easily over 7 figures.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by NYY1 » Tue, 02 Aug 2022 8:39 am

Here's an article about someone that transferred to Berkeley. Probably not your typical transfer student though :D .

I don't agree with everything this person says or does, but the following is good to keep in mind. This is a situation where "the cream eventually rose to the top."

=====
"His mom said, 'No son of mine is going to junior college,'" Rigsbee said. "I said, 'Look, our general ed classes are the same as they are anywhere, whether you're at Stanford, Cal or Harvard. The War of 1812 doesn't change just because you're at Butte College. Those classes will transfer anywhere in the world. Your degree isn't going to say Butte College.'"
It's a story that's been told many times, but it's one that is crucial to understanding him. Chico and Butte are where he learned to trust his own instincts and learned that knowledge could come from anywhere.

=====

https://www.espn.com.sg/nfl/story/_/id/ ... on-rodgers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 02 Aug 2022 4:36 pm

It is true that junior college / community college in the US has always had a certain stigma attached to it… I would liken it to ITE here — it’s viewed as a place where those who presumably can’t cut it end up.

I honestly had a great experience in my two years at community college, class sizes were smaller, teachers were great, and there is genuine focus on teaching core curriculum.

I had to take a few core classes that I had missed after I transferred to university and it was awful - huge auditorium, no access to the teacher, struggled to get anything out of it. Fortunately I only had a couple of those left to take. And it’s also true, my degree is still from the university, you just get credit toward the equivalent classes as if you took them there.

moonshineQ

Post by moonshineQ » Fri, 05 Aug 2022 3:37 pm

this whole Primary 1 thingy just makes housing in SG way too ex!

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by NYY1 » Sat, 06 Aug 2022 7:40 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 28 Jul 2022 3:40 am
NYY1 wrote:
Tue, 26 Jul 2022 5:31 am
Interestingly, RGPS is somewhat of a unique case. It has had no balloting in 2B in recent years (either PV or GRL) and with the exception of 2020 2C does not have balloting < 1 km (likely due to the low density housing in the area). For a GEP centre, this is an outlier.

But in general, it has only gotten harder and harder...
The housing point is really important. The school is in Hillcrest, so there really isn’t a lot of housing, certainly not any non-land properties so living within 1 km would be very difficult for most, and would alienate most of the Singaporean population.
RGPS is going to ballot < 1 km in 2C this year. There were 90 spots and 125 applicants (unclear how many are within 1 km). In 2020 when RGPS ballot < 1 km there were 77 spots available, and in 2021 when RGPS ballot > 2 km there were 97 spots available. I guess the new 4th Avenue Residences may have added < 1 km housing here.

Anyways, looks like more and more people are doing what they can to try their luck at certain schools (justified or not).