Singapore Expats

Converting Indonesian Driving License to SDL

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
goingthere@2022

Converting Indonesian Driving License to SDL

Post by goingthere@2022 » Sat, 23 Jul 2022 6:37 pm

Hi, any fellow Indonesians can share experience on converting their Indonesian DL (SIM) to SDL?

I inspected my Indonesian DL, and it does not specify the first date of issuance. Some of the websites I researched for the conversion requirements mention that the Singapore Traffic Police would require some sort of supporting document to explain when we first obtained our foreign DL.

Any fellow Indonesians can direct me to how/where to get this? I dont think the SAMSAT/traffic police in Indonesia provide this type of statement. :(
by malcontent » Sat, 23 Jul 2022 11:44 pm
goingthere@2022 wrote:
Sat, 23 Jul 2022 6:37 pm
Hi, any fellow Indonesians can share experience on converting their Indonesian DL (SIM) to SDL?

I inspected my Indonesian DL, and it does not specify the first date of issuance. Some of the websites I researched for the conversion requirements mention that the Singapore Traffic Police would require some sort of supporting document to explain when we first obtained our foreign DL.

Any fellow Indonesians can direct me to how/where to get this? I dont think the SAMSAT/traffic police in Indonesia provide this type of statement. :(
You don’t have to limit this thread to fellow Indonesians, this is about conversion of foreign licenses — and I am fairly sure the same rules apply no matter what country it is.

It has been a while, but my wife (she is Indonesian) and I both converted our licenses from the US. What they needed to see aside from the license itself was proof that we had lived in the US. I think she just showed the degree she earned. They did not ask for our driving record or anything else. My wife converted hers several years after me and had to take the written test. Fortunately I managed to get mine before they required a test when converting.
Go to full post

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Converting Indonesian Driving License to SDL

Post by malcontent » Sat, 23 Jul 2022 11:44 pm

goingthere@2022 wrote:

You don’t have to limit this thread to fellow Indonesians, this is about conversion of foreign licenses — and I am fairly sure the same rules apply no matter what country it is.

It has been a while, but my wife (she is Indonesian) and I both converted our licenses from the US. What they needed to see aside from the license itself was proof that we had lived in the US. I think she just showed the degree she earned. They did not ask for our driving record or anything else. My wife converted hers several years after me and had to take the written test. Fortunately I managed to get mine before they required a test when converting.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 24 Jul 2022 4:27 am

If I’m not wrong at this point anybody who tries converting will need to take a written test. But it’s still better than having to get a license from scratch as you save time and money on doing the practical test, which is pretty difficult to pass.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sun, 24 Jul 2022 10:16 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 24 Jul 2022 4:27 am
If I’m not wrong at this point anybody who tries converting will need to take a written test. But it’s still better than having to get a license from scratch as you save time and money on doing the practical test, which is pretty difficult to pass.
That is correct, this changed sometime in the 2000’s, and is still required today. I heard that if you don’t diligently study for the test you will surely fail.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

goingthere@2022

Post by goingthere@2022 » Sun, 24 Jul 2022 12:18 pm

Thanks for your reply, malcontent. much appreciated. I'm sure same rules would apply, however there could be country specific peculiarities. Did your wife convert her Indonesian DL or US DL? Perhaps US DL specifies the first issuance date (which I understand from other threads elsewhere in this forum, is a requirement - such as if it's a Malaysian DL, the applicant need to obtain some sort of letter/statement from the Malaysian TP), which is absent in the current version of Indonesian DL - hence my question for similar case.

Many thanks.
malcontent wrote:
Sat, 23 Jul 2022 11:44 pm
goingthere@2022 wrote:

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sun, 24 Jul 2022 3:13 pm

goingthere@2022 wrote:
Sun, 24 Jul 2022 12:18 pm
Thanks for your reply, malcontent. much appreciated. I'm sure same rules would apply, however there could be country specific peculiarities. Did your wife convert her Indonesian DL or US DL? Perhaps US DL specifies the first issuance date (which I understand from other threads elsewhere in this forum, is a requirement - such as if it's a Malaysian DL, the applicant need to obtain some sort of letter/statement from the Malaysian TP), which is absent in the current version of Indonesian DL - hence my question for similar case.

Many thanks.
My wife got her first license in the US, as a college student. She did have an Indonesian license at one time in her life (no conversion, just pay and you can get), but when she converted to SG she used her US license which I kept renewing for her (still to today).

You could be right, they might be more strict about licenses from countries like Indonesia, where you can bypass rules and get a license if you have enough Rps.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 4:13 am

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 24 Jul 2022 10:16 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 24 Jul 2022 4:27 am
That is correct, this changed sometime in the 2000’s, and is still required today. I heard that if you don’t diligently study for the test you will surely fail.
Is the test any different from the BTT or FTT? If not, then I don’t think it’s that tough. My daughter passed both with full marks on the first try, and hardly studied at all. I had a look at the questions and most of them are common sense, you just pick the safest option each time.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 4:14 am

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 24 Jul 2022 3:13 pm
goingthere@2022 wrote:
Sun, 24 Jul 2022 12:18 pm

Many thanks.
My wife got her first license in the US, as a college student. She did have an Indonesian license at one time in her life (no conversion, just pay and you can get), but when she converted to SG she used her US license which I kept renewing for her (still to today).

You could be right, they might be more strict about licenses from countries like Indonesia, where you can bypass rules and get a license if you have enough Rps.
I think so too. I think they are more lenient on countries that have stricter documentation requirements.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 5:50 pm

Things sure have changed since I got my SG License. When down to the old office on Maxwell Road walked in with my class D Louisiana Driver's (chauffeur's) license that allowed me to drive anything with wheels under it from 2 to 22. On the spot issued me a full local license (2/3/4) with the exception of Class 5 The reason for that was because I would not be allowed to drive one without at least a work permit. I converted my license while on a bog standard 30 day SVP - I lived here for the 1st 11 years while on an SVP & had 1 marriage, 2 kids & 3 cars during that time). I believe you cannot convert now unless you have some sort of residency, correct?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 27 Jul 2022 8:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 26 Jul 2022 5:50 pm
Things sure have changed since I got my SG License. When down to the old office on Maxwell Road walked in with my class D Louisiana Driver's (chauffeur's) license that allowed me to drive anything with wheels under it from 2 to 22. On the spot issued me a full local license (2/3/4) with the exception of Class 5 The reason for that was because I would not be allowed to drive one without at least a work permit. I converted my license while on a bog standard 30 day SVP - I lived here for the 1st 11 years while on an SVP & had 1 marriage, 2 kids & 3 cars during that time). I believe you cannot convert now unless you have some sort of residency, correct?
That’s right, you must have some form of valid residence here before you can get or renew a license. Since I’m not a PR, I’ve had to renew mine every 5 years and show proof of residency every time. The last few times it was at the Traffic Police post in Ubi, but I heard you can renew online starting a year or two back.

For some strange reason, they don’t like to accept DL for identification here. But I still use it quite a bit — most places like medical clinics will grudgingly accept it when they are forced to. Even my bank (DBS) has grudgingly accepted it, I just tell them that I applied for a visa and my passport is unavailable. That usually works, but they warn me… next time you must bring your passport!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Jul 2022 2:41 am

Chauffeurs license? As in you were a chauffeur? This is new information

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Jul 2022 2:42 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 27 Jul 2022 8:21 pm
That’s right, you must have some form of valid residence here before you can get or renew a license. Since I’m not a PR, I’ve had to renew mine every 5 years and show proof of residency every time. The last few times it was at the Traffic Police post in Ubi, but I heard you can renew online starting a year or two back.

For some strange reason, they don’t like to accept DL for identification here. But I still use it quite a bit — most places like medical clinics will grudgingly accept it when they are forced to. Even my bank (DBS) has grudgingly accepted it, I just tell them that I applied for a visa and my passport is unavailable. That usually works, but they warn me… next time you must bring your passport!
I’ve noticed that as well, not sure why since it has all the same information that’s on your IC.

oplisdop

Post by oplisdop » Sat, 15 Jul 2023 12:15 am

Regarding the renewal of the Singaporean driving license, the validity period is typically 5 years. In the past, you had to visit a Traffic Police post, such as the one in Ubi, and provide proof of residency each time you renewed your license. However, as you mentioned, there have been efforts to streamline the process, and online renewal options have been introduced.

It is indeed curious that some establishments in Singapore may be reluctant to accept a foreign driver's license as a form of identification, even though it contains the same information as the Singaporean IC (Identification Card). However, some places may still accept it if you explain your situation, as you mentioned with medical clinics and your bank. Nonetheless, it's always advisable to carry your passport as a primary form of identification, especially if the establishment explicitly requests it.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 15 Jul 2023 12:00 pm

It is not typically 5 years, it 5 years or never.

SC/PR = never expires
Work pass holders = expires in 5 years
Proof of residency is not required.
Proof of work pass validity is.

As to why the DL is not well accepted as an official identity document, I believe it is simply a lack of public awareness. The government has stated it, but has not spread it widely.

oplisdop

Post by oplisdop » Sat, 15 Jul 2023 8:02 pm

ok