Singapore Expats

Couple that ran off with $32m

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Couple that ran off with $32m

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 11:10 am

Nah Carlos had a passport country that welcomes his return to (although I suppose the woman has Thai citizenship and maybe is safe once she gets back there). Anyways I'm sure they'll pop up soon enough.
It does appear though that if they can get into Thailand they may be able to hide long term (see the David Rasif case).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 11:32 am

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 11:40 am

Funny though, because there are plenty of famous rich people who are sitting pretty in the UK. The UK won't deport some of them, supposedly because they don't want them to end up in jail back in their own (3rd world) countries because "human rights" 😏

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 9:12 pm

I'm sure there are plenty of places in Asia where greasing the right palms will give a new identity and relative immunity from prosecution.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 9:23 pm

You need protection though. That means having a connection to someone powerful or you just become a constant target for blackmailing.

The Great Train Robbers had that problem.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Jul 2022 3:29 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Tue, 26 Jul 2022 7:23 am
Could take a leaf out of Carlos Ghosn…smuggled out by band equipment on private jet…go all James Bond Villain with facial reconstruction lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha ha, that’s definitely a bit extreme. Remember watching a show where the criminals got away because they would check into a hotel and have plastic surgery done in the basement then leave as completely different people and practically vanish into thin air. It sounds terrifying but technically they do have the money for that! Just pray they don’t make it to turkey.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Jul 2022 3:30 am

Addadude wrote:
Tue, 26 Jul 2022 9:12 pm
I'm sure there are plenty of places in Asia where greasing the right palms will give a new identity and relative immunity from prosecution.
Most places in Asia actually, with the exception of singapore of course.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Jul 2022 3:36 am

smoulder wrote:
Tue, 26 Jul 2022 11:40 am
Funny though, because there are plenty of famous rich people who are sitting pretty in the UK. The UK won't deport some of them, supposedly because they don't want them to end up in jail back in their own (3rd world) countries because "human rights" 😏

Most first world countries offer asylum status to people persecuted or endanger in their home countries. That’s how Amos Yee left the country. Though recently singapore did refuse to accommodate the Sri Lankan President who fled here.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 28 Jul 2022 8:41 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 28 Jul 2022 3:36 am
smoulder wrote:

Most first world countries offer asylum status to people persecuted or endanger in their home countries. That’s how Amos Yee left the country. Though recently singapore did refuse to accommodate the Sri Lankan President who fled here.
Yea, they make it sound noble. Actually, it's just allowing thugs to do whatever they want and escape justice.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 28 Jul 2022 11:59 am

Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:

Not quite. They extended his SVP. Rumours are he is trying to obtain PR under the GIP (investment program).

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 29 Jul 2022 5:29 am

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 28 Jul 2022 8:41 am
Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:

Yea, they make it sound noble. Actually, it's just allowing thugs to do whatever they want and escape justice.
I think they did it to cover their behinds since the outrage would’ve been huge if they had allowed him to continue staying here. There are so many Sri Lankan nationals in singapore that I can’t imagine there wouldn’t have been massive protests.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 29 Jul 2022 5:30 am

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 28 Jul 2022 11:59 am
Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:

Not quite. They extended his SVP. Rumours are he is trying to obtain PR under the GIP (investment program).
I thought I read that they had issued him a notice to get the hell out of the country?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 29 Jul 2022 5:10 pm

Timeline and the sequence of events:
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapo ... ol-2841536

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Sat, 30 Jul 2022 11:47 am

Apparently, it seems like their scams works on selling watch to clients, normal rolexes and sorts. Then they build their trust with these customers since they have dealt and received their goods, by lavishing them with meals and invites to their home and treating the customers like their 'friends'. To gain bigger ticket watch ''investments from trusting people...I'm not sure but big ticket items like watches and houses, how can you not see if before buying...?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 4:01 am

abbby wrote:
Sat, 30 Jul 2022 11:47 am
Apparently, it seems like their scams works on selling watch to clients, normal rolexes and sorts. Then they build their trust with these customers since they have dealt and received their goods, by lavishing them with meals and invites to their home and treating the customers like their 'friends'. To gain bigger ticket watch ''investments from trusting people...I'm not sure but big ticket items like watches and houses, how can you not see if before buying...?
I guess once you’ve built up that sort of rapport with your dealer, you will trust their judgment and no longer need to scrutinize every piece that they bring your way.