Singapore Expats

Couple that ran off with $32m

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Fri, 22 Jul 2022 10:00 am

I am surprised how they could sneak away so easily...and did they actually carry $32m with them...??
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Couple that ran off with $32m

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 24 Jul 2022 4:32 am

abbby wrote:
Fri, 22 Jul 2022 10:00 am
I am surprised how they could sneak away so easily...and did they actually carry $32m with them...??
No way it was all in cash. Probably transferred the money back-and-forth until it became untraceable. Maybe offshore accounts? What’s more surprising to me is how nobody knew until they had run away. Read in an article somewhere that the man’s mother had no idea what he was involved in, must be pretty heartbreaking for her now that her son is a fugitive.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sun, 24 Jul 2022 8:55 pm

Possibly convert to diamonds and art…not too difficult to hand carry. Liquidate with some loss…

Definitely won’t be carrying a few watches, many countries monitoring those, requiring proof of purchase otherwise heavy taxation for import.

Some customs docs now require declaration of gold and derivatives…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 24 Jul 2022 8:59 pm

I doubt they got away with much. Everything was debt from what I could tell. I'm sure some of it will be recovered. Imagine trying to live a life as fugitives in this day and age? Biometric and facial recognition.... and now they are a target for every blackmailer.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Mon, 25 Jul 2022 10:08 am

I'm not sure they can sleep well at night having to fear everyday of being caught. I'm sure they would be recognized in the streets quite easily. Yup money probably transferred all over the place but maybe they might get frozen soon. The lady has similar case in Thailand in 2019, probably let off quite easily then, so performing similar ruse in Singapore.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 25 Jul 2022 10:34 am

The rumours are that they got unto Thailand but I find that doubtful unless they were smuggled into Thailand. It is not easy in either country to live without ID and if they show ID they are dead. I guess they must have access to money via nominee accounts but those nominees will be stealing the money now anyways.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Mon, 25 Jul 2022 1:46 pm

Total agree, how could one live without an ID and be able to also walk normally on the street and lead a normal life. It's really just a matter of time they get caught. But in the first place, how could driver be caught but not the fugitives...

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 25 Jul 2022 1:50 pm

abbby wrote:
Mon, 25 Jul 2022 1:46 pm
Total agree, how could one live without an ID and be able to also walk normally on the street and lead a normal life. It's really just a matter of time they get caught. But in the first place, how could driver be caught but not the fugitives...
I think ICA were requested to go back through their records as the driver seems to be have arrested later on. They use weight and Xrays - they don't necessarily check everyone but can go back through their records. They probably have XRays or maybe IR images showing two humans inside a container. Nasty radiation dose!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 4:05 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Sun, 24 Jul 2022 8:55 pm
Possibly convert to diamonds and art…not too difficult to hand carry. Liquidate with some loss…

Definitely won’t be carrying a few watches, many countries monitoring those, requiring proof of purchase otherwise heavy taxation for import.

Some customs docs now require declaration of gold and derivatives…

I think art would be terribly easy to identify, so probably not that. Perhaps they bought a lot of e currency like bitcoin?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 4:06 am

PNGMK wrote:
Sun, 24 Jul 2022 8:59 pm
I doubt they got away with much. Everything was debt from what I could tell. I'm sure some of it will be recovered. Imagine trying to live a life as fugitives in this day and age? Biometric and facial recognition.... and now they are a target for every blackmailer.
Exactly, 40 years ago maybe they would have a chance of running away but now with all the new facial recognition technology and extensive security measures it almost seems like a futile effort to try and run.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 4:07 am

abbby wrote:
Mon, 25 Jul 2022 10:08 am
I'm not sure they can sleep well at night having to fear everyday of being caught. I'm sure they would be recognized in the streets quite easily. Yup money probably transferred all over the place but maybe they might get frozen soon. The lady has similar case in Thailand in 2019, probably let off quite easily then, so performing similar ruse in Singapore.
My thoughts exactly. More than anything, it must be so stressful to be on the run. Certainly not a good way to live, when you can get caught any second. Even if you did leave with the money, what’s the point if you can’t use it and live a good life?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 4:09 am

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 25 Jul 2022 10:34 am
The rumours are that they got unto Thailand but I find that doubtful unless they were smuggled into Thailand. It is not easy in either country to live without ID and if they show ID they are dead. I guess they must have access to money via nominee accounts but those nominees will be stealing the money now anyways.
Don’t think you can live anywhere in Asia without solid ID. They were almost definitely smuggled, or perhaps they bribed border control officials. Not like they don’t have the money to do so.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 4:10 am

abbby wrote:
I really just think this whole thing was poorly thought out. I think most of it was on impulse and they never thought they’d get this far. But even so, if that’s the case I can’t imagine why they would do it.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 4:11 am

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 25 Jul 2022 1:50 pm
abbby wrote:
I think ICA were requested to go back through their records as the driver seems to be have arrested later on. They use weight and Xrays - they don't necessarily check everyone but can go back through their records. They probably have XRays or maybe IR images showing two humans inside a container. Nasty radiation dose!
Have you seen the pictures from American border control? They x-ray all the vehicles entering from Mexico and oftentimes the images capture humans deep within the crevices of large vehicles, or in oil drums in shipping containers. It’s pretty scary looking.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 7:23 am

Could take a leaf out of Carlos Ghosn…smuggled out by band equipment on private jet…go all James Bond Villain with facial reconstruction lol

There's always room for one more