Singapore Expats

PR/SC Chances 2022

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: PR/SC Chances 2022

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 23 Jul 2022 12:50 pm

NYY1 wrote:
Thu, 21 Jul 2022 11:46 am
gold.spot wrote:
Thu, 21 Jul 2022 10:19 am
Approximately 30k PR given in a year. Approximately 20k SC given in a year.

If you do the simple math, you can see that PR numbers grow faster than citizenship registrations. If you are PR, your SC application can be rejected. And yes, both PR and SC are given out with a view of balancing the race percentages.
I think the first part in italics is correct, and it is definitely true that SC application can be rejected (i.e. PR does not guarantee SC x years down the road).

However, I am not so sure the PR numbers grow faster than citizenship registrations. At least for the last five years, total PR population was ~0.52-0.53 million before the drop associated with COVID. If you add 30k and convert 20k, it implies 10k were given up (or REP not renewed) to keep the total number at 0.52-0.53 million? 10k on 500k is about 2%, which could be for any number of reasons.

Point being, even for the smaller buckets I'm not sure it is like the odds are getting worse every year because there are more PRs issued than SCs (for any particular group). Of course, if the PR balance is in fact changing, then that would be a different story.
Looking at how developed countries especially the UK and Europe cannot get their sh!t together, it seems the demand for SG PR is only going to increase and it is going to become more and more difficult.

Also Hong Kong and China too have now joined that list of countries who like to score self goals and screw up their countries. All those people would find Singapore like an oasis in the desert. ICA can pick and choose whom to award the coveted PR title.

I see no hope for most average people. Better to just enjoy Singapore on EP while you can for as long as possible and then move back to your own country

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Sat, 23 Jul 2022 5:34 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Sat, 23 Jul 2022 12:50 pm
I see no hope for most average people.
Eh, my very average non-expat husband just got PR though. Though I suppose family ties scheme by being married to a local and me owning a house under my name probably proved I can support both of us which might have tilted things in his favour.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sat, 23 Jul 2022 6:03 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Sat, 23 Jul 2022 5:34 pm
Wd40 wrote:
Eh, my very average non-expat husband just got PR though. Though I suppose family ties scheme by being married to a local and me owning a house under my name probably proved I can support both of us which might have tilted things in his favour.
Yes. There's a lot of weightage given for integration. At least for now.

The other group that gets it easily, even less than average profiles are Malaysian Chinese.

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Post by nelyanne » Sun, 24 Jul 2022 5:51 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
I would say that being a 'non-expat' might even help.
You cannot compare applying through family schema to applying through professional schema. 2 totally different stories.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 4:46 pm

Wd40 wrote:
NYY1 wrote:
Thu, 21 Jul 2022 11:46 am
gold.spot wrote:
Thu, 21 Jul 2022 10:19 am
Approximately 30k PR given in a year. Approximately 20k SC given in a year.

If you do the simple math, you can see that PR numbers grow faster than citizenship registrations. If you are PR, your SC application can be rejected. And yes, both PR and SC are given out with a view of balancing the race percentages.
I think the first part in italics is correct, and it is definitely true that SC application can be rejected (i.e. PR does not guarantee SC x years down the road).

However, I am not so sure the PR numbers grow faster than citizenship registrations. At least for the last five years, total PR population was ~0.52-0.53 million before the drop associated with COVID. If you add 30k and convert 20k, it implies 10k were given up (or REP not renewed) to keep the total number at 0.52-0.53 million? 10k on 500k is about 2%, which could be for any number of reasons.

Point being, even for the smaller buckets I'm not sure it is like the odds are getting worse every year because there are more PRs issued than SCs (for any particular group). Of course, if the PR balance is in fact changing, then that would be a different story.
Looking at how developed countries especially the UK and Europe cannot get their sh!t together, it seems the demand for SG PR is only going to increase and it is going to become more and more difficult.

Also Hong Kong and China too have now joined that list of countries who like to score self goals and screw up their countries. All those people would find Singapore like an oasis in the desert. ICA can pick and choose whom to award the coveted PR title.

I see no hope for most average people. Better to just enjoy Singapore on EP while you can for as long as possible and then move back to your own country
You’re definitely right about demand for SG PR going up. Singapore, contrasted against the hellish landscape of most other countries, is a far more appealing option so naturally people are going to want to move here. Not sure that there’s no hope for most people though, I’m sure they stand just as far a chance individually, may just have to compete with a larger pool of applicants.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 4:47 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
Definitely helped. The government is all about families, so I see no reason why they would deny him if he was applying as your spouse. Very average is a funny way to describe him though!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 4:49 pm

smoulder wrote:
Fri, 22 Jul 2022 11:19 am
kjose88 wrote:
Fri, 22 Jul 2022 10:54 am
vikram_khanna wrote:
Fri, 22 Jul 2022 1:54 am
Am I not the ideal immigrant family? Do they want rich 1st world folks who can invest and spend a lot of money in SG?
It's quite obvious that you're not ideal race for PR. But you can do your best to be an ideal immigrant family and marriage/children are necessary ingredients for that. Also, if you think PR is only granted to rich folks, you should browse through this forum and you'll find PR being given to folks who are not even earning 1/5th of what your earn.
Conversely, there are folks who earn double or triple of what he earns and are still unable to "crack the code"!
Right! I’m sure there is an ideal range of salaries, but in general they should be taken with a pinch of salt. As long as you aren’t making so little that you’re considered a liability or so much that you are a flight risk, you should be fine. As for what that range is? We can only speculate.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 4:50 pm

mystic_river wrote:
Fri, 22 Jul 2022 9:00 am
MOCHS wrote:
Fri, 22 Jul 2022 7:50 am

ICA does not publish what they are looking for so people don’t try to game the system. If you read the forum though, you can decipher what they want: Married, child-bearing age, integrated into Singapore, able to support themselves financially, etc. Of course, it’s not 100% guaranteed since they look at other stuff we don’t know about.
Technically, they do publish what they want. Just that we have no idea how much weightage they give to each of these factors.

From ICA’s website:

ICA considers factors such as the individual's family ties to Singaporeans, economic contributions, qualifications, age, family profile and length of residency, to assess the applicant's ability to contribute to Singapore and integrate into our society, as well as his or her commitment to sinking roots in Singapore.
Because the ICA publishes very arbitrary criteria, there’s not a lot to go off on so your job as an applicant is to do what you can to try and fit this criteria. Seems easy right?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 4:52 pm

smoulder wrote:
Fri, 22 Jul 2022 12:22 pm
kjose88 wrote:
Fri, 22 Jul 2022 12:06 pm
smoulder wrote:
Fri, 22 Jul 2022 11:32 am
The other point is about bringing your parents here (should you be able to become a PR or citizen) - I'm not sure if that's really something that people do. I'm not quite sure why not, but the fact that it isn't very common, means that there are probably good reasons to not do that.
Regarding bringing in parents, I think SG is one of the best choice in terms of how easy it is to bring parents along with you for long term if you are PR/Citizen. I am comparing with countries like UK, USA and Australia where you can bring parents max for 6 months in a year on tourist visa. Canada is an exception where you can get supervisa or even PR for your parents through a relatively less cumbersome process. As to why people don't bring old age parents as much in SG, I think it might be due to involved medical costs (if required) considering no subsidies for LTVP.
Yup, I am fully aware of the ease in bringing in parents. I'm a PR and my wife is a citizen. But like you said, the deterrents could be medical costs. I know that it is a factor when we considered my mother in law staying here long term. Obviously it will be troublesome at best to apply for a new medical insurance policy and it would have too many restrictions.
Another factor is just general cost of living. It’s a lot more expensive to retire here than somewhere else like the US or one of the Caribbean islands for example.