Singapore Expats

Driving into Malaysia

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Driving into Malaysia

Post by malcontent » Tue, 19 Jul 2022 11:42 pm

Until this last weekend, I hadn’t driven into Malaysia since the pandemic. You might wonder… what was required to enter? Well, it wasn’t vaccine certificates or any contact tracing app. And it also wasn’t the Vehicle Entry Permit (VEP) which was rumored to be required since 2019 but never really got off the ground.

What was required (and I’m sure a lot of people do not have it) is a Touch’N’Go card with Ringgit loaded. If you had an old card (like us) the card is probably invalid… this happens after just 12 months of non-use! Can it be reactivated? No, you can only request a refund for the unused balance, which is obviously a real pain. They also charge RM5 every 6 months of dormancy, so even though the card is made invalid and can’t be used or reactivated, they still charge the fee. How great is that?

Now, you would think that since so many people would be in this situation after the pandemic, they would have some alternative… but no — you must pay RM20 with a TnG card, or you are out of luck! This card cannot be bought or loaded in Singapore, so what are people supposed to do? No cash accepted, and no alternatives. This is just plain dumb. Fortunately I had RM20 in cash and we found someone willing to let us borrow their TnG card. Next stop was the toll booth that charged a little under RM4 and was supposed to sell the TnG card. They had no stock of the card… probably because they never thought about the surge in demand when borders reopened. Ugh, it’s just utterly and completely pathetic, no matter which way you look at it.

And of course, nobody knows when the Malaysia VEP will start getting enforced, but they haven’t gotten their stuff together and probably won’t anytime soon. But it’s always nice to have that uncertainty hanging over your head. Even third world countries can do a better job than this. It’s just outright shameful.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Re: Driving into Malaysia

Post by Myasis Dragon » Wed, 20 Jul 2022 12:23 pm

That's Malaysia for you. Everything half works and when you toss in a bit of corruption, everybody gets a cut out of your wallet.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Wed, 20 Jul 2022 1:05 pm

malaysia boleh

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 20 Jul 2022 1:35 pm

I have done some additional digging since the trip and found a few new developments.

1. There is a new NETS+TnG card that can be purchased in Singapore, but the TnG wallet on this card can only be loaded in Malaysia… so you are stuck with the same problem - no way to load ringgit before being asked to pay. This is effectively no more useful than buying a TnG card in Malaysia, and with the same downsides.

2. TnG has come out with a new “enhanced” card that allows you to use your phone’s NFC to top up the card, even outside Malaysia. Unfortunately these are only sold in Malaysia, but if you can get your hands on one, at least you can top up RM10 before 12 months to keep it active. Apparently this enhanced card has sold out within hours every time they release a new batch, so you can only buy these from scalpers online.

3. You can allegedly use the eWallet app to connect your credit card to your TnG card so that when the balance goes below $0 it will just deduct from your credit card - however, this must not be a popular option because I haven’t found anyone online commenting that it actually works. And, I have to assume the same 12 month (use it or lose it) rule applies.

Overall, it seems like #2 is the best option for infrequent border crossers based in SG… if you can get your hands on one.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 20 Jul 2022 6:11 pm

Seems you can buy both types of the cards from places like carousell and lazada.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 20 Jul 2022 11:52 pm

I think you can use a TnG app on your phone with NFC as well. That is what I've been told.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 21 Jul 2022 12:19 am

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 20 Jul 2022 11:52 pm
I think you can use a TnG app on your phone with NFC as well. That is what I've been told.
Yes, but only the new “enhanced” TnG card, which scalpers are selling online.

They are sold out from official sources.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 21 Jul 2022 12:21 am

x9200 wrote:
Wed, 20 Jul 2022 6:11 pm
Seems you can buy both types of the cards from places like carousell and lazada.
Owning a TnG card is pretty useless unless you can get ringgit onto the card and keep it from going dormant/invalid after 12 months.

I would definitely get the enhanced one. There are YouTube videos proving it can be topped up with NFC on your phone, but it can take several attempts.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 21 Jul 2022 11:47 am

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 21 Jul 2022 12:19 am
PNGMK wrote:

You can't use a phone directly on the readers at the toll booths?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 21 Jul 2022 4:48 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 21 Jul 2022 11:47 am
malcontent wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

No, not that I’m aware of. You can get an RFID device to pair with your TnG card if you want to breeze through the toll gates without stopping. But for infrequent users like myself, that would be major overkill.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 22 Jul 2022 2:16 am

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 19 Jul 2022 11:42 pm
Until this last weekend, I hadn’t driven into Malaysia since the pandemic. You might wonder… what was required to enter? Well, it wasn’t vaccine certificates or any contact tracing app. And it also wasn’t the Vehicle Entry Permit (VEP) which was rumored to be required since 2019 but never really got off the ground.

What was required (and I’m sure a lot of people do not have it) is a Touch’N’Go card with Ringgit loaded. If you had an old card (like us) the card is probably invalid… this happens after just 12 months of non-use! Can it be reactivated? No, you can only request a refund for the unused balance, which is obviously a real pain. They also charge RM5 every 6 months of dormancy, so even though the card is made invalid and can’t be used or reactivated, they still charge the fee. How great is that?

Now, you would think that since so many people would be in this situation after the pandemic, they would have some alternative… but no — you must pay RM20 with a TnG card, or you are out of luck! This card cannot be bought or loaded in Singapore, so what are people supposed to do? No cash accepted, and no alternatives. This is just plain dumb. Fortunately I had RM20 in cash and we found someone willing to let us borrow their TnG card. Next stop was the toll booth that charged a little under RM4 and was supposed to sell the TnG card. They had no stock of the card… probably because they never thought about the surge in demand when borders reopened. Ugh, it’s just utterly and completely pathetic, no matter which way you look at it.

And of course, nobody knows when the Malaysia VEP will start getting enforced, but they haven’t gotten their stuff together and probably won’t anytime soon. But it’s always nice to have that uncertainty hanging over your head. Even third world countries can do a better job than this. It’s just outright shameful.
The inefficiencies of Malaysia will never fail to surprise me.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 22 Jul 2022 2:17 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Wed, 20 Jul 2022 12:23 pm
That's Malaysia for you. Everything half works and when you toss in a bit of corruption, everybody gets a cut out of your wallet.
I’ve heard that if you don’t have the care on you you can just slip the officer a little dough and you’ll pass through no problem. Not sure if this is still the case but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 22 Jul 2022 2:18 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 20 Jul 2022 1:35 pm
I have done some additional digging since the trip and found a few new developments.

1. There is a new NETS+TnG card that can be purchased in Singapore, but the TnG wallet on this card can only be loaded in Malaysia… so you are stuck with the same problem - no way to load ringgit before being asked to pay. This is effectively no more useful than buying a TnG card in Malaysia, and with the same downsides.

2. TnG has come out with a new “enhanced” card that allows you to use your phone’s NFC to top up the card, even outside Malaysia. Unfortunately these are only sold in Malaysia, but if you can get your hands on one, at least you can top up RM10 before 12 months to keep it active. Apparently this enhanced card has sold out within hours every time they release a new batch, so you can only buy these from scalpers online.

3. You can allegedly use the eWallet app to connect your credit card to your TnG card so that when the balance goes below $0 it will just deduct from your credit card - however, this must not be a popular option because I haven’t found anyone online commenting that it actually works. And, I have to assume the same 12 month (use it or lose it) rule applies.

Overall, it seems like #2 is the best option for infrequent border crossers based in SG… if you can get your hands on one.
Number one makes this such a Circular problem. You can’t enter without the card but you can’t activate the card without first entering. How ridiculous!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 22 Jul 2022 2:19 am

x9200 wrote:
Wed, 20 Jul 2022 6:11 pm
Yup, but from what I understand you can’t get them preloaded with money Which essentially defeats the purpose.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 22 Jul 2022 2:19 am

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 21 Jul 2022 11:47 am
malcontent wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

As if they would have that sort of technology! I’m surprised we don’t have to pay with travelers checks!