Singapore Expats

Planning my move to Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Post Reply
Roadtosingapore
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 10:26 pm

Planning my move to Singapore

Post by Roadtosingapore » Sat, 16 Jul 2022 10:42 pm

Hello Expats,

Hope everyone is keeping well.

I am currently living in the UK and have been offered to move to the Singapore for work.

We are family of 4 myself, wife and two kids (4 and 9 years old).

I am looking for suggestion around expected income/salary in Singapore to lead a decent life.

Given Singapore government is encouraging jobs for local and PRs, what is the likelihood of someone on a dependant visa securing EP while living in the country?

Thank you in advance for your advise.

User avatar
SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 3:41 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Planning my move to Singapore

Post by SGBoyxxx » Sun, 17 Jul 2022 7:01 pm

I not expat , local here. I not sure your " decent life " is like how. SG going to increase GST hike next year. Next currently inflation etc.

LOL I don't know since i not expats but I saw my neighbourhood condo lots of expats staying there , the rental i guess per month is few k. Now condo rental in SG cost few k depend which locations.

The cheapest is on Public Housing aka call HDB which I stay and 90 percent of the locals stay in HDB beside some earn more stay in Condo. Only roughly just few percent stay in landed house.

smoulder
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1321
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Planning my move to Singapore

Post by smoulder » Sun, 17 Jul 2022 9:28 pm

Expected income to lead a good life? How long is a piece of string? No one knows what you earn there, how old you are, how much experience, what you do and how much you spend in the "UK" (where there are probably different living costs depending on location).

Similar answer for the dependent getting an EP to work.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6211
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Planning my move to Singapore

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 18 Jul 2022 4:31 am

SGBoyxxx wrote:
Sun, 17 Jul 2022 7:01 pm
I not expat , local here. I not sure your " decent life " is like how. SG going to increase GST hike next year. Next currently inflation etc.

LOL I don't know since i not expats but I saw my neighbourhood condo lots of expats staying there , the rental i guess per month is few k. Now condo rental in SG cost few k depend which locations.

The cheapest is on Public Housing aka call HDB which I stay and 90 percent of the locals stay in HDB beside some earn more stay in Condo. Only roughly just few percent stay in landed house.
Something I learned a couple years ago is that over 80% of the local population stay in HDBs, while the rest are spread out into different types of private housing.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6211
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Planning my move to Singapore

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 18 Jul 2022 4:32 am

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 17 Jul 2022 9:28 pm
Expected income to lead a good life? How long is a piece of string? No one knows what you earn there, how old you are, how much experience, what you do and how much you spend in the "UK" (where there are probably different living costs depending on location).

Similar answer for the dependent getting an EP to work.
Great answer smoulder, my thoughts exactly. Income is so subjective and while cost of living can be estimated through a mix of statistical and anecdotal data, it’s very difficult to discern quality of life in the sense that in itself is so arbitrary. It’s truly a case of to each his own.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6211
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Planning my move to Singapore

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 18 Jul 2022 4:35 am

Roadtosingapore wrote:
Sat, 16 Jul 2022 10:42 pm
Hello Expats,

Hope everyone is keeping well.

I am currently living in the UK and have been offered to move to the Singapore for work.

We are family of 4 myself, wife and two kids (4 and 9 years old).

I am looking for suggestion around expected income/salary in Singapore to lead a decent life.

Given Singapore government is encouraging jobs for local and PRs, what is the likelihood of someone on a dependant visa securing EP while living in the country?

Thank you in advance for your advise.
Costs are enormously varied, depending on a number of factors. Some basic ones include type of housing, duration of lease which will in turn affect your rent, type of school, car or no car and other day-to-day expenses. Sure you can say that you’ll be OK scrimping and saving, having your kids go to local schools, taking public transport and shopping at the wet market, but most of it is easier said than done, and chances are you won’t be happy doing so when it comes down to it. You’ll have to be more specific with your question.

User avatar
SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 3:41 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Planning my move to Singapore

Post by SGBoyxxx » Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:45 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 18 Jul 2022 4:31 am
SGBoyxxx wrote:
Sun, 17 Jul 2022 7:01 pm
I not expat , local here. I not sure your " decent life " is like how. SG going to increase GST hike next year. Next currently inflation etc.

LOL I don't know since i not expats but I saw my neighbourhood condo lots of expats staying there , the rental i guess per month is few k. Now condo rental in SG cost few k depend which locations.

The cheapest is on Public Housing aka call HDB which I stay and 90 percent of the locals stay in HDB beside some earn more stay in Condo. Only roughly just few percent stay in landed house.
Something I learned a couple years ago is that over 80% of the local population stay in HDBs, while the rest are spread out into different types of private housing.
actually should be more partly Due to Covi19, and now inflation etc. Economics actually not say good.
Next " recession might happen "

Some trying to sell off their condo downgrade stay in HDB flat.
Of course some looking for " cheaper deals " partly some urgent need cash to aid their business or got financial problem so don't mind sell cheaper for their condo even landed house.

Another group of people will be buying it.

Roadtosingapore
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 10:26 pm

Re: Planning my move to Singapore

Post by Roadtosingapore » Mon, 18 Jul 2022 2:16 pm

Thanks for responding to my query. Do expat have an option to rent a HDB flat?

Here is my definition of leading a decent life -

1) 3 bedroom flat (close to the transport that connects you to the main city center / downtown)
2) International School for kids (school following British curriculum)
3) Weekend trips to local attraction and eating out 1-2 times per week (no alcoholic beverages)
4) Public transport / Uber
5) Access to swimming pool / Health clubs

I think the cost for above will give me a good idea about expected monthly expenditure.

I will be earning around 16k per month.

User avatar
SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 3:41 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Planning my move to Singapore

Post by SGBoyxxx » Mon, 18 Jul 2022 3:44 pm

Roadtosingapore wrote:
Mon, 18 Jul 2022 2:16 pm
Thanks for responding to my query. Do expat have an option to rent a HDB flat?

Here is my definition of leading a decent life -

1) 3 bedroom flat (close to the transport that connects you to the main city center / downtown)
2) International School for kids (school following British curriculum)
3) Weekend trips to local attraction and eating out 1-2 times per week (no alcoholic beverages)
4) Public transport / Uber
5) Access to swimming pool / Health clubs

I think the cost for above will give me a good idea about expected monthly expenditure.

I will be earning around 16k per month.
16k per month ?? Already consider good and a lot in SG for workers.

base on your salary can rent a condo in fact still got spare for daily needs even come leisure.
Again every countries are the same come rental. Near central areas will tend to cost more same apply in SG.

weekend trip in SG , maybe you can explore neighbours in SG around simply take MRT which can easy access anywhere.

DO note owning a car in SG is expensive.

nelyanne
Regular
Regular
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 1:18 pm

Re: Planning my move to Singapore

Post by nelyanne » Mon, 18 Jul 2022 4:42 pm

Roadtosingapore wrote:
Mon, 18 Jul 2022 2:16 pm
Thanks for responding to my query. Do expat have an option to rent a HDB flat?

Here is my definition of leading a decent life -

1) 3 bedroom flat (close to the transport that connects you to the main city center / downtown)
2) International School for kids (school following British curriculum)
3) Weekend trips to local attraction and eating out 1-2 times per week (no alcoholic beverages)
4) Public transport / Uber
5) Access to swimming pool / Health clubs

I think the cost for above will give me a good idea about expected monthly expenditure.

I will be earning around 16k per month.
1) 3.8k+ for a condo (+bills)
2) not sue but maybe 6k+
3)
most expensive attraction: Universal Studios
cheapest attraction: beaches, nature parks (free)
cinema: ~13 SGD for a ticket (for adult)
eating out:
cheapest: 4 SGD/pax
cheap restaurant: 12-20 SGD/pax
mid restaurant: 30SGD+
expensive restuarant: sky is the limit
4) public transport: 1-2.2S GD per trip (one-way), Grab/Taxi/Gojek - 10-25 SGD for an average trip
5) pool will be included in condo rental

Getting a job on DP: depends on experience, position, sector...
(doctor - high chance, teacher - good chance, HR/admin job - low chance)

User avatar
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2649
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Answers: 8
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: Planning my move to Singapore

Post by malcontent » Wed, 20 Jul 2022 3:50 pm

Roadtosingapore wrote:
Mon, 18 Jul 2022 2:16 pm
Thanks for responding to my query. Do expat have an option to rent a HDB flat?

Here is my definition of leading a decent life -

1) 3 bedroom flat (close to the transport that connects you to the main city center / downtown)
2) International School for kids (school following British curriculum)
3) Weekend trips to local attraction and eating out 1-2 times per week (no alcoholic beverages)
4) Public transport / Uber
5) Access to swimming pool / Health clubs

I think the cost for above will give me a good idea about expected monthly expenditure.

I will be earning around 16k per month.
1) Rental for a 3 bedroom unit can vary widely, from $4k for a 110sqm basic condo in the outskirts (e.g. Upper Bukit Timah) all the way to $16k per month for a 270sqm luxury condo in prime locations (e.g. Claymore).

2) International school fees vary; it can be under $30k per year for a younger child attending a less prominent international school with British curriculum… to over $45k per year for older kids at a more prominent international school with British curriculum (e.g. Tanglin Trust).

3) There are not many weekend trips to be had from here unless you fly, for example, the only halfway decent beach resorts would be Desaru by car/ferry, or Bintan by ferry. You can do a 2D1N weekend in Desaru by car for as little as $250, and Bintan for $500; and that includes everything for the whole family. If you do fly (to Bali or Phuket for example) you will want a 4 day weekend, minimum, typical budget for a family of four is $3,000-4,000, but $2,000 is possible on a shoestring. Eating out here can almost be cheaper than eating in, if you can adapt to local hawker fare. But at a nice sit down restaurant… expect to spend $30-35 per head.

4) Public transport is not even worth talking about, you can easily get by on less than $100 a month per person taking the train and bus.

5) Swimming pool, gym, tennis and/or squash courts should all come with your condo, check before you sign the lease.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6211
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Planning my move to Singapore

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 22 Jul 2022 2:35 am

SGBoyxxx wrote:
Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:45 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 18 Jul 2022 4:31 am
SGBoyxxx wrote:
Sun, 17 Jul 2022 7:01 pm
I not expat , local here. I not sure your " decent life " is like how. SG going to increase GST hike next year. Next currently inflation etc.

LOL I don't know since i not expats but I saw my neighbourhood condo lots of expats staying there , the rental i guess per month is few k. Now condo rental in SG cost few k depend which locations.

The cheapest is on Public Housing aka call HDB which I stay and 90 percent of the locals stay in HDB beside some earn more stay in Condo. Only roughly just few percent stay in landed house.
Something I learned a couple years ago is that over 80% of the local population stay in HDBs, while the rest are spread out into different types of private housing.
actually should be more partly Due to Covi19, and now inflation etc. Economics actually not say good.
Next " recession might happen "

Some trying to sell off their condo downgrade stay in HDB flat.
Of course some looking for " cheaper deals " partly some urgent need cash to aid their business or got financial problem so don't mind sell cheaper for their condo even landed house.

Another group of people will be buying it.
Actually think more people upgraded to condos or landed housing from HDBs during the pandemic because prices were so crazy low.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6211
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Planning my move to Singapore

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 22 Jul 2022 2:37 am

Roadtosingapore wrote:
Mon, 18 Jul 2022 2:16 pm
Thanks for responding to my query. Do expat have an option to rent a HDB flat?

Here is my definition of leading a decent life -

1) 3 bedroom flat (close to the transport that connects you to the main city center / downtown)
2) International School for kids (school following British curriculum)
3) Weekend trips to local attraction and eating out 1-2 times per week (no alcoholic beverages)
4) Public transport / Uber
5) Access to swimming pool / Health clubs

I think the cost for above will give me a good idea about expected monthly expenditure.

I will be earning around 16k per month.
If you’re referring to government flats they’re incredibly small and there are quite a number of hoops you would have to jump through as a foreigner in order to rent. Also there are no facilities or amenities so you would have to purchase a club membership separately. For these reasons it is far more preferable for you to stay in a condo. Other members have given you a more detailed cost breakdown, but generally for a condo of decent build and size you should expect to pay at least $4-5K a month.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6211
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Planning my move to Singapore

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 22 Jul 2022 2:37 am

SGBoyxxx wrote:
Mon, 18 Jul 2022 3:44 pm
Roadtosingapore wrote:
Mon, 18 Jul 2022 2:16 pm
Thanks for responding to my query. Do expat have an option to rent a HDB flat?

Here is my definition of leading a decent life -

1) 3 bedroom flat (close to the transport that connects you to the main city center / downtown)
2) International School for kids (school following British curriculum)
3) Weekend trips to local attraction and eating out 1-2 times per week (no alcoholic beverages)
4) Public transport / Uber
5) Access to swimming pool / Health clubs

I think the cost for above will give me a good idea about expected monthly expenditure.

I will be earning around 16k per month.
16k per month ?? Already consider good and a lot in SG for workers.

base on your salary can rent a condo in fact still got spare for daily needs even come leisure.
Again every countries are the same come rental. Near central areas will tend to cost more same apply in SG.

weekend trip in SG , maybe you can explore neighbours in SG around simply take MRT which can easy access anywhere.

DO note owning a car in SG is expensive.
Owning a new car in Singapore is expensive. A secondhand car brings costs down dramatically, but not everyone is into that.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6211
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Planning my move to Singapore

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 22 Jul 2022 2:40 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 20 Jul 2022 3:50 pm
Roadtosingapore wrote:
Mon, 18 Jul 2022 2:16 pm
Thanks for responding to my query. Do expat have an option to rent a HDB flat?

Here is my definition of leading a decent life -

1) 3 bedroom flat (close to the transport that connects you to the main city center / downtown)
2) International School for kids (school following British curriculum)
3) Weekend trips to local attraction and eating out 1-2 times per week (no alcoholic beverages)
4) Public transport / Uber
5) Access to swimming pool / Health clubs

I think the cost for above will give me a good idea about expected monthly expenditure.

I will be earning around 16k per month.
1) Rental for a 3 bedroom unit can vary widely, from $4k for a 110sqm basic condo in the outskirts (e.g. Upper Bukit Timah) all the way to $16k per month for a 270sqm luxury condo in prime locations (e.g. Claymore).

2) International school fees vary; it can be under $30k per year for a younger child attending a less prominent international school with British curriculum… to over $45k per year for older kids at a more prominent international school with British curriculum (e.g. Tanglin Trust).

3) There are not many weekend trips to be had from here unless you fly, for example, the only halfway decent beach resorts would be Desaru by car/ferry, or Bintan by ferry. You can do a 2D1N weekend in Desaru by car for as little as $250, and Bintan for $500; and that includes everything for the whole family. If you do fly (to Bali or Phuket for example) you will want a 4 day weekend, minimum, typical budget for a family of four is $3,000-4,000, but $2,000 is possible on a shoestring. Eating out here can almost be cheaper than eating in, if you can adapt to local hawker fare. But at a nice sit down restaurant… expect to spend $30-35 per head.

4) Public transport is not even worth talking about, you can easily get by on less than $100 a month per person taking the train and bus.

5) Swimming pool, gym, tennis and/or squash courts should all come with your condo, check before you sign the lease.
As for the point about eating at restaurants, at least we don’t have to tip! That helps bring costs down quite a bit - in the US we spend 30 a head on food alone, then tax is added and the 20-25% tip depending on service. Before you know it you’re over 40 a head, really expensive!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sivasbeleaf and 1 guest