Vertigo during covid

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Post Reply
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5940
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Vertigo during covid

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 16 Jul 2022 7:43 pm

Well, it finally happened. I caught the big C after 2+ years of avoiding it. I guess this third wave really is a thing. Some of the forum regulars may have noticed I’ve been gone the last two weeks, this is why. Feels great to finally be out in public again, but having Covid was pretty miserable. I had a high fever, blocked nose, cough and sore throat, which was expected, but what I didn’t expect was the dizziness. Every time I would lay down it would feel like the entire room was spinning and I couldn’t even really see. If I would stand up too quickly the same thing would happen. Not sure if anyone else experienced this symptom?

User avatar
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2372
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Answers: 3
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: Vertigo during covid

Post by malcontent » Sat, 16 Jul 2022 8:03 pm

I have chronic vertigo (unrelated to Covid) and I recommend using a basic decongestant to avoid the risk of vertigo. There is a prescription medicine (Antivert) but I found taking this makes me feel almost as bad as the vertigo. Fortunately in my case, vertigo hasn’t been debilitating, and doesn’t hit me frequently… maybe once every couple of years. But when it does, it’s a horrible experience that can only be appreciated by those who have had it.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

smoulder
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1259
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Vertigo during covid

Post by smoulder » Sat, 16 Jul 2022 9:00 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 16 Jul 2022 7:43 pm
Well, it finally happened. I caught the big C after 2+ years of avoiding it. I guess this third wave really is a thing. Some of the forum regulars may have noticed I’ve been gone the last two weeks, this is why. Feels great to finally be out in public again, but having Covid was pretty miserable. I had a high fever, blocked nose, cough and sore throat, which was expected, but what I didn’t expect was the dizziness. Every time I would lay down it would feel like the entire room was spinning and I couldn’t even really see. If I would stand up too quickly the same thing would happen. Not sure if anyone else experienced this symptom?
Sounds like your symptoms were a bit more severe, presumably without being absolutely dire (for example requiring oxygen).

I had covid too for the first time. Just recovered a few days ago - at it's height, I had a running nose, slight fever for 2 days and a dull ache all over my torso. I think I've definitely felt worse from flu in the past so this was quite mild. In fact I worked for the first 3 days that I felt lousy - I mean really worked long hours. So basically they gave me arcoxia for my body ache - I took one and felt better shortly after. That was the only drug I took. The rest of the time, I basically rested and drank plenty of warm fluids.

I'm guessing that maybe blocked sinus could be a reason why you felt the vertigo like symptoms.

smoulder
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1259
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Vertigo during covid

Post by smoulder » Sat, 16 Jul 2022 9:07 pm

Also, just to give you an idea of how not severe the symptoms were - I jogged 5 kms to pick up my free test kits. 2 days after I tested positive.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5940
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Vertigo during covid

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 18 Jul 2022 4:22 am

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 16 Jul 2022 8:03 pm
I have chronic vertigo (unrelated to Covid) and I recommend using a basic decongestant to avoid the risk of vertigo. There is a prescription medicine (Antivert) but I found taking this makes me feel almost as bad as the vertigo. Fortunately in my case, vertigo hasn’t been debilitating, and doesn’t hit me frequently… maybe once every couple of years. But when it does, it’s a horrible experience that can only be appreciated by those who have had it.
Thankfully since I’ve recovered it hasn’t really been much of a problem. But at the height of my Covid it was pretty debilitating, I wouldn’t be able to get out of bed as I was afraid I’d fall. Couldn’t even use my phone or read while I was in bed because my vision was so blurred.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5940
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Vertigo during covid

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 18 Jul 2022 4:23 am

smoulder wrote:
Sat, 16 Jul 2022 9:00 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 16 Jul 2022 7:43 pm
Well, it finally happened. I caught the big C after 2+ years of avoiding it. I guess this third wave really is a thing. Some of the forum regulars may have noticed I’ve been gone the last two weeks, this is why. Feels great to finally be out in public again, but having Covid was pretty miserable. I had a high fever, blocked nose, cough and sore throat, which was expected, but what I didn’t expect was the dizziness. Every time I would lay down it would feel like the entire room was spinning and I couldn’t even really see. If I would stand up too quickly the same thing would happen. Not sure if anyone else experienced this symptom?
Sounds like your symptoms were a bit more severe, presumably without being absolutely dire (for example requiring oxygen).

I had covid too for the first time. Just recovered a few days ago - at it's height, I had a running nose, slight fever for 2 days and a dull ache all over my torso. I think I've definitely felt worse from flu in the past so this was quite mild. In fact I worked for the first 3 days that I felt lousy - I mean really worked long hours. So basically they gave me arcoxia for my body ache - I took one and felt better shortly after. That was the only drug I took. The rest of the time, I basically rested and drank plenty of warm fluids.

I'm guessing that maybe blocked sinus could be a reason why you felt the vertigo like symptoms.
The first two days I was so weak I couldn’t even visit the doctor. Fever was around 38.7° at its highest, and didn’t go down until day three. Luckily MOM doesn’t require an MC for sickleave so I didn’t need to visit a doctor at all, just calmly took some panadol and hoped the symptoms would subside.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5940
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Vertigo during covid

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 18 Jul 2022 4:24 am

smoulder wrote:
Sat, 16 Jul 2022 9:07 pm
Also, just to give you an idea of how not severe the symptoms were - I jogged 5 kms to pick up my free test kits. 2 days after I tested positive.
Aren’t you supposed to quarantine at home though?

smoulder
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1259
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Vertigo during covid

Post by smoulder » Mon, 18 Jul 2022 8:17 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 18 Jul 2022 4:24 am
smoulder wrote:
Sat, 16 Jul 2022 9:07 pm
Also, just to give you an idea of how not severe the symptoms were - I jogged 5 kms to pick up my free test kits. 2 days after I tested positive.
Aren’t you supposed to quarantine at home though?
Yes. But there are a few things that you have to go out of the house for. Medical attention if needed. And how do you pick up test kits without leaving your house?

If I understand correctly, you can go out in your own car, taxi or PHV. You are not allowed to take public transport. I guess jogging to an hdb void deck at 10.30pm isn't endangering anyone else :)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5940
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Vertigo during covid

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 22 Jul 2022 2:14 am

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 18 Jul 2022 8:17 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 18 Jul 2022 4:24 am
smoulder wrote:
Sat, 16 Jul 2022 9:07 pm
Also, just to give you an idea of how not severe the symptoms were - I jogged 5 kms to pick up my free test kits. 2 days after I tested positive.
Aren’t you supposed to quarantine at home though?
Yes. But there are a few things that you have to go out of the house for. Medical attention if needed. And how do you pick up test kits without leaving your house?

If I understand correctly, you can go out in your own car, taxi or PHV. You are not allowed to take public transport. I guess jogging to an hdb void deck at 10.30pm isn't endangering anyone else :)
Very true, I hadn’t thought about that. Back when I had Covid I was too weak to even get to the doctor so I just had to stay at home.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

cron