Singapore Expats

Anyone owns an electric car ?

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Anyone owns an electric car ?

Post by abbby » Sat, 16 Jul 2022 9:21 am

Would like to hear your experience and how it was compared to your petrol car before ie: maintenance, costs..? Petrol cost is rising indefinitely..
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Anyone owns an electric car ?

Post by smoulder » Sat, 16 Jul 2022 5:00 pm

The thing I'm most concerned about is how the heck are these things going to survive if taken outside of Singapore and beyond JB. Concerned about it because they have this plan to have only electric cars by 2040 😏

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 18 Jul 2022 4:27 am

abbby wrote:
Sat, 16 Jul 2022 9:21 am
Would like to hear your experience and how it was compared to your petrol car before ie: maintenance, costs..? Petrol cost is rising indefinitely..
Couple of friends of mine have Teslas. I’ve been very interested in getting one, but I’m currently toying with the idea of moving back to the states so don’t want to spring for anything big, even when my COE ends. They love it. It’s a great, fun car to drive. The only problem is that charging stations in Singapore are scarce, although they are increasing in number as many malls and condos are starting to include them. Still with only a couple charging stations at each location, it’s hardly enough.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 18 Jul 2022 4:29 am

smoulder wrote:
Sat, 16 Jul 2022 5:00 pm
The thing I'm most concerned about is how the heck are these things going to survive if taken outside of Singapore and beyond JB. Concerned about it because they have this plan to have only electric cars by 2040 😏
A huge problem with electric cars in is not even what you’ll do once you get to your overseas destination, but rather the difficulty of even taking them out of singapore and through the region. Electric cars for the most part are not engineered to go extremely long distances, so while you will be fine entering JB on a full charge, going further like to KL or Penang may pose quite a challenge.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 31 Dec 2022 4:13 pm

don’t do it. infrastructure not available yet.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 31 Dec 2022 4:46 pm

ok. why?

superchargers cost money. lots of money. like a whole other car’s worth. slow chargers… they’ll drive you insane from time to time (even a quick charger will do so).

use a paid charger outsid? they’ll usually not be available or not working or not quick charging (for whatever reasons beyond your mortal control).

get one as a toy, or as a second car. not a primary vehicle. you’ll find out that sometimes your car isn’t charged (yeah plugged in and was indicating a charge when you left it in the driveway…

imo, for now, even in tiny singapore, it’s not worth the hassle nor the anxiety.

if you must, save your money on the pricey charger and buy another car with an ice.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 01 Jan 2023 9:41 pm

Taxico - I concur. I spent 6 months working on 2022 on an EV charging program and I have a patent (lapsed) to solve the charging problem. It is THE problem to solve for EVs.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 01 Jan 2023 9:43 pm

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 03 Jan 2023 1:50 am

taxico wrote:
Sat, 31 Dec 2022 4:46 pm
ok. why?

superchargers cost money. lots of money. like a whole other car’s worth. slow chargers… they’ll drive you insane from time to time (even a quick charger will do so).

use a paid charger outsid? they’ll usually not be available or not working or not quick charging (for whatever reasons beyond your mortal control).

get one as a toy, or as a second car. not a primary vehicle. you’ll find out that sometimes your car isn’t charged (yeah plugged in and was indicating a charge when you left it in the driveway…

imo, for now, even in tiny singapore, it’s not worth the hassle nor the anxiety.

if you must, save your money on the pricey charger and buy another car with an ice.
What's an ICE?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 03 Jan 2023 1:51 am

PNGMK wrote:
Sun, 01 Jan 2023 9:41 pm
Taxico - I concur. I spent 6 months working on 2022 on an EV charging program and I have a patent (lapsed) to solve the charging problem. It is THE problem to solve for EVs.
I haven't really heard much about this though... my friends use their teslas daily. Charge at home or at public chargers in malls. Haven't brought up any issues.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 03 Jan 2023 7:00 am

ICE means internal combustion engine. That is one fueled by petrol etc.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by the observer » Tue, 03 Jan 2023 11:28 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 03 Jan 2023 1:51 am
PNGMK wrote:
Sun, 01 Jan 2023 9:41 pm
I haven't really heard much about this though... my friends use their teslas daily. Charge at home or at public chargers in malls. Haven't brought up any issues.
My concerns
1. Battery longevity
No issues now. How about when the car is 5 years old.

2. Will there be enough charging points when the EV take up increase?
Already hearing stories of EV point hoggers now.

3. Related to 1…
Can an older EV car handle the cross border congestion of 2-3 hours, before resuming the journey up to Malaysia? KL takes 7-8 hours nowadays with traffic conditions over holidays into account. A bit pointless to buy a car and be limited to just Singapore.

Edit: realized it’s mainly a rehash of all the points above…

In any case, feels like hybrid cars for the next decade seem to be best solution, for tree huggers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 03 Jan 2023 12:58 pm

I feel Singapore lacks any strong incentive that drives EV adoption for example, in Europe. The air pollution is generally low, there is also no legislation that would strongly encourage or enforce such adoption. The only clear light in the tunnel is more recent drive towards sustainability and green economy. This will eventually make it happens but the obvious question is when.

I would be less concerned about the EV performance part. This seems to be on its way to deliver functional replacement of the gasoline cars including distance to travel and speed of "refueling". But infrastructure is not there because there is not enough cars there yet. Some legislation kick is probably needed.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 10 Jan 2023 6:01 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 03 Jan 2023 1:51 am
…my friends use their teslas daily. Charge at home or at public chargers in malls. Haven't brought up any issues.
yeah, that can happen depending on the hours you’re doing it and /or where you stay.

but when you have a job, and other things to worry about, launching the app regularly to check on charging is very stressful and a hassle.

oil dude. couldn’t you have sold your patent to trolls?

even if just to cover your costs!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 10 Jan 2023 6:10 pm

the observer wrote:
Tue, 03 Jan 2023 11:28 am
My concerns
1. Battery longevity
No issues now. How about when the car is 5 years old.

2. Will there be enough charging points when the EV take up increase?
Already hearing stories of EV point hoggers now.

3. Related to 1…
Can an older EV car handle the cross border congestion of 2-3 hours, before resuming the journey up to Malaysia? KL takes 7-8 hours nowadays with traffic conditions over holidays into account. A bit pointless to buy a car and be limited to just Singapore.

Edit: realized it’s mainly a rehash of all the points above…

In any case, feels like hybrid cars for the next decade seem to be best solution, for tree huggers
the cells won’t stay optimum as long in singapore as they would in temperate climates.

i can’t imagine a fleet of old EVs baking in 40+’c heat in the open air car park.

then one catching on fire.

then finding out firemen arent properly equipped to fight EV fires and the whole car park goes up in flames (cue michael bay pyro).

and as for EVs breaking down at the most inconvenient places... boy, those things don’t go when pushed. people’ll find out the hard way.