Singapore Expats

employment contract late termination

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
budaoweng

employment contract late termination

Post by budaoweng » Thu, 07 Jul 2022 11:42 am

1. I have signed an offer. However, before I join the new company, Company B. I got a foot injury accident and have a few months hospitalisation.
2. The new company postpones the on boarding date since I am in the phase of foot recovery stage. No new contract has been issued.
3. The employment contract is suppose to start at May. And I want to decline to join the Company B in July. But Company B wants me to compensate them one month salary.

I am wondering why I still need to pay since the clause is stated termination before the commencement date, and obviously the commencement date has been dued.

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Re: employment contract late termination

Post by mystic_river » Thu, 07 Jul 2022 2:31 pm

https://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/contract-of- ... mployer-do

This should give you an answer. By right the company can’t claim s**t from you. Worse comes to worst, you could just show up on the first day and tender your resignation, which would cost the company even more as they’d have to pay you for serving the 2 weeks notice or whatever that’s stipulated.

Just out of curiosity, is this a local company?

budaoweng

Post by budaoweng » Thu, 07 Jul 2022 2:48 pm

1. I have re-read the clause and ask the HR the question that the clause is stated that before the commencement date and the contract date is under May. Then the HR keep silence with few following email.
2. I have asked the MWC free legal clinic the same thing. They have not replied me yet.

3. The company is an oversea company. It is an established and listed company, and over 100 years company, has a revenue over 21 trillion USD in 2021

budaoweng

Post by budaoweng » Thu, 07 Jul 2022 2:54 pm

rectification, it is 21 billion USD revenue in year 2021.