Singapore Expats

Role of Main tenant

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Anne_61

Role of Main tenant

Post by Anne_61 » Sat, 02 Jul 2022 11:14 pm

Hi to all!I’m the main tenant of our unit. I informed one of the tenant :-| that she will not be renewed or she will be end of contract.But she response to me that she stay longer to the unit and I don’t have the right to end her contract. I already informed the owner/landlord for this matter and he agreed in my decision not renew the tenant.But tenant told that even if this matter reach on the hdb community or even in the police i don’t have the right to end her contract. The reason why i will not renew is because I will used the room for my family.As a main tenant who signed in contract agreement between me and Landlord is it okay that i can make decision not to renew the other tenant?what is the duty or role of the main tenant?Please help me in this matter.

Search By

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Re: Role of Main tenant

Post by therat » Sun, 03 Jul 2022 9:29 am

Anne_61 wrote:
Sat, 02 Jul 2022 11:14 pm
Hi to all!I’m the main tenant of our unit. I informed one of the tenant :-| that she will not be renewed or she will be end of contract.But she response to me that she stay longer to the unit and I don’t have the right to end her contract. I already informed the owner/landlord for this matter and he agreed in my decision not renew the tenant.But tenant told that even if this matter reach on the hdb community or even in the police i don’t have the right to end her contract. The reason why i will not renew is because I will used the room for my family.As a main tenant who signed in contract agreement between me and Landlord is it okay that i can make decision not to renew the other tenant?what is the duty or role of the main tenant?Please help me in this matter.
you rent a whole unit HDB or condo?
Who sign the tenant agreement with the landlord/owner? Is her name inside?

Anne_61

Post by Anne_61 » Sun, 03 Jul 2022 9:53 am

I signed the tenant agreement. Her name also included in the agreement.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Sun, 03 Jul 2022 12:42 pm

What's the agreement between you and the sub-tenant? I need you would need to look into the finer details of both your agreement..was there any terms spelled out in the agreement or your side agreement that either party (you or her) can terminate the room lease for whatever reason?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Jul 2022 2:25 pm

abbby, OP did mention that she told the sub-tenant that she would not be renewing the contract. I'm a fish out of water here, but not renewing the contract isn't the same as terminating the contract is it?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Sun, 03 Jul 2022 3:56 pm

Just reads to me like main tenant is continuing the lease but without the sub-tenant, and main tenant wants to use the sub-tenant's room for her family. However, it's also not very clear whether has the contract has come to and end and thus sub-tenant is to leave or is the main tenant terminating the sub-tenant in the midst of the lease.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

therat
Editor
Editor

Post by therat » Sun, 03 Jul 2022 4:12 pm

HDB dont allow sub-tenant.

Assume
TA have OP and ST (Sub--tenant) name. OP sign the TA and submitted to HDB and pay stamp duty.
When renew TA, should be same OP and ST.
If only OP, then it is not renew TA, it is a new TA which need to submit to HDB and pay stamp duty

If the contact is due to renew and OP want to ask ST to left. That is between OP and ST.

So.. I dont understand OP want to end ST contract. They dont have contract each other.
Their contract is with Landlord /owner.

If OP and ST have contract among themselves. And it is a HDB unit.
That's mean it is a illegal subletting

Unless OP can tell us more about the contract. Or else....